Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 12:51 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times

Advertisements

Yes you did create your own but it's artificial. Personally, its fine by me but to a nature buff, I can see why they don't count it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 01:02 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
But if you live in an ex-urb and the end of a cul-de-sac, the landscape of Chicagoland is about as depressing as it gets.

I dunno, I like the prarie, I find it grand and sweeping. I used to love the drive from Chicago down to Champaign on 47.

One thing I miss down here are the vistas and sense of space one gets on the prarie. And the prarie is so rich and the hills are so poor, they have about 2 inches of topsoil down here.

You know many look at mountains and hills and think how nice they are to look at but living in them can be pretty hardscrabble. Better places to travel through than to scratch a living from.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
"It is what it is" has landed on my Phrases Most Overused While Meaning Nothing list.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"It is what it is" has landed on my Phrases Most Overused While Meaning Nothing list.
It's an expression of futility. It's easier to say than, "Well, I can't change the situation, so I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it".

But then again, I don't use it much...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:25 PM

114 posts, read 546,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
If anything, it might be overrated.

Its' citizens seem overly desperate for attention. Chicago is what it is. A megatropolis that was created simply due to its' location which connected the east coast with the growing west. Chicago is a city built out of real means, not simply due to immigration or because of tourism. It is a great city that has a lot to offer, how could it not being the #1 city in the midwest? But afterall, it's in the midwest! home to the most boring landscape on Earth.

I think a lot of people kind of sneer at chicago and chicagoans because many of us just seem soooo eager to please visitors. who cares? just be proud of your city and work to better it. that's all that matters.
The only person I would expect to be hungry for attention is our nutjob of a mayor. Daily. He is so eager to have the Olympics even if he knows that Chicago will go into debt at the same time. some one needs to slap some sense that guy. I would think it to be amazing but nothing worth puting the city into debt. China is suferring a lot of financial issues as well.

as for climate. this summer was the best I have had. Temperatures mesured to the mid 70's lower 80's. Last winter the place was a winter wonderland. Icecles hang from trees a foot of snow piled on roof tops. one morning, I woke up and saw the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. I t was before th plows came to our house. it snowed all night and when I woke up there was about 16 inches of snow!!!!! I loved it.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
BJ, are you refering to Lake Michigan? It's not exactly "fresh" when you consider how often its' beaches are closed due to pollution...
don't mean that the drinking water isn't fresh. I went to the water tower and it was the freshest water I've ever had. some places have water that smell (and sometimes tastes like rotten eggs!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 PM

But if you live in an ex-urb and the end of a cul-de-sac, the landscape of Chicagoland is about as depressing as it gets.[/quote]

Some of the suburbs can be quite magnificent!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:00 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,513 times
your showing Manhattan against the whole city of San Fran. You also dont break down downtown barriars with Chicago, at least where the downtown starts and ends. Whereas Manhattan you know, because all of Manhattan is downtown. Basically NY has five times as many highrises as Chicago. Manhattan is eight miles long and three miles wide. Chicago is about two miles long by maybe two miles. Big difference. That map is very misconceived. Actually Torornto has more highrises than Chicago. I still like Chicago, but lets be accurate about our assessments.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:29 AM

20 posts, read 61,340 times
Default Chi, Northside perspective

Chicago is not underrated? To become a world-class city you have to have a few things: cosmopolitan atmosphere, uniqueness, and the arts.

Chicago's North side is what you would call a yuppie, suburban area. There you will find more people dawning University of Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, (add Big 10/12 school here) flags than showing allegiance to their newly adopted home.

This usually isn't a problem when the people dividing their loyalties are from different countries, but in the case of much of the Northside, not only are they Americans, but they bring no unique culture.

New York Italians brought pizza, the Jews brought breadmaking, Germans also brought their bakeries, the Puerto Ricans brought and developed new styles of Salsa, the blacks brought the lindy hop, jazz, hip hop, etc.

In LA, of course their movies are America's greatest influence overseas, in terms of culture. Their beaches were a breeding ground for surf culture and their streets gave birth to skateboard culture. Skateboarding is still a form of transportation in SoCal.

Chicago cannot live up to these two cities. It's becoming more and more gentrified with people asking where is the next "up and coming" neighbourhood, a euphemism for "where will there start building more coffee shops, offering more Asian Fusion restaurants, yoga studios, and wine bars."

Chicago has very little art. It is confined to painting, it doesn't extend to a new type of music genre as in NYC hip hop or SoCal punk rock, fashion, etc.

Also, Chicago Fashion is bland. The people don't dress like the live in a world-class city. The style is more H&M, Gap, and those major retailers. There definitely isn't anything original to be seen on the streets.

Ask. What stores does Chicago have that you cannot find anywhere else?

Chicago did spawn house music and it's own style of jazz and blues from the Southside, but that was some time ago, and for one reason or another other cities claimed credit for house music and other Chicagoan music contributions.

The culture in much of Chicago's young community is going to a bar and drinking alcohol all night. That's great is you are still at a frat house in college, but to be a world class city you have to do a little bit more than drink alcohol.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:01 AM

434 posts, read 1,482,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
The "flyover" term is often used by those in entertainment industry....an industry not known for its intelligence and known for sourcing most of its new "talent" from trailer parks throughout "flyover" land....most of these people can barely read/count/think, even when sober/drug-free, so tend to devalue their comments...

In the business/financial world, suspect many view Chicago region as one of world's 5 most powerful, well-balanced economic regions...

Population stats can often mislead...many places exist w/lots of people w/poor education levels working in low-wage/low-IQ industries (FL's urban regions, LasVegas region, etc etc)...

LA region, by most measures, is less affluent/well-educated than Chic region...need to also factor in that many of the most expensive houses on LA's Westside and Malibu are actually owned (and used as wkend houses) by those who made their money in SiliconValley/NYC/Chic, etc, not LA.....

Chicago just needs to go on a marketing blitz to boost its image. I own properties in Chicago and pray for its popularity and interest to rise. I now live in Dallas and the only thing you hear about chicago are the negatives in the media. This affects the world view on chicago. We live in a media driven society remember. its not about what a few people think its about the overall perception.
We need some new thinkers/leaders in the city to take the torch.
Chicago just posted its first population growth in years. Why is that? people don't know if they want to settle or move out. The city needs to create a brand that attracts and retains people. Not this transient atmosphere.

Chicago isn't underrated. Its under marketed.
get rid of the bad images of gangs, corrupt politics..

its a shame when nyc politics looks cleaner than chicago's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago