Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,891 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Hyde Park as a graduate student at the University of Chicago. I am moving from Europe with my husband and my two dogs. Does anyone have advice about looking for dog friendly apartments? Has anyone had positive/negative experiences living in the University's Graduate Housing? Please help, as I need to ensure my dogs can move with us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 02:47 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,974 times
There are plenty of options. So much depends on taste and budget. There are several very popular high-rises near the lake, all of which accept dogs. Some people however like older vintage apartments (some allow dogs, many don't). Some people want to be right in the "golden rectangle", others by the lake for easier quick exit of hyde park. Some feel more nervous on the fringes, others think all of Hyde Park is completely safe. I would state preferred budget, then area of HP/proximity to campus, then apartment type (high-rise, modern, vintage, six-flat, etc.). I could then offer some suggestions.

University graduate housing is pretty well run in my experience, if very basic and no-frills. Properties are spread out all over hyde park. South of the midway (where they run several large properties) is too isolated from lake and main commercial districts in my opinion, so I would avoid it.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,192,341 times
The main dog fancier group meets in Nichols park between 55th and 53rd st so if you rent an apartment near there (the park is between Kimbark and Kenwood) you will be among many dog lovers. They seem to get together each evening. I think there is graduate housing on 51st st (hyde park blvd) and some other areas. As a rule, the university graduate housing is more user-friendly than the private rental services in the area.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 PM

74 posts, read 87,662 times
2 dogs eh? They should be able to crap out on the Midway just south of campus. Hyde park is where all the whacko reverand "limousine liberals" like Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, and Louis Farkan have their mansions. I just think that area eptiomizes hypocracy.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,192,341 times
Well, neither Rev. Sharpton or Jackson live in Hyde Park. Minister Farrkhan actually lives in Kenwood. You seem relatively uninformed.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:46 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,974 times
Long ago Jesse Jackson lived in Jackson Park Highlands, about a mile from Hyde Park (part of South Shore I think). Never heard anyone say that Al Sharpton lived anywhere near the area. Obama lives in Kenwood. Anyhow, it's not like one or two people epitomize a neighborhood of 50,000.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 PM

74 posts, read 87,662 times
My U of C buddy must have misinformed me. The area is still a bastion of limousine liberals - hypocrites - pussycrats- users- and many others who take advantage of the poor to advance their own elitist propaganda simply because they are of the same race. The whole campus is literally an island or atoll of supposed "prestige" in a huge, bad area.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 PM

399 posts, read 554,926 times
I'm applying for a lab (Business Intern Scholarship) at the UofC during Winter Break.
Did not want to start a thread by itself.

My question is.. are there "interesting" things to do in the Beginning of January? that is not a religious holiday? Lol

Old 06-26-2008, 07:54 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,234,283 times
LOL, I thought Sharpton lived in New York?

Anyhoo, OP Hyde Park is a dog's paradise. You won't have many problems with your dogs there.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,515,411 times
How could you not know Al Sharpton is a New Yorker?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago