Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 03:37 PM

14 posts, read 30,830 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Chicago from Portland, OR - checking out the Ravenswood area for an apartment. My boyfriend will have a job in Palatine, IL - right off the Metra UPNW line. We are thinking about him potentially biking to the Jefferson Park station, parking his bike, or taking it on the metra (reverse commuting..I think it's allowed?) He bikes 6 mi each way to work now, so 4 mi isn't so much of a problem. The commute will suck for him either way since Palatine is so way out....or he could take the bus to the metra station. We were also looking at bucktown since it is closer to the Clybourn station.

I have been told by many folks that we should be in ravenswood but it seems like it might make his commute more difficult. We like: neighborhoods with a neighborhood feel, trees, farmers markets, biking, coffee shops, trader joes, good produce (how are there no coops in chicago????), and friendly people.

Any input would be fabulous!

THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 07:34 PM

732 posts, read 2,980,783 times
As far as commuting by bike from Ravenswood, Elston Ave and Lawrence Ave both have designated bike lanes (Lawrence's sometimes take the form of shared lanes). I've never had a problem using Lawrence but haven't tried Elston before. Your boyfriend could also take his bike on the bus in the morning (it's allowed even during rush hour) and leave it at Jeff Park and ride home in the evening.

The city's web site has some dedicated bike pages that you should check out.

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
The bike lanes on Lawrence wouldn't be shared because it would be a reverse commute. Only the inbound lane would be shared in the morning, and only the outbound in the afternoon.

Elston seems easier to ride since it's a little wider than Lawrence and it doesn't have any rush-hour lanes, so the "shared lane" issue isn't an issue.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:21 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Ravenswood is nice and everything, but Bucktown is probably a more happenin' neighborhood, actually. I don't see many advantages to living in Ravenswood over Bucktown if it adds this much trouble to your commute (unless you have kids). The six-corner area of North, Milwaukee, and Damen can be Madness, but the Bucktown strip on North Damen is one of the nicest commercial strips in the city. I'd recommend checking it out, have lunch at Cafe de Luca, and then see if Ravenswood is still what you want.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Ravenswood is nice and everything, but Bucktown is probably a more happenin' neighborhood, actually. I don't see many advantages to living in Ravenswood over Bucktown if it adds this much trouble to your commute (unless you have kids). The six-corner area of North, Milwaukee, and Damen can be Madness, but the Bucktown strip on North Damen is one of the nicest commercial strips in the city. I'd recommend checking it out, have lunch at Cafe de Luca, and then see if Ravenswood is still what you want.
Yeah, I keep taking a stab at Ravenswood because I know a bunch of friends of friends in that neighborhood. I don't think it is all that manageble, but I would like my boyfriend to check it out before settling on Bucktown. He will be moving to Chicago 6 months before I make it out there, so I am trying to pick the neighborhood, and he picks the apartment Obviously we are very limited by his need to take the Metra UPNW line. Is Bucktown walkable (ie. are there tree-lined streets off the main drags that would be nice for a walk)? I think there is a Trader Joes and maybe a whole foods in that general vacinity, is that right?

Old 08-17-2008, 01:18 PM

258 posts, read 760,187 times
There are other stations on the UPNW line. Irving Park, for instance. A place in the North Center/St. Ben's or Lincoln Square south neighborhood, for instance, might work nicely. On days when cycling is unpleasant, you have express buses on Irving Park Road.

See the CTA/Metra lines at 1-888-YOURCTA | System Map - North (http://www.yourcta.com/maps/maps/200806N.html - broken link)

See the cycling routes at Streets for Cycling

Old 08-17-2008, 03:58 PM

[quote=Lookout Kid;4889067]Ravenswood is nice and everything, but Bucktown is probably a more happenin' neighborhood, actually. I don't see many advantages to living in Ravenswood over Bucktown if it adds this much trouble to your commute (unless you have kids). quote]

Nope, no kids. I would just like a neighborhood that is walkable, has a lot of restaurants, and some bars where I can play pool - not "yuppy" martini hangouts, clubs, etc. I mean, it can have those, but that's not what we are seeking out. Not into chain stores/restuarants/starbucks, though those seem to be everywhere these days.

Eventually we would like to buy - i am thinking bungalow with a backyard - but cant afford a down payment just yet....

Old 08-17-2008, 09:07 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Bucktown is more walkable than Ravenswood, I would say. There's definitely more in terms of shopping, restaurants, etc. in Bucktown. But the nightlife is a mixture of Yuppie and Hipster (it used to be the major artist/hipster neighborhood along with Wicker Park to the South).

Ravenswood is more of a low-key family neighborhood these days, and there are strollers everywhere. Lincoln Square is probably the most walkable part of Ravenswood.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Lots of tree-lined streets, Wicker Park the park is lovely (yesterday we walked around some of the vendors at the farmer's market and then sat under a tree listening to the jazz concert they had going on and ate the apple I'd just bought - made me so happy to live in this 'hood!) and there is a Whole Foods about a mile east (along with pretty much any big box shopping you might need like a Bed, Bath and Beyond, Borders, Home Depot etc)

Old 08-20-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Lots of tree-lined streets, Wicker Park the park is lovely (yesterday we walked around some of the vendors at the farmer's market and then sat under a tree listening to the jazz concert they had going on and ate the apple I'd just bought - made me so happy to live in this 'hood!) and there is a Whole Foods about a mile east (along with pretty much any big box shopping you might need like a Bed, Bath and Beyond, Borders, Home Depot etc)
Thanks!! That is exactly what I wanted to hear I think it is going to be Bucktown/Wicker park. In case we are too far to walk to the Clybourn Metra stop (which, I consider more than a 25 min too far , I would assume there are buses that run to that destination from Bucktown/WIcker park? I can look online, but I am lazy right now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago