Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Lookout kid,,,,what are you on your own recommended site said that Toronto had almost twice as many highrises as Chicago and NYC has almost six times as many. So if NYC isnt' that much Chicago must be nothing. Get your facts right before you come on ranting and raving.
Learn to be civil if you want to get along here. This is a forum for adults. Act like one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 07:10 PM

64 posts, read 297,693 times
So are you guys serious. I grew up in the NYC area all my life, and i loved it to death. But I have been saving every single cent so that i can move to Chicago as soon as possbile. THAT CITY F'IN ROCKS MAN ! Even englewood or lawndale seems a lot better than south bronx bed stuy or newark

Old 09-27-2008, 09:33 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
at least chicago has a band named after it, and a song sweet home chicago
and LA has what?
we need to just give california back to mexico free of charge since we stole it form them, then we wouldnt need to be compared to Them
LA has pollution, sweet sweet pollution lol

Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 PM

64 posts, read 297,693 times
lets see here ... as far as density goes there are a lot of cities that are more dense than la
guttenburg nj
union city, nj
jersey city nj
newark nj
hoboken
chicago
boston
philadelphia
nyc
miami
cambridge
east orange nj
paterson nj
irvington nj
orange nj
san fransico all of these cities are more dense than la and about your farmland thing. nyc started as farm land so no excuse la is just sprawled out. the difference is that these cities were being made before the car la adapted to the car so you have to have a driveway for every house and you dont need as many stores in the neighborhoods when people can hop on the freeway and drive downtown and get something
Quote:
Originally Posted by muer View Post
This is the second trite post I've seen. LA is too spread out? Really? What specific part of LA is too spread out? What should they do? Build Cabrini Green/ Robert Taylor-like project housing? By the way LA is very dense. LA is large because it began as farm land. Other cities like Portland and San Fran began as ports where it is more beneficial to be centered around the harbour.

Oh yeah, LA is more dense than just about every city in the USA.
City Mayors: Largest cities in the world by population density (1 to 125).
Why, because one house/apartment in Los Angeles can have 5,6,7 people living in one unit. How common is that in Chicago? So bring facts or go home chap.

We get what kind of person you are. We get where you are coming from DUDE. You hate math, but love statitstcs like density stats. But you don't like other stats like how economically diverse/mixed your city is.

You like to insult others because they live in cities where people drive cars. This is what we call "holier than thou." If you condemn others, remember others may rightfully condemn you, which results in back-in-forth bickering.

You like Brooklyn, San Fran, Portland, and all the other gentrifying "hipster" cities where suburban kids are suddenly calling home. Williamsburg is your absolute favourite because it has the right type of diversity, Asians and gay people.

You have been influenced by your friends to believe that you are saving the city.
You LOVE to read books that reinforce your mindsight, but seldom try to determine the logic of convention.

You have been told people living together spawns culture and arts. Wrong, Rural areas of the south where people can live miles apart yet still know of everybody in town will always have always and will always have more culture than a gentrified city with people living directly on top of each other.

You have hate country music and the South but LOVE Neko Case and Gillian Welch. Out of al the music you like, how much of the music comes from places that can't possible support art because they are too spread out. Bloodshot Records is based totally on country music. What kind of density do they have in the country?

Probably most disturbing is your quib about gangs in Los Angeles, which probably has more to do more with the state of lower-income minority youth not being integrated into society and instead of working on a solution you use it as a chance to insult other people. Listen just because your pretty neighborhood doesn't have the same problems doesn't mean you or your city is better. It just means more people in other cities are in need of being helped. It's not funny so don't laugh, it's a case of people lacking a strong network to guide them. Be humble, would you.

Quit already with this season crap. It's a weak, trite justification. Only people with horrible weather say that. Answer this, How many people from LA, San Diego, Spain, Florida come to Chicago during the wintertime to "experience" the excitement of having "more than one season"? Exactly.
LA is too full of fake people unlike Wrigleyville, Gold Coast, and Wicker Park.

You are too predictable. How many times have you actually been...no no...been to LA, not seen it on TV. That's Right. Stop hatin'!

-Muer

Old 10-11-2008, 09:00 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,629 times
Default Tourism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
I've never been to Chicago but judging from the pictures, it's totally underrated.

It's one of the few cities in the U.S. that has such a huge downtown with world class skyscrapers like New York.

By the way, how big is tourism there?
Tourism is huge in Chicago. Navy Pier, Chicago's top tourism destination, ranks 10th in the US, according to Wikipedia. (Tourism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

If you want to join in on the conversation about Chicago tourism, check out this "Times Square of Chicago" thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/chica...e-chicago.html

Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,388 times
Hey Drover, I was being civil. Was stating my opinion, if you dont like it....good.. Go away, I dont need your frivilous little two cents..Go away please no one was even talking to you..beat it.. Scram.. caput...bounce...disappear....

Old 10-13-2008, 03:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Hey Drover, I was being civil. Was stating my opinion, if you dont like it....good.. Go away, I dont need your frivilous little two cents..Go away please no one was even talking to you..beat it.. Scram.. caput...bounce...disappear....
Where'd I put my spray-can of Troll-B-Gon?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:03 PM

89 posts, read 267,844 times
Chicago is under rated only because its a city in the midwest so people tend to look past it. I'm not bashing on any city but personally don't like NYC or the people from NYC because they are arrogant and rude...on the other hand I love LA, I love the weather, hills, the ocean...but LA is too spread out and the only places I'd ever live in LA...well, aren't exactly LA.. more like west coasts suburbs/cities near LA.
Everyone loves their city the most, thats why we all live where we live but when it comes to it i do think that people need to give Chicago a little more credit then its been getting

Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 PM

414 posts, read 884,547 times
I think Chicago gets underrated b/c alot of the coastal folks who have the greatest stake in national media tend to lump Chicago into what they call 'fly-over-country'. But I am from Kansas so what could I possibly know about anything, huh? :P

Old 11-06-2008, 04:15 PM

381 posts, read 842,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0nb0n View Post
Chicago is under rated only because its a city in the midwest so people tend to look past it. I'm not bashing on any city but personally don't like NYC or the people from NYC because they are arrogant and rude...on the other hand I love LA, I love the weather, hills, the ocean...but LA is too spread out and the only places I'd ever live in LA...well, aren't exactly LA.. more like west coasts suburbs/cities near LA.
Everyone loves their city the most, thats why we all live where we live but when it comes to it i do think that people need to give Chicago a little more credit then its been getting
If, and that's a big if, Mayor Daley gets his butt out of his throne Chicago and Cook County will be the same old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago