Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,355 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Chicago and living along the Red Line somewhere between Lakeview and downtown. I'm concerned because I saw some other posts about trains being so crowded during the morning commute that riders can't get on. So my specific question is which stops are likely to experience this problem? Am I actually going to make my commute "worse" by living closer to downtown?

I am new to this site so I apologize if I wasn't able to find the answer to this question in the other posts.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 AM

51 posts, read 114,539 times
I live off the Belmont stop and it's a madhouse, but mostly because the stop serves 3 lines. Same with Fullerton. I would live as far North as you can before becoming inconvenienced, because by the time the trains get here people are packed like sheep.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Conditions are fine at Addison and Sheridan... You'll get on at Belmont, but may have to let a full train go by occasionally.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,355 times
Thanks for the responses! One of the places I was looking at was actually right near Belmont stop. So does that mean if you live even closer to downtown like in Lincoln Park/Old Town/Gold Coast that it only gets worse after Belmont?

Old 08-21-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfdave View Post
Thanks for the responses! One of the places I was looking at was actually right near Belmont stop. So does that mean if you live even closer to downtown like in Lincoln Park/Old Town/Gold Coast that it only gets worse after Belmont?
Well, the Brown line isn't as crowded. And from Belmont and to the south you can ride the Brown, Red, or Purple lines

Old 08-21-2008, 09:34 PM

51 posts, read 114,539 times
I don't know what brown line you're riding, but my brown line is crowded as hell. All those NW neighborhoods seem more popular lately and there is a greater number of people on the line. And they never get off until the mass exodus at Washington/Wells.

You get used to it though! It's great living off 3 major trains and buses, cause there's always a way to get home cta-wise.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 AM

529 posts, read 1,301,333 times
I have lived in Old Town, Lincoln Park and Lakeview in that order. Getting on the train at Belmont was obviously the easiest, you'd rarely get seats but most probably you wouldn't have to wait for long to get into the L, at the Fullerton stop you'll have to get close to the front or the back of the trains if you want to get in quickly otherwise you'll wait for a while. In Old Town I'd take the bus 70% of the time since waiting for a brown line in which I could get in would take me a loooong time.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:03 AM

What was up with the Red Line this morning? Why did they divert out of the subway? It took me FOREVER to get into work this morning...

Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,250,407 times
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't hesitate to live around the red line at Belmont because the train may be crowded....it's still a great area to live and you'll have to deal with crowds regardless. Also, the extra time you spend on the train (if you go much farther north) will probably equal the time you'll have to spend waiting for a second train. And, as others mentioned, depending on where you work, you'll have access to other train lines at the Belmont stop.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:26 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
At Belmont you'll almost always get on any brown or red line coming by since people switch at that stop and you can jump on.

Anything south of Belmont is where it gets messy. The brown line seems much harder to board than the Red Line, but by Fullerton it gets really bad.

The Red Line at Clyborn and Clark/Divison is a bad bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago