Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 03:07 PM

403 posts, read 929,810 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to the Chicago area in the coming months, but my house is still waiting to sell here in NC. What I would be looking at in the Chicago area is meeting or event planning/coordinating. This is essentially what I do currently, and I thought Chicago would be a great place to get in to this line of work since it's a large convention and tourism city (lots of hotels, etc.). My sister lives in far western suburbs but would be willing to assist me with a place to live after the house sells until I get a job and am on my feet with an apartment. My wife and I were considering a staggered move in order to get one of us settled first to reduce stress (she would rent month-to-month until she comes up). The reason I considered this that I thought it would be much easier to look for a job while in-state as opposed to doing it from afar. I know sometimes employers won't consider you if you're not local.

On the other hand, I would prefer to land a job in Chicago while I'm here and have the two of us move up there together. Are there any transplants that have done this one way or the other? Which way would you advise to go? I'm afraid if I'm sitting in NC, sending out resumes it would be much more difficult to find something...am I wrong there? In either path--Are there any recruiting agencies you would recommend? It's all very complicated right now--any advice is appreciated. P.S. --We don't have a ton in savings, but we do not have children. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 03:53 PM

35 posts, read 118,390 times
My roommate and I moved in late May. Neither of us had a job, but we did have money saved (10,000+) for the move. I'm a teacher and I found a job the second week of June. My roommate is in the communications/HR field. He found a job in late June. Both of us tried to send out resumes prior to the move. It's definitely possible to have a job lined up before moving, but it takes a lot of effort and money (getting to the interview, etc). If there are jobs you're dying to apply to, by all means send out your resume as soon as you feel comfortable doing so.

I am not very familiar with your career field, however, so I can't offer you any advice as to current demand. But rest assured that my rooomate and I are both in competitive fields, and we secured jobs fairly soon after moving. And if you don't feel like being in NC anymore, then take the plunge and move whenver you feel ready. Chicago is a great city with lots of opportunity.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:37 PM

403 posts, read 929,810 times
Thanks for the advice. That's great to hear. Chicago certainly looks great, and it's encouraging to hear that you both were able to find work pretty quickly when you got there. Yeah--the traveling for interviews thing seems like a logistical nightmare with expenses, distance, etc. It might just be a matter of "taking the plunge" and getting up there. If we do it just right, it looks like it could be done without too much difficulty. Feels pretty overwhelming, though! I think the key is just getting there and doing what it takes to get established. Once things settle down and stabilize a little, I believe it will have been well worth it.

I'd love to get up there by autumn---I'm a big fan of fall in the Midwest.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:50 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,035,679 times
Good luck in the winter! It will certainly be a change from Raleigh!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
I don't know how typical or atypical my situation is, but when I was looking to make the move I applied for a few jobs, had a phone interview and then the company flew me up for an interview.

Like I said, I can't say that would happen for everyone, but I'd say it's certainly worth giving it a good shot before you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago