Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 PM

569 posts, read 1,812,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Are you really going to find great pizza in Kentucky compared to New York?
I think you meant Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 08:08 PM

990 posts, read 3,175,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
Who does that? It doesen't make any sense. I would have kindly asked for another without ranch dressing.
I know I told the lady in Manchester, but I ate it anyway because im a nice person. I think????

Old 07-30-2008, 08:54 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,291,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
I know I told the lady in Manchester, but I ate it anyway because im a nice person. I think????
*angry mob of Chicagoans heads over to Manchester NH to knock some sense into this woman*

Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
probably they don't have the Vienna Beef there...
Without Vienna Beef it cant be a true Chicago style dog.
You can come close with a Mt.Sinai or Best's Kosher dog however...

Stay-Stay-Stay away from Red Hot Chicago dogs,they suck bad.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 PM

904 posts, read 2,863,775 times
Seriously, I can understand your annoyance, but I'm also kind of surprised that you are surprised...plenty of food doesn't travel well....

Pizza. You cannot get good thick-crust pizza outside Chicago (even in New York). Conversely, you cannot get really good thin crust outside New York (sorry, guys - you can get some okay thin crust in Chicago, but it ain't the same).

You also can't get a good, proper Philly cheesesteak in Chicago. Conversely, I'd bet good money that the Italian Beef in Philly is no great shakes. And there's a place near my apartment with decent-enough bagels, but nothing like the ones in New York.

Such is why this stuff is regional, and I like it that way - gives places character.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
...Pizza. You cannot get good thick-crust pizza outside Chicago (even in New York). Conversely, you cannot get really good thin crust outside New York (sorry, guys - you can get some okay thin crust in Chicago, but it ain't the same)....
I am curious to know your thoughts on the Pizza places you have gone to in Chicago. I dont mind your honest opinions and will not argue with you. I just want to know where you have gone, what you got in these places, and what how you would rate them so I can mentally compare them to my own thoughts.

If you desire put your thoughts here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...icagoland.html

or here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...a-chicago.html

Old 07-30-2008, 11:28 PM

904 posts, read 2,863,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I am curious to know your thoughts on the Pizza places you have gone to in Chicago. I dont mind your honest opinions and will not argue with you. I just want to know where you have gone, what you got in these places, and what how you would rate them so I can mentally compare them to my own thoughts.

If you desire put your thoughts here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...icagoland.html

or here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...a-chicago.html
Hmm...glad you included those links. I've only gone to maybe four, five places so far, and while I've been impressed by much of the thick crust (Giordano's, Lou Malnati's), the thin crust has generally been mediocre. Probably the most well-regarded place I've gotten thin crust is Calo, and I found it disappointing. I thought Giordano's thin crust, which I ordered once out of curiosity, kinda sucked. There's a place near me, Primo, which is really cheap and has decent thin crust, but nothing special.

I'd guess I kinda jumped the gun on the whole you-can't-get-good-thin-crust-in-Chicago thing, heh.

Question - are there any places that use fresh mozzarella? To me that's the key to good thin crust, followed by the crust itself. I haven't found a place that uses it, they all seem to use that pizza cheese stuff (even Giordano's which uses fantastic cheese for it's thick crust, used subpar cheese for the thin).

I was on a bit of a thick-crust kick after first arriving here, but I'm gonna have to take down the names of some of those thin-crust places and try 'em out.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I'd guess I kinda jumped the gun on the whole you-can't-get-good-thin-crust-in-Chicago thing, heh...

Maybe not compared to what you like and what you are used to.Since I never had pizza from N.Y.C. I do not know for sure how well the thin crust I like in Chicago compares to it.

I am not offended by your comment at all.

I think you should try Manzo's or Pete's (you will probably have to dine in, they are too far from your house to deliver I think.)

I think Leona's uses the freshest cheese though and IMO they are closest to a good gourmet NY thin crust without me ever actually having the real thing. I would dine in there too. The one on Sheffield near Belmont is much better than the one on Sheridan in Rogers Park.

Also try Bacci Pizza. Its the huge slice greasy kind.

Let us know what you think after you try them good or bad.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 07-31-2008 at 12:06 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 08:56 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,321,431 times
Quote:

You also can't get a good, proper Philly cheesesteak in Chicago.
You know, some Philly natives might disagree, but Philly's Best is pretty darn good. I've had authentic cheesesteaks in Philly, and PB's is close. Not perfect. But close. My old boss was from Philly, and he conceded that they were the closest thing he'd ever had outside of Philly.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Quote:
Question - are there any places that use fresh mozzarella? To me that's the key to good thin crust, followed by the crust itself. I haven't found a place that uses it, they all seem to use that pizza cheese stuff (even Giordano's which uses fantastic cheese for it's thick crust, used subpar cheese for the thin).
If you try a high-end pizza place like Spacca Napoli or Coalfire you will get fresh mozzarella. In fact, I think Spacca Napoli makes their own Bufala mozzarella. And these places both have amazing thin crust pizza, but it's Neapolitain style, not New York Style (and they're pricey).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago