U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,760 times

Advertisements

I am moving in March to work with kraft in northbrook. i heard wicker park and bucktown were good places in the city to stay. Any ideas as to what goes on in these areas? Any information could help me. thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 05:04 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,293,123 times
Bucktown/Wicker Park is one of the city's premier entertainment/nightlife districts. In fact, in about 3 hours I will at a concert at The Double Door. There are a lot of upscale bars and restaurants, some funky coffeehouses, an art gallery here and there, and lots of chic second-hand clothing stores. ("Chic second-hand store" may sound like an oxymoron until you actually see some of these places.) As happened in many urban neighborhoods, Bohemian/Beatnik/Artistic-types were the first ones to begin the process of gentrifying the area. Once they get a foothold it usually doesn't take long before standard urban yuppies follow, and that has happened in Bucktown & Wicker Park. But it has still managed to retain a lot of its artsy vibe.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:28 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,497,300 times
Agree with everything Drover says, but just realize it's gonna be a hike to get to Northbrook and back again every day from there. The back again would be the worst part.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:23 AM

38,704 posts, read 95,293,123 times
Yeh, mdz has a point. I didn't really bring it up since you said you were looking to "stay" in Wicker Park/Bucktown, as in that's where you were gonna hole up while you check out the area. If that's where you're looking to live, it's gonna be a hard slog from that area to Northbrook.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:04 PM

161 posts, read 665,375 times
Default Bucktown/Wicker Park/UK Village, too OLD?

I'm a recent college grad and me and my buddy (both guys) are moving to Chicago in June and were looking to spent about $800 per person/per month on a 2 bedroom apartment. I've been doing a lot of research on different areas of the city and I really like the Bucktown/Wicker Park/UK Village corridor. I think that area matches our personalities (Indie guys that like sports and are comfortable in most situations) well. Our only concern is that the area might be a bit old. The reason, most of the people we know that are moving to Chicago, are moving to Lincoln Park/Lakeview is because of the average age in those areas. However, we wanted to move somewhere less college like (no frat boys) and with more of a diverse mindset, but we also want to be somewhere near a lot of early to mid 20somethings bars and restaurants. We're a bit afraid that the Bucktown/Wicker Park/UK Village corridor may lack that. So my question(s) are: Is this corridor good for 22 year olds looking for fun and bars, without the whole frat boy image? If so, is there a more particular area of this corridor that has a early20s vibe (so is Bucktown more hospitable to 30 year olds while the UK Village is best for 22 year olds)? Thanks for all your help.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:12 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,793,356 times
I lived there when I was in my early 20's. I wouldn't worry about. There will be people your age and older, pretty much everywhere. That area has changed so much in the past few years you can't really generalize about the age range too much.

When I was there I felt like I didn't try hard enough to mis-match my clothes...but that seems to be fading away. I didn't feel neccessarily young, I would say I felt that way in all the neighborhoods because I was still in college while most people were out and gainfully employed already.

your going to feel young anywhere, I think the age difference between the neighborhoods your talking about its just not a big deal unless you want to really feel like your just like everyone else there.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:58 PM

3,396 posts, read 6,660,283 times
I think your assessment is pretty accurate. I lived in Ukrainian Village for 10 years and moved to Logan Square about 3 years ago. I still hang out in those areas a lot.

There's a difference between who lives in each of the areas and what the nightlife is like. I think Ukrainian Village (as well as East Village/West Town) has a younger feel in terms of residents. Bucktown has more yuppie families and older single professionals. Ukrainian Village has more people in their 20's mixed in with Hispanic families and old Polish guys.

In terms of nightlife the age depends on the places you go to. There is a real mix of places for people in their early 20's to mid 30's in the central area around Wicker Park, and places with more people in their 20's in Ukrainian Village. Ukrainian Village/West Town/East Village would be your best bet, but overall you can't go wrong in any of these areas, they all offer a frat free alternative to Lakeview/Wrigleyville (or at least frat-lite).

Old 06-14-2007, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 13,569 times
Default bucktown, wicker park

Hello everyone,

I have enjoyed reading these boards so much. I will be relocating to Chicago in August. I am intersted in Bucktown and Wicker Park and am looking to buy a condo. These areas seem really cool but I have never been to Chicago before. Does anyone have any advice for me? I am single and in my 30's, I am looking for a nice community with restuarants, shops, coffee shops within walking distance.

Thank you so much in advance.

Holly

Old 06-14-2007, 09:05 PM

683 posts, read 4,452,611 times
I don't live in Chicago yet (one month left!) but from all the advice people have given me and from the times I've visited, these are my favorite parts of town for all the things you're looking for. Very hipster and artsy with a young crowd.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 13,569 times
thank you Mel! What a quick responce!
That is what it sounds like to me, hopefully in the next month i will be visiting .
Is that the area you will be moving too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: