Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:43 AM

7 posts, read 34,002 times

Advertisements

hi everybody

I have some questions about Ms in computational finance that is offered by depaul university.. I hope that you have the answers and reply as soon as possible please...

I will be graudated next smester with B.s in Accounting .. I am from Bahrain which exists in perisan Gulf near Saudi Arabia.. and I wanna to see if there is a chance to complete this master degree .. this will depend on acceptence from depaul university to apply for this program, number of courses I need to complete, tution of the program and average living costs ( accomodation, dining, transfering, etc..).. I seareched in Depaul university website, but I didn't get enough answers .. specifcally I wanna know the whole tution for this program .. website does not offer the rates for this joint program ( between Kellstadt and CDM ) and not talk about the courses hourses ( for each course how many hours are consedered ) ... I would be grateful to get such information from you as soon as possible.

thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:00 AM

no body know ?!

please I wanna know about the tution as soo as possible.. please If any one study there ( depual university ), please try to ask for me about the tution for this program.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:30 PM

67 posts, read 207,884 times
Have you emailed someone at Depaul that is associated with the program to ask your questions?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:56 PM

88 posts, read 357,606 times
IIT in Chicago also has a Quant program worth looking at. Last I checked, it looked a little more industry-oriented and I would imagine you would get snatched up by a Trading Desk pretty quickly halfway through the program.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:59 PM

Also, check out these links:

Mathematical Finance:
IIT Stuart | Professional Master's in Mathematical Finance

MS Finance:
IIT Stuart | MS Finance

MS Financial Markets:
IIT Stuart | MS Financial Markets (http://www.stuart.iit.edu/cfm/ - broken link)

Good luck to you!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Have you emailed someone at Depaul that is associated with the program to ask your questions?
Bro JohnCU .. I don't know anyone there .. I tried to get some emails of interested people in this program, but till now I dont't meet them online to ask them.. If you know, or you could ask, any one of them .. please tell me , or ask him/her, to connect with him/her to ask him/her about the program .. I knew some certain things about the program, but the only thing I do not sure about it is the tuition for this program, and whether the international student's tuition differs from American student.
Also I'm confused with course's credit hours, we are here in University of Bahrain considered each course has three credit hours, but in Depaul I don't know whether they consider for each course 4 or 3 credit hours.

Bro/Sis brinegar312

It seems similar to that program offered by Depaul, and I think It is better than that .. but the main problem does not solved .. I wanna know the tuition and the duration for this IIT Stuart program to decide whether to go for this program at that institution.
I don't think I will be accepted for the program coz the admission requirments state that applicants should hold Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, engineering, or equivalent.

at the end thankx for ur response

Last edited by Sayed Ali; 08-10-2008 at 08:54 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 01:34 AM

Last time I checked, we are in America! Go for whatever program you want. If you have an Accounting background; leverage that and master those income statements/balance sheets and ratios. Then, move into some post-bac calc courses at IIT, as well as some hard science courses. If you have an Accounting degree and you are driven to work in trading desk/banks/hedge funds, there is plenty of opportunity in Chicago for you. Those academic advisors usually state fairly stringent requirements up front, but once you take a few of their "recommended courses" you are usually a shoe-in for the MS programs.
That MS Computational Finance program looks tough, dude. I just checked out the courses in that degree and it looks like you will be burning the midnight oil for a few years to get through those courses.
Want my advice? Figure out where it is you want to work and what role you want to take and then tailor a Masters degree towards that field. If you are set on trading contracts on big ag or energy derivatives, you better understand that Stochastic Calculus and pick a pretty solid program that'll groom you for that field. (Can you program computers/software at all?) But if you are willing to start out supporting trade and risk management, you can probably get on with an Insurance co and work your way up from there. That's a lot of money to be spending on a grad degree too...you sure you gonna spend your career in this area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayed Ali View Post
Bro JohnCU .. I don't know anyone there .. I tried to get some emails of interested people in this program, but till now I dont't meet them online to ask them.. If you know, or you could ask, any one of them .. please tell me , or ask him/her, to connect with him/her to ask him/her about the program .. I knew some certain things about the program, but the only thing I do not sure about it is the tuition for this program, and whether the international student's tuition differs from American student.
Also I'm confused with course's credit hours, we are here in University of Bahrain considered each course has three credit hours, but in Depaul I don't know whether they consider for each course 4 or 3 credit hours.

Bro/Sis brinegar312

It seems similar to that program offered by Depaul, and I think It is better than that .. but the main problem does not solved .. I wanna know the tuition and the duration for this IIT Stuart program to decide whether to go for this program at that institution.
I don't think I will be accepted for the program coz the admission requirments state that applicants should hold Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, engineering, or equivalent.

at the end thankx for ur response

Old 08-11-2008, 08:56 AM

223 posts, read 757,360 times
Default Google is your friend

Faculty involved with the DePaul program:

Computational Finance at DePaul University (http://mycti.cti.depaul.edu/programs/cf/ - broken link)

Tuition:
Cost of Attendance - 2008/2009 Tuition (http://studentaccounts.depaul.edu/cost/tuition0809.asp - broken link)

DePaul Housing:
DePaul :: Housing Services :: Rates

AFAIK DePaul graduate courses are 4 credit hours each. Assumming that, for each class from the College of Commerce you would pay about 3,160 per course. For the Computer Science classes you would pay about 2,500 per class.

If you take one class from each College (times*3 quarters), that's approximately 16980/yr tuition alone

If you choose to live in the dorms you are looking at least 14,000/yr for a studio.

Given all that, a conservative estimate is that you would need about 35,000/yr for tuition, board, books, etc...

Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinegar312 View Post
Last time I checked, we are in America! Go for whatever program you want. If you have an Accounting background; leverage that and master those income statements/balance sheets and ratios. Then, move into some post-bac calc courses at IIT, as well as some hard science courses. If you have an Accounting degree and you are driven to work in trading desk/banks/hedge funds, there is plenty of opportunity in Chicago for you. Those academic advisors usually state fairly stringent requirements up front, but once you take a few of their "recommended courses" you are usually a shoe-in for the MS programs.
That MS Computational Finance program looks tough, dude. I just checked out the courses in that degree and it looks like you will be burning the midnight oil for a few years to get through those courses.
Want my advice? Figure out where it is you want to work and what role you want to take and then tailor a Masters degree towards that field. If you are set on trading contracts on big ag or energy derivatives, you better understand that Stochastic Calculus and pick a pretty solid program that'll groom you for that field. (Can you program computers/software at all?) But if you are willing to start out supporting trade and risk management, you can probably get on with an Insurance co and work your way up from there. That's a lot of money to be spending on a grad degree too...you sure you gonna spend your career in this area?
I know that this program is very tough and hard .. but I have to cope with these difficulities because my plan is to be an CFA after completing this program and see myself inclined more to financial analyses.. I chose to go for this program coz it will give me strong tools that will help me to navigte in financial anlyses field .. the field of financial analyses is atractive and investment companies, banks, consultancy compnies, ... etc request specialests in this filed and offering them luring salaries..

Quote:
we are in America! Go for whatever program you want
you mean that ( the institution ) it would accept me even I am not graduated with mathmatics or engineering ...

Last edited by Sayed Ali; 08-11-2008 at 08:42 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
Faculty involved with the DePaul program:

Computational Finance at DePaul University (http://mycti.cti.depaul.edu/programs/cf/ - broken link)

Tuition:
Cost of Attendance - 2008/2009 Tuition (http://studentaccounts.depaul.edu/cost/tuition0809.asp - broken link)

DePaul Housing:
DePaul :: Housing Services :: Rates

AFAIK DePaul graduate courses are 4 credit hours each. Assumming that, for each class from the College of Commerce you would pay about 3,160 per course. For the Computer Science classes you would pay about 2,500 per class.

If you take one class from each College (times*3 quarters), that's approximately 16980/yr tuition alone

If you choose to live in the dorms you are looking at least 14,000/yr for a studio.

Given all that, a conservative estimate is that you would need about 35,000/yr for tuition, board, books, etc...
Google is our friend .. I searched there and went to these sites you put .. but I didn't get any info tells that graduate courses are 4 credit hours each ( thanx for that ) ...

Bro vandre, deapul uni has 4 or 3 quarters a year ? .. I think summer or autumn quarter doesn't offer graduate courses ... is it right ?

I agree with your consevative estimate .. it seems logical

Last edited by Sayed Ali; 08-11-2008 at 08:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago