Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 07:30 PM

102 posts, read 376,760 times

Advertisements

This is a bit of an odd question, but I'm just wondering whether anyone can think of some good driving roads in the Chicago-area--highly curvy, possibly hilly, and ideally not crowded. Having a destination doesn't really matter. The only road that comes to mind for me is Sheridan north of Evanston. Anyone else have any other ideas???

I'm guessing there is something near the dunes in Indiana or michigan, but am pretty clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Even when weather is acceptable for driving perf cars w/max perf summer tires, Chic is one of worst regions in US for a car nut....topography yields endless flat, straight, boring rds throughout Midwest....

Sheridan in NS is tightly enforced....

Chic simply lacks the endless, rather convenient, mountain twisties that both LA and SF have....located <30mins from LA's Westside in Malibu cyns...or the mtns above SiliconValley....

Old 08-01-2008, 09:37 PM

102 posts, read 376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Even when weather is acceptable for driving perf cars w/max perf summer tires, Chic is one of worst regions in US for a car nut....topography yields endless flat, straight, boring rds throughout Midwest....

Sheridan in NS is tightly enforced....

Chic simply lacks the endless, rather convenient, mountain twisties that both LA and SF have....located <30mins from LA's Westside in Malibu cyns...or the mtns above SiliconValley....
Bummer, thought there might be some hidden gem somewhere. Yeah, even the rural roads are pretty flat and straight here. I think the bend in LSD might be the only curve in chicago!

Oh, well there's always chicago indoor racing...

Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
I think it is Maple Lake out in the Willow Springs area there are a few small areas of what you are looking for. They don't last long though.

Have you taken Sheridan north yet and how far did you go if you have?

We have those kinds of roads down here. When they are narrow they are not much fun unless you know you have the road to yourself. I'm was born in WV and always liked the windy roads as long as they are wide enough; some you can barely fit one car wide.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:19 AM

63 posts, read 160,332 times
Bump - any other input? Just moved here from Northern NJ where we have quite a bit of twisties and scenic routes but haven't seen much in the North Shore/Chicagoland... yet

Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
If you are up for a bit of a drive, Route 2, which runs alongside the Rock River, from Rockford south to Dixon, is absolutely magical.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 AM

121 posts, read 216,670 times
Hinsdale, though it's probably not going to be amazing. About the best you're gonna get.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:52 AM

801 posts, read 2,565,862 times
Try Route 171 southwest of the city. Catch it by taking the 171/Archer exit from I-55. You will have to wind through Summit and Argo, but then it opens up and takes you past the forest preserves. It follows an indian trail and eventually takes you to the older part of Lockport.

It's a great night drive, especially if it's a starry night or a full moon. Growing up in the city, 171 was one of the only roads we knew of where there wasn't much lighting, stoplights, or crossroad traffic.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM

801 posts, read 2,565,862 times
As far as the Dunes area in Indiana, you're going to be interested in Route 12. Please for your own good, skip the part that goes through Gary and don't catch 12 until you are at least east of I-65. There are going to be stop signs, towns, or stoplights every 5-10 miles, so its not great, but when you get east of Route 49, you'll have a good ten mile stretch that is a very scenic drive through the National Lakeshore. It is great in summer when you have a lot of tree cover and in early fall when the leaves start to change... just beautiful. Keep going east and you will have the opportunity to either keep going on 12 into Michigan (very interesting drive all the way north to New Buffalo, St. Joseph, and beyond) or to get closer to the lake in certain spots, for instance Lake Shore Drive in Long Beach, Indiana. The Michigan cities I mentioned are great places to stop and spend a few hours.

Your impressions of the Indiana/Michigan lakefront will be interesting to hear. Some parts are very developed, interesting, tourist-friendly, and have up-to-date amenities.

I've been on other parts of the Michigan lakefront that seem to have been stuck in time from 1960, with people who look the part, deserted small lakefront beaches and parks, and no amenities. It's very unusual. I think the people who grew up in a lot of these areas don't realize the value and the gift of this natural resource, and for one reason or another, Chicagoland has never embraced it either.

Michigan's lakeshore is certainly safe, but you will feel like its Kentucky or Alabama at times, and you wonder if all those stories about the Michigan militias are true. Let's say education, culture, prosperity, and modern development never reached a good portion of those SW Michigan counties.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:36 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,539 times
To my knowledge, these great driving roads are few and far between in the Chicago area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago