Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:49 AM

50 posts, read 151,839 times

Advertisements

I am a big fan of the Chicago area...I make trips up there 3/4 times a year from Tampa,FL and usually stay for 4 days at a time..I have never felt as if I was not safe but when I read things such as the Tribune or Suntimes it always seems like there are shootings, violent crimes happening, cops getting in shootings..Are things really that bad there??...When I look at sites like Wikipedia it says the murder rate is decreasing at a steady pace..When I talk to people that visit Chicago they always seem to think its a great place just like I do...I am a cop down here so I know the media can be misleading both for and against issues, especially when it comes to crime and the police! Do things just get out of control on the southside?? I would just like some input on how everyone feels ans get some facts...I am still very young (early 20's) and could see my self in Chicago some day...Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
BigWyche --

Crime in Chicago is very localized. There are many places in Chicago (both on the South and West, and even to some extent the North sides) that are as bad as their reputation, but there are also large swaths of the city that are very livable.

In a city as large as Chicago I think it;s to be expected that there will be both low and high crime areas, and while there truly are places you should never go if you can avoid it, it's also entirely possible to do so.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Chicago is a very segregated city, so that said, along with the segregation comes the segregation of crime. One side of a street can be a complete hell hole of a neighborhood, while the other is like "Pleasantville" Good example of what always struck me as very weird was/is how close Cabrini Green is to the noutorious rich areas known as the Gold Coast and the night clubs along Division St. Litterally you can come out of one of the nightclubs, which are fairly classy, and look off to the west and see the few Cabrini towers that still remain right down the street.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:52 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
BigWyche --

Crime in Chicago is very localized. There are many places in Chicago (both on the South and West, and even to some extent the North sides) that are as bad as their reputation, but there are also large swaths of the city that are very livable.

In a city as large as Chicago I think it;s to be expected that there will be both low and high crime areas, and while there truly are places you should never go if you can avoid it, it's also entirely possible to do so.
well said

Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
There is too much crime in Chicago. Some cities are worse off in terms of crime rates(Atlanta, Houston, Philly, Detroit) and some are better off (New York, L.A., Boston, Seattle). I've generally felt safe in the neighborhoods I've lived in over the years. When you've got a metro area of 10 million people, you're going to get some crazy incidents in the news every now and then.

However, if you plan to be a police officer here, I'm not sure you'll ever be that safe!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Here are a couple links that might help.....

Crime Stats:
60647 | EveryBlock Chicago

CPD Blog:
Chicago Police Department Weblog (http://cpdweblog.typepad.com/ - broken link)

Old 08-26-2008, 01:08 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Also, secondcitycop.blogspot.com for a bit of a different take on Chicago crime.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
It all depends on what areas you are visiting. I strongly assume you are not visiting the south side/south suburbs because that is where crime is out of control compared to the north side/north suburbs and west side/west suburbs although the west side of chicago obviously has a serious problem with crime.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:51 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
As someone who just moved back from Tampa, I can tell you that I don't feel that crime is more prevalent here than it was in Tampa. Now, obviously, if you look at stats it probably will be; however, as the other posters suggested, crime is pocketed here in Chicago just like it is in Tampa. Does it ever overflow? Of course, but that is the general idea.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:57 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
According to the city-data.com crime index, in 2006 (the most recent year available) Chicago had an index of 604.2 while Tampa was slightly higher at 610.1. This is adjusted by population, and the national average is 323.2. So, per capita crime rates in Chicago and Tampa are actually quite comparable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago