Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 02:25 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
Visited by overseas travelers 2007
1. New York - 7.1 million
2. Los Angeles - 2.7 million
3. Miami - 2.3 million
4. San Francisco - 2.2 million
5. Orlando - 2.1 million
6. Las Vegas - 1.7 million
7. Honolulu - 1.6 million
8. Metro DC Area - 1.2 million
9. Chicago - 1.1 million
10. Boston - 1.0 million

How does someone go by calling LA posers?? Think of your daily life and I guarantee you that you will find something invented in LA. LA invented the skater culture and Mainland United States surf culture started here with the invention of the shortboard surfboard, boogie board, and skateboard. T-shirts were invented by the USC football team in the 30's. Guess, Juicy Couture, Von Dutch, and 7 for all Mankind were as well. The Internet was born here (well the technology behind it) as well as Myspace. The Cheeseburger, hot fudge sundae, and other vaious foods. Paramount Pics, Universal, Metro Goldwyn Mayor, Columbia Pictures, 20th Century Fox?!?! SWAT team was invented in the LA area in the 1960's. The Space Shuttle, electric guitar, and the modern bathing suit are a few more random things. I am really not trying to be a troll, even though that is the response I am going to get. I am just trying to help you guys better understand LA for those of you who haven't been there and gain opinions based on media and motion pictures.
Haha nice, I didn't know overseas travelers were the only kinds of tourists. Haha you claim myspace a good thing? It has crippled the youth and made them even lazier good job!

The first guitar was obtained by a Wichita, Kansas based musician and the first recorded songs were made in Chicago, ouch!

Lets see what else do you have wrong, o the T-shirt actually goes as far back as Ancient Egypt and a type of cotton t-shirt was developed in England around 1880.

Retail skateboards were first marketed in 1958 by Bill and Mark Richards of Dana Point, California. They attached roller skate wheels from the Chicago Roller Skate Company to a plank of wood and sold them in their Val Surf Shops.

Guess was founded by Georges, Armand, Paul, and Maurice Marciano, four brothers born in Ouarzazate Morocco but who supposedly grew up in the south of France and were influenced by the culture and style in the region.

I've never heard of Juicy Couture, I guess only the rich LA people can afford that.

As for the Internet, although the basic applications and guidelines that make the Internet possible had existed for almost a decade, the network did not gain a public face until the 1990s. On August 6, 1991, CERN, which straddles the border between France and Switzerland, publicized the new World Wide Web project. The Web was invented by English scientist Tim Berners-Lee in 1989.

The Cheeseburger was invented in Pasadena, not LA.

The Sundae, well according to the Oxford English Dictionary, the origin of the term sundae is obscure. Various American localities have claimed to be the birthplace of the ice cream sundae. These claimants include Ithaca, New York; Two Rivers, Wisconsin; Plainfield, Illinois; Evanston, Illinois; New York City; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; and Buffalo, New York. In recent years, officials in Two Rivers and Ithaca have used the controversy to gain publicity for their cities.

Your right about the SWAT, good job!!

The space shuttle can go back to Nixon and the Apollo missions but the orgin is unsure.

The modern bathing suit can be partially granted to Brazil for the name "thong" or tanga.

I have been to LA many times and have seen it in person as fake and over priced. California in general is overpriced and overpopulated. LA is spread out and lacks a skyline, at least a true skyline like NY or Chicago. LA has more plastic surgeons then anywhere else in the country, does LA have a few self esteem issues? Read up on your facts before you claim what is from LA.

Last edited by mattywo85; 09-19-2008 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: Mis-spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 02:23 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Haha nice, I didn't know overseas travelers were the only kinds of tourists. Haha you claim myspace a good thing? It has crippled the youth and made them even lazier good job!

The first guitar was obtained by a Wichita, Kansas based musician and the first recorded songs were made in Chicago, ouch!

Lets see what else do you have wrong, o the T-shirt actually goes as far back as Ancient Egypt and a type of cotton t-shirt was developed in England around 1880.

Retail skateboards were first marketed in 1958 by Bill and Mark Richards of Dana Point, California. They attached roller skate wheels from the Chicago Roller Skate Company to a plank of wood and sold them in their Val Surf Shops.

Guess was founded by Georges, Armand, Paul, and Maurice Marciano, four brothers born in Ouarzazate Morocco but who supposedly grew up in the south of France and were influenced by the culture and style in the region.

I've never heard of Juicy Couture, I guess only the rich LA people can afford that.

As for the Internet, although the basic applications and guidelines that make the Internet possible had existed for almost a decade, the network did not gain a public face until the 1990s. On August 6, 1991, CERN, which straddles the border between France and Switzerland, publicized the new World Wide Web project. The Web was invented by English scientist Tim Berners-Lee in 1989.

The Cheeseburger was invented in Pasadena, not LA.

The Sundae, well according to the Oxford English Dictionary, the origin of the term sundae is obscure. Various American localities have claimed to be the birthplace of the ice cream sundae. These claimants include Ithaca, New York; Two Rivers, Wisconsin; Plainfield, Illinois; Evanston, Illinois; New York City; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; and Buffalo, New York. In recent years, officials in Two Rivers and Ithaca have used the controversy to gain publicity for their cities.

Your right about the SWAT, good job!!

The space shuttle can go back to Nixon and the Apollo missions but the orgin is unsure.

The modern bathing suit can be partially granted to Brazil for the name "thong" or tanga.

I have been to LA many times and have seen it in person as fake and over priced. California in general is overpriced and overpopulated. LA is spread out and lacks a skyline, at least a true skyline like NY or Chicago. LA has more plastic surgeons then anywhere else in the country, does LA have a few self esteem issues? Read up on your facts before you claim what is from LA.
Haha the first guitar was obtained by a man from Wichita, Kansas. Where did he obtain it?? LA. ouch is right. As for the T-shirt, well Egypt had a shirt, not T-shirt. The ones made in England were worn as underwear and not part of modern fashion. The modern T-Shirt that you wear today was invented for the USC football team. You got the founders of Guess right, but they moved to California in 1977 and founded the company in 1981 in Los Angeles, where its HQ resides. Too much to explain for the internet. As for the Cheeseburger, Pasadena or La, c'mon now don't play semantics with me. I don't care about your opinion on LA, and you probably don't care about my opinion on Chicago but I love Chicago, I just hate their smug, arrogant, California hating people. I wasn't trying to attack your opinion either, I just felt like stating facts. **** OFF PLEASE

Old 09-19-2008, 02:35 PM

127 posts, read 442,675 times
So many people hate on the city of Chicago because we tend to be arrogant sometimes but I think that if you mention the mid-west you got to mention Chicago because there is no other city that has the magnitude of fesitivals,parties,or activivties that we have. Plus its like what's the south without Atlanta or Miami, what's the east coast with out New york or D.C,what's The West Coast without Cali........ so if you ask me yeah chicago is underrated. Plus this tread proves my point of the surrounding cities wanting to be like Chicago lol

Old 09-19-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
No need to I'm out. I am sick of your arrogance and self indulgence and denial of being wrong. Peace
What happened? Couldn't take being wrong? Its not just Chicago that has a view arrogant negative view of LA its pretty much everyone that's not in LA.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:14 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
What happened? Couldn't take being wrong? Its not just Chicago that has a view arrogant negative view of LA its pretty much everyone that's not in LA.
Maybe that's the problem, they are mad that they're not.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:27 AM

20 posts, read 61,340 times
Quote:
Nope, people assume Las Vegas, Orlando, and LA are higher because of what they here but the truth is in the numbers. Chicago is second. How can anyone like LA anyway, I think its way to spread out, there skyline sucks, its polluted as hell, and way to many posers and fake people. Plus they only have one season all year, that's boring.
This is the second trite post I've seen. LA is too spread out? Really? What specific part of LA is too spread out? What should they do? Build Cabrini Green/ Robert Taylor-like project housing? By the way LA is very dense. LA is large because it began as farm land. Other cities like Portland and San Fran began as ports where it is more beneficial to be centered around the harbour.

Oh yeah, LA is more dense than just about every city in the USA.
City Mayors: Largest cities in the world by population density (1 to 125).
Why, because one house/apartment in Los Angeles can have 5,6,7 people living in one unit. How common is that in Chicago? So bring facts or go home chap.

We get what kind of person you are. We get where you are coming from DUDE. You hate math, but love statitstcs like density stats. But you don't like other stats like how economically diverse/mixed your city is.

You like to insult others because they live in cities where people drive cars. This is what we call "holier than thou." If you condemn others, remember others may rightfully condemn you, which results in back-in-forth bickering.

You like Brooklyn, San Fran, Portland, and all the other gentrifying "hipster" cities where suburban kids are suddenly calling home. Williamsburg is your absolute favourite because it has the right type of diversity, Asians and gay people.

You have been influenced by your friends to believe that you are saving the city.
You LOVE to read books that reinforce your mindsight, but seldom try to determine the logic of convention.

You have been told people living together spawns culture and arts. Wrong, Rural areas of the south where people can live miles apart yet still know of everybody in town will always have always and will always have more culture than a gentrified city with people living directly on top of each other.

You have hate country music and the South but LOVE Neko Case and Gillian Welch. Out of al the music you like, how much of the music comes from places that can't possible support art because they are too spread out. Bloodshot Records is based totally on country music. What kind of density do they have in the country?

Probably most disturbing is your quib about gangs in Los Angeles, which probably has more to do more with the state of lower-income minority youth not being integrated into society and instead of working on a solution you use it as a chance to insult other people. Listen just because your pretty neighborhood doesn't have the same problems doesn't mean you or your city is better. It just means more people in other cities are in need of being helped. It's not funny so don't laugh, it's a case of people lacking a strong network to guide them. Be humble, would you.

Quit already with this season crap. It's a weak, trite justification. Only people with horrible weather say that. Answer this, How many people from LA, San Diego, Spain, Florida come to Chicago during the wintertime to "experience" the excitement of having "more than one season"? Exactly.
LA is too full of fake people unlike Wrigleyville, Gold Coast, and Wicker Park.

You are too predictable. How many times have you actually been...no no...been to LA, not seen it on TV. That's Right. Stop hatin'!

-Muer

Old 09-20-2008, 02:52 PM

381 posts, read 842,569 times
19 pages. To read, or not to read, that is the question.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:20 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
Chicago is very underrated because of its midwestern location and the fact that it doesn't have quite the vibe of Los Angeles and New York. Chicago is in the midwest and the midwest for the most part is dying and boring. Chicago is very anti-midwest, but some people just don't quite understand that.
Thank you for saying that. To me, Chicago don't have that much in common with places like Indianapolis or Miwaukee. Chicago do have the ethnic neighborhoods you will see in NYC or LA. Chicago is like the only midwest city that have a large Latino population and a Chinatown and all the other major midwest cities are still mostly black and white except Minneapolis.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:25 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
at the end of the day, its still the midwest.
And speaking of region population. The Midwest on a whole have more people than the West Coast. California is the biggest state with 36 million, while the most of the other west coast states have less than 3 million people like Nevada.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:29 PM

I'm glad I don't live in LA. They are the second most polluted US city behind Pittsburgh(starting this year) in terms of short-term particle pollution and the most polluted by ozone and year-round particle pollution, that sucks!! There are at least 4 California cities in each of the three categories, that also sucks!!

See the list here: City Mayors: The most polluted US cities

Chicago on the other hand is the fourth greenest city according to that same site.

Also view here: The Top Ten Greenest US Cities | Yahoo! Green

I love how LA has one type of weather all year and they claim to be more diverse and anything below 50 is "bad weather". I have been to LA at least 15 times at all different times of year, I had a g.f who lived in Lynwood. I have also been to Highland Park, Eagle Rock, Eastside, Baldwin Hills, Venice Beach, Hollywood Hills, Brentwood....you get the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago