Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,933 times

Advertisements

I used to live downtown as a kid, and now I'm wanting to move back. Since I'm cheap and I actually like smaller apartments, my budget is $750-$850 for a studio. And yes, I'm aware I'd be living in a crackerbox. Since I hate driving and refuse to own a car (hey, it saves me $600 a month... not including parking), I would like to live in good walking distance and/or close to public transportation. I should probably mention I'm a 5' female, so safety is also a top priority. I like to go out to see live music at night, but I never go alone.

What would be the best area for me to live? Also, how do you go about finding an apartment?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 05:21 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,251 times
There are plenty of websites to help you locate an apartment, I think Apartments.com is one but you can check realtor.com and the local papers like the trib or Suntimes also. However your price range puts some limitations on you if your looking in the downtown area, however I think your price range would work well in the near south or near northside. I was in Hyde Park last week and they had a big sign up advertising apartments from I think it was like $700 up at a place called flamingo or something like that.

Most areas in Chicago have good transportation, CTA busses, the el, Metra lines and other forms of transport make it easy to get around.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,841 times
Check out craigslist.com and chicagoreader.com also.

I'd suggest Lakeview. Lots of studios in your price range to choose from. My opinion is that Lakeview is pretty laid back and chill, if your looking for trendier areas like the Gold Coast your going to have a hard time with that budget. A co-op situation or a temporary sublet might play to your advantage in those neighborhoods.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:57 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Lakeview is a good bet for you because there are lots of studios, it's safe ad vibrant and many public transit options.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 PM

127 posts, read 442,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulMusic View Post
I used to live downtown as a kid, and now I'm wanting to move back. Since I'm cheap and I actually like smaller apartments, my budget is $750-$850 for a studio. And yes, I'm aware I'd be living in a crackerbox. Since I hate driving and refuse to own a car (hey, it saves me $600 a month... not including parking), I would like to live in good walking distance and/or close to public transportation. I should probably mention I'm a 5' female, so safety is also a top priority. I like to go out to see live music at night, but I never go alone.

What would be the best area for me to live? Also, how do you go about finding an apartment?

Thanks!!
First and for most do you live in Chicago? Just asking. But if you do you shuold check out Hyde Park or Beverly, those areas are really good for transpotation. Safty is the least to worry about in those nieghborhoods

Old 08-01-2008, 12:27 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChicago View Post
First and for most do you live in Chicago? Just asking. But if you do you shuold check out Hyde Park or Beverly, those areas are really good for transpotation. Safty is the least to worry about in those nieghborhoods
She stated she wants to move back to Chicago, meaning she doesn't live here now.

And if you down't own a car, I wouldn't recommend moving to an outlying neighborhood with only Metra access (Beverly). Hyde Park is a little better because its proximity to LSD, but its also not exactly known for its nightlife.

Look into Wicker Park as well. Lots of music venues in the area, very walkable, and a studio can definately be had at that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago