U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 6,396 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to move to Chicago fairly soon and after reading the Moving to Chicago FAQ I still had a few questions.

Let me explain my situation first, I am going to be moving to Chicago to attend the Midwest College of Oriental Medicine. I’m from Upstate NY and moved to Missouri a year ago. The Missouri State Dept of Vocational Rehabilitation is going to help me pay for school as well as for a portion of rent and a slight living allowance (in addition to any part time time/work study I get).

The quarter that I am pushing to get into (and yes I know its close) starts at the end of September and I know that’s not a lot of time to find and move into a place. I’ve been looking at place in Lakeview and Lincoln Park and Irving Park---since I’ll be in school and hoping/planning to devote most of my time to study I’m not going to have much beyond the rent allowance that I will be receiving (between 500-800 dollars still trying to iron that out with the Dept).

The Dept is willing to do one of two things 1) have the Manger/Owner set up as a vendor in their system and they’d get paid directly from the State though it wouldn’t be on the first but would be with in the first couple of weeks of each month. 2) Send me a check and I would pay the Manger/Owner directly.

I’ve been considering getting a room at either the Lakeview or Irving Park YMCA for a year and using that as a jumping off point for finding a better place, there is also housing at the Leaning Tower YMCA but I can’t seem to figure out what neighborhood that is in.

Does this seem like a reasonable idea or am I just blowing smoke up my own you know what

And does anyone else have any suggestions along how to bring number 1 with the Manger/Owners

Any other suggestions are more then welcome

{{Edit}}
That was odd ended up with some HTML in the first posting {{/EDit}}
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 12:57 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,663,568 times
The leaning tower YMCA is in Niles, just outside the city limits.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:13 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,732,174 times
As I was walking to the Jewel (grocery store) in my neighborhood, I just happened to notice this college recently. It's near Hazel and Montrose in Buena Park in the Pensacola Place Building (same building with the Jewel, health club, and housing above). I live just a few blocks away.

If money is a concern, you could live cheaper than Lakeview or Lincoln Park. If I were you I'd look to rent a place in Buena Park near the Lake, and would just walk to school. You have to be careful to stay south of Montrose, because the neighborhood gets worse north of Montrose (just a block or two north of your school). You could also take the Red Line from any neighborhood along the lake, but will have to use the Wilson stop, which is one of the most crime-infested Red Line stops on the North Side. I'd live along the 146 bus (anywhere along the lake from Montrose to Belmont) because that runs pretty often day and night and has a pretty safe route. You could also live along the 36 Broadway bus, but once again I'd recommend living south of your school.

I'm not sure why Irving Park is on your list. The commute from there would be brutal. The distance may not look bad on a map, but it's really quite far.

You still have time to get an apartment. Chicago apartments tend to go at the last minute for some reason, and there are MANY available on October 1st. You could easily get a nice studio withing walking distance in Buena Park for between $500 and $800, and could get a 1-BR for just a little more.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:21 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,838,143 times
Hi,
I agree with everything Lookout kid said and don't have a lot lot add other than I know a guy who got his degree with help from VocRehab and it's a really extraordinary program, and I'm so glad you've got an opportunity to make use of it.

I think that most landlords are going to want/need payment at the beginning of each month, often because they have their own mortgage that must get paid. But perhaps you can work it out so that you pay them your first month's rent up front and then Voc Rehab can send you what you would use as the next month's check sometime in that 1st or 2nd week of the first month. Did that make sense?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:27 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,838,143 times
Here's a place right up the street from your school: Wonderful Studio, Heat and Water Included! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/810868098.html - broken link)

And a couple more:
Studio 1Bathroom Modern Condition (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/808261480.html - broken link)
Search Apartment Rentals - Apartment Search Chicago Il, Chicago Apartment Search, Chicago Apartment Finders, Apartment Rental Chicago Il, Apartment Finder Chicago Il, Apartments In Downtown Chicago, Downtown Chicago Apartment, Rental Apartments Downt
4031 N Kenmore Studio-(Apartment for Rent)-powered by vFlyer

Old 08-25-2008, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,396 times
Thanks so much everyone for your quick help!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:28 PM

258 posts, read 711,600 times
The X80 makes Irving Park/Pulaski only 20 minutes away from Irving Park/Broadway, so it's not that inconvenient. But you should be able to find a place in Edgewater or Uptown without too much trouble.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,925,659 times
OP. You mentioned "Irving Park" along with two other neighborhood names. Just wanted to clarify that you did mean the Irving Park neighborhood (you probably did).

Thought it important to differentiate this from the stretch of Irving Park Road which is very close to your school (but not in the Irving Park neighborhood). Just wanted you to know "everything about Irving Park" since you are a newcomer

Old 08-25-2008, 10:44 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,355,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatinthecat View Post
Thanks so much everyone for your quick help!
You can try to look in the community of North Center as well.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,732,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The X80 makes Irving Park/Pulaski only 20 minutes away from Irving Park/Broadway, so it's not that inconvenient. But you should be able to find a place in Edgewater or Uptown without too much trouble.
I've taken the X80 several times to get to and from the Blue Line, and that's a pretty optimistic number. It takes me more than 20 minutes to drive it with only moderate traffic! And he'd have to get to Irving Park Road from his house, and then walk another four blocks up to Montrose after he got off the bus at Clarendon.

I say cross Irving Park off your list. It's just too far away. And if you plan to drive, it's almost impossible to park in the area of your school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago