Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,948 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Chicago from Indiana and want to know if I need a city sticker to park outside of my apt. (around Canal & Fulton) with out of state plates, or can I park without one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:27 AM

35 posts, read 118,099 times
I don't think you need city stickers if you still have your Indiana plates, but you have to register the vehicle with Illinois within 90 days I believe. You'll need to get any necessary city stickers at the same time.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:39 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,421,704 times
"New Residents of Chicago:
You have thirty (30) days (from the date of your move) to purchase your city sticker without incurring the late fee penalty. This transaction must be made in person at a sales location and you're required to present documentation at the time of purchase to establish your move date such as a valid lease or property bill of sale."

Office of the Chicago City Clerk

You have 30 days as well to get Illinois plates and registration.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/vsd27122.pdf (broken link)

"I will be working in/moving to Illinois. How do I obtain a driver's license in your state?
Drivers moving to Illinois may use their valid driver's license from their home state or country for 90 days. You may obtain an Illinois driver's license or identification card only if you are becoming a legal resident of Illinois. If you have a valid driver's license from another state or country, you may use it to drive in Illinois throughout your stay, if you do not plan to become a permanent resident of this state. Illinois does not recognize the international driver's license. To receive an Illinois driver's license or ID card, you must provide acceptable identification to prove name, date of birth, Illinois residency, Social Security Number and your signature for comparison. For examples, please refer to the complete list of acceptable documentation."

Most Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/general/most_faq.html - broken link)

Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM

328 posts, read 1,390,479 times
Default Don't need stickers if not required

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownGal2 View Post
I just moved to Chicago from Indiana and want to know if I need a city sticker to park outside of my apt. (around Canal & Fulton) with out of state plates, or can I park without one?
Is your street "zoned"? (meaning you need a 383, LV2, some sort of sticker to park there)? If you don't require a "zone sticker", then you don't need to bother.

I know at least a dozen people who have lived here several years and have maintained their out-of-state addresses. A good friend of mine recently bought a car here with his Florida plates, paid Florida sales tax because of it, and doesn't have a city sticker. He has garage parking though (so no worries about a city sticker), but his car is registered to his chicago address (for insurance purposes).

So even though you are technically supposed to throw illinois plates on it and pay for the city sticker every year, if you have an address that you can maintain (meaning, someone who still lives in indiana, maybe your parents?), you don't need to change it.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
^^I wouldn't suggest that. With street parking, those tickets will start piling up fast.

Also, we had to order our city sticker off the internet and wait two weeks because it's too late in the year to buy them in most of the stores.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 PM

838 posts, read 3,085,215 times
Been in Chicago years and no parking ticket so far:P

Old 08-13-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
... He has garage parking though (so no worries about a city sticker), but his car is registered to his chicago address (for insurance purposes)...
If that is the case when you get pulled over and the cops see an insurance card with a Chicago address (and you have no city sticker) wham bam-there is your ticket.

City of Chicago employees with the power to write parking tickets (cops included) can go into parking garages and write tickets.

You know, you can call 311 and have the city come out and write tickets on vehicles that do not have stickers if you have seen them parked for over 30 days in a parking garage ,on a street,or in a driveway for that matter.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:09 AM

328 posts, read 1,390,479 times
Default clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
If that is the case when you get pulled over and the cops see an insurance card with a Chicago address (and you have no city sticker) wham bam-there is your ticket.

City of Chicago employees with the power to write parking tickets (cops included) can go into parking garages and write tickets.

You know, you can call 311 and have the city come out and write tickets on vehicles that do not have stickers if you have seen them parked for over 30 days in a parking garage ,on a street,or in a driveway for that matter.
His garage is a private garage for a small building, only 6 spaces total in there.

I realize that you could do it (call 311), but there would be no point for me. I don't own a vehicle that could potentially be parked there, so who am I to care that they are parked there with out-of-state plates and live here? I know I could do it, but I don't see the point in spending my free time doing it.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
His garage is a private garage for a small building, only 6 spaces total in there.

I realize that you could do it (call 311), but there would be no point for me. I don't own a vehicle that could potentially be parked there, so who am I to care that they are parked there with out-of-state plates and live here? I know I could do it, but I don't see the point in spending my free time doing it.
Well some people are busy bodies. We all know the type. That is all I am saying. Also, people do it as revenge...

Just because you park in a private garage does not mean you are 100% safe from a ticket. Maybe 95% safe, but not 100%. That is all I am saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago