Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 02:23 PM

88 posts, read 357,647 times

Advertisements

Lake Shore Drive & 48th St (down by Burnham Park)

Is this the Kenwood neighborhood?

Can you tell me about:
-access to El/Bus
-food/shopping in 'hood
-safety

Any generalizations/stereotypes/things to know, etc.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 03:11 PM

102 posts, read 376,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinegar312 View Post
Lake Shore Drive & 48th St (down by Burnham Park)

Is this the Kenwood neighborhood?

Can you tell me about:
-access to El/Bus
-food/shopping in 'hood
-safety

Any generalizations/stereotypes/things to know, etc.
Thanks!
It's pretty desolate over there. You're close to the lake obviously, but there's not much else going on in the immediate area, just a couple of strip mall areas on 47th St since the co-op supermarket closed. You would be within walking distance to all the restaurants/shopping on 53rd st., which is a bit more lively. There are buses that go downtown on Lake Park and the metra is right there. The El is pretty difficult to get to from 48th and LSD.

As far as safety goes, 47th St. can get a little bit sketchy, but it doesn't get bad until you go further west to cottage grove or so. I've never walked around up there (because there really is no reason too), but it's probably not too bad. I personally would not want to live there--it's a bit too far north to be convenient for Hyde Park/UofC.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:35 PM

88 posts, read 357,647 times
OK...how does the CTA/Metra fares work? Is there a monthly pass that I can buy that gets me onto both systems or is it seperated and I would be required to pay for both CTA and Metra? Thanks.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinegar312 View Post
OK...how does the CTA/Metra fares work? Is there a monthly pass that I can buy that gets me onto both systems or is it seperated and I would be required to pay for both CTA and Metra? Thanks.
The two systems are separate. You can get a metra monthly pass with an extra link up pass that will allow you to ride CTA during rush hour only. A monthly pass to downtown with the link up is ~$100.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:45 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
I have to state, Ramo Nash, that I have never heard anyone describe 48th and Lake Park as desolate. The specific location is in Kenwood, near a Montessori school and the library. The area features very large private homes and some very hard to get into apartment buildings on Lake Park.

I don't know if you have been on 47th street between Cottage Grove and Lake Park lately, but I would not describe the area as 'sketchy'. I'm amazed frequently about the variance in the people I see jogging, pushing strollers and walking down 47th street.

There's very good transportation in the area with the Metra train and three different express buses to take one downtown. So the el is un-necessary, particularly since the express bus runs to at least 1 am. Grocery shopping in the area (which is a college town) is good at the Treasure Island or the late-night Village Foods. The Hyde Park area has the most variety and number of restaurants of any neighborhood south of the downtown; or many other Chicago locales.

As for safety, the area is patrolled by the Chicago police and the University police. And I have walked and biked in the area frequently. I advise anyone considering renting near there to check out the area and get opinions from some of the locals.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I have to state, Ramo Nash, that I have never heard anyone describe 48th and Lake Park as desolate.
Well, my point was that there's not much there besides some apartment buildings/strip mall stuff. It's 5+ blocks for a cup of coffee, a restaurant, or a grocery store. I'd describe the whole lake front area in hyde park as pretty desolate though.

Quote:
I don't know if you have been on 47th street between Cottage Grove and Lake Park lately, but I would not describe the area as 'sketchy'. I'm amazed frequently about the variance in the people I see jogging, pushing strollers and walking down 47th street.
I always found 47th and cottage grove is pretty horrid, actually (and I've lived in some pretty bad areas in woodlawn, for example). Take a look at everyblock and the explosion of activity that happens west of cottage grove on 47th...

Old 08-06-2008, 07:44 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,636 times
Thats Obamas Neighborhood!!

I think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago