Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:15 PM

313 posts, read 675,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
hey i only got 10 bucks honest.
Whatever man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,701,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
I think it comes down to being very careful how we speak to homeless people, esp., as some have said here, if we understand that many are desperate and mentally ill.
Which is why you just shouldn't talk to them at all. If panhandling ceased to be lucrative, it would disappear overnight. I could care less if it's "bad for their self esteem" or "makes them feel invisible". What a bunch of B.S.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:17 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,513,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Which is why you just shouldn't talk to them at all. If panhandling ceased to be lucrative, it would disappear overnight. I could care less if it's "bad for their self esteem" or "makes them feel invisible". What a bunch of B.S.
I just walked by a person sitting on the sidewalk trying to sell their Link Card.
Of course, I was not too far away from the Gill Park co-op and the Hotel Chateau.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 11,274 times
I would never tell any homeless person to get a job. I have been down that road myself and I know there are many reasons that a person becomes homeless. Most of the ones that pan handle have been there a long time and they have lost all hope and just do not care anymore. I give to them . I don't care if they blow that money , I do not judge people .The only thing that keeps many from being in the same situation is that one little paycheck.
Most are mentally ill so how you approach a person with a mental illness is very important.
I have never had any one run after me , threaten me or bug the crap out of me.
I let them know if I'm broke and if I had any money that I would give it. Most understand.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:21 PM

71 posts, read 194,634 times
Lets look at it this way
a woman got taught a lesson and two dangerous people will probably go to prison for while

Old 09-02-2008, 01:18 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,813,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtachicago View Post
Why post four articles that basically say the same thing? Just wonderin'...
as a credible source

Old 09-02-2008, 01:38 PM

19 posts, read 18,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbulington View Post
I would never tell any homeless person to get a job. I have been down that road myself and I know there are many reasons that a person becomes homeless. Most of the ones that pan handle have been there a long time and they have lost all hope and just do not care anymore. I give to them . I don't care if they blow that money , I do not judge people .The only thing that keeps many from being in the same situation is that one little paycheck.
Most are mentally ill so how you approach a person with a mental illness is very important.
I have never had any one run after me , threaten me or bug the crap out of me.
I let them know if I'm broke and if I had any money that I would give it. Most understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLEI View Post
Lets look at it this way
a woman got taught a lesson and two dangerous people will probably go to prison for while
Even if it is true, and it has not been proven yet, NOTHING justifies a savage attack over a comment. In the USA there is freedom of speech, just as when Jesse Jackson threatens to "cut Obama's nuts out" which was a far worse comment than "get a job". That woman did not deserve 14 kicked out teeth, for a non-threatening comment. Why would any sane Chicagoan put up with these animals?

Andy Rooney (60 Minutes) once went onto the street in NY and he asked homeless people "who's fault is it that you are here?" Almost every single one of them said "basically mine", not "society" etc.

These particular violent criminal savages need to be incarcerated for a long time. We cannot allow our society to tolerate this kind of violence and conduct. Apathy and tolerance are signs of a dying society, said Aristotle.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:31 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,227,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarshfield View Post
Even if it is true, and it has not been proven yet, NOTHING justifies a savage attack over a comment. In the USA there is freedom of speech, just as when Jesse Jackson threatens to "cut Obama's nuts out" which was a far worse comment than "get a job". That woman did not deserve 14 kicked out teeth, for a non-threatening comment. Why would any sane Chicagoan put up with these animals?

Andy Rooney (60 Minutes) once went onto the street in NY and he asked homeless people "who's fault is it that you are here?" Almost every single one of them said "basically mine", not "society" etc.

These particular violent criminal savages need to be incarcerated for a long time. We cannot allow our society to tolerate this kind of violence and conduct. Apathy and tolerance are signs of a dying society, said Aristotle.
As a society, we should not tolerate crime, which means, again, that we aren't just talking about people who are homeless. In addition, you need to fix the broader social problems that are making people homeless, breading violence, etc and not only focus on incarceration after the fact.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:03 PM

71 posts, read 194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarshfield View Post

the point i was making when i said "a woman got taught a lesson" is that we ALL have to be careful about HOW... and What we say to homeless people because some of them are callous and ruthless people (basically wild animals)who will kick out 14 teeth or much worse!!!
i agree that woman didn't deserve to have 14 teeth for that non-threatening comment but like i said some homeless are callous and ruthless wild animals who need and will be incarcerated for years and i for one am relieved to have Derrick and Joyce removed from society.
" A woman got taught a lesson" was a bad choice of words.
A better choice of words would have been "we civil people got taught a lesson" on being carefully HOW we talk to the homeless.
i agree that we cannot allow are great city to tolerate or justify that kind of violence
i believe this is awake up call for the civil people of Chicago which i believe is most of us

Old 09-03-2008, 11:36 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,293,596 times
Insulting a homeless person or being a smart ass is like going up to an electrified fence and saying, "dude, I so am gonna touch this thing, but it probably won't fry my skull."

I would wager most of these fools have some kind of weapon on them, either to go nuts on someone or to protect themselves from their own ilk. I wouldn't risk saying "get a job, you bum."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago