Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the green line, east leg going all the way to Jackson Park?
Could swear when I was a kid, we took it to Museum of Science and Industry. If yes, why was it shortened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 01:46 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Does anyone remember the green line, east leg going all the way to Jackson Park?
Could swear when I was a kid, we took it to Museum of Science and Industry. If yes, why was it shortened?
Apparently the el segment over the Metra Electric lines was structurally unsound so the Green line was shortened to Dorchester. Then AFTER the Green line was completely refurbished in the 1990s, community opposition (ie Rev Arthur Brazier) to the el tracks resulted in the terminus moving to Cottage Grove. (Chicago-l.org has a good summary Chicago ''L''.org: History - The CTA (1990-present))

This was a stupid, stupid move since once those tracks are gone they will never come back.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:58 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Just so you all know : The Irving Park station on the Brown Line is reopening on Dec. 6th,2008 at 4am.

Countdown To A New Brown | Irving Park Station
I noticed that they added a new traffic light and crosswalk to help people cross Irving Park Road at the station. This is a good idea, though there is another traffic light a block away at Ravenswood.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:02 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Apparently the el segment over the Metra Electric lines was structurally unsound so the Green line was shortened to Dorchester. Then AFTER the Green line was completely refurbished in the 1990s, community opposition (ie Rev Arthur Brazier) to the el tracks resulted in the terminus moving to Cottage Grove. (Chicago-l.org has a good summary Chicago ''L''.org: History - The CTA (1990-present))

This was a stupid, stupid move since once those tracks are gone they will never come back.
That's what I thought. And 63rd street east of Dorchester has empty lots and doesn't look all that developed. Another example of knee-jerk emotions hijacking logical thinking

Old 12-03-2008, 09:02 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I noticed that they added a new traffic light and crosswalk to help people cross Irving Park Road at the station. This is a good idea, though there is another traffic light a block away at Ravenswood.
I think it is a great idea. I think they should add lights at many stations under the tracks. Addison,Belmont, and Fullerton come to mind right off the bat.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:07 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times

Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 PM

10 posts, read 59,511 times
Default Why is our CTA train enviroment so ugly?

Why is our CTA train enviroment so ugly?
I've been on subway systems throughout the us, and I don't understand why our trains in the city are so unappealing to the eye. They are some of the dirtiest trains and they could do something simple like changing the color scheme or brightening up the tunnel walls, it's usually very dark and gloomy. Maybe add some ambiant lighting or even some decorative elements. Take St. Louis for instance, well obviously they are a much smaller city but their rail system is very clean and appealing to look at. The inside of the trains have a pleasant gray/white interior with red lined seats with more comfort then our trains, and the stops are well lit, and some have multiple flashing color schemes that are pleasant to look at, along with modern, clean concrete walls and even some decorations to pass the time as you wait for the train to arrive. Even ancient areas of Europe have a much superior train system in terms of the overall design and feel, the Chicago cta subway system simply feels grimy, dirty and old, which is a shame for such an amazing city overall. Obviously the CTA is strapped for cash and doing a make over is probably the last things on their agenda, but I was just curious if anyone else has wondered this and if anyone agrees at the ugliness of our rail system overall.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:48 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
wtf??

Nevermind, I thought this was a repost.

I just saw it in another forum.

Anyway, I think the grimy, dirty, old thing is something Chicago trains have always had.

Plus they're pretty old.

Last edited by Venom; 01-26-2009 at 12:01 AM..

Old 01-26-2009, 12:02 AM

161 posts, read 411,627 times
Default trains

The best trains in St. Louis go one way out of the city. You were probably on an Amtrak with red lines on the seat heading through St. Louis to a real city.

When you were in Ancient Europe you may have been on the Eurorail...

Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyHunter View Post
Take St. Louis for instance, well obviously they are a much smaller city but their rail system is very clean and appealing to look at. .
While I share your sentiment, you are comparing a transit system that is largely a decade old and lightly used to one that is nearly a century old and has easily 10x the use?

Does your 15 year old daughter look better than her 85 year old great grandmother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago