U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:41 AM

35 posts, read 106,284 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if I could have a little information on where we'd best fit in the Chicago area. Here is a little information about myself:

I am a 20 year old female and my boyfriend of four years is 19. We are looking to make the move from Albany NY (myself, originally from Buffalo, NY) to a major city on the East Coast for his career. He just graduated college for TV Production and is currently working at our local news station as an intern.

He is done with the internship in October and instead of taking our planned trip to Amsterdam, we are passing it up for now to move to a major city. I have been looking into Philly, Chicago, Boston, Miami and of course - NYC.

We are young and fun. We love to be outdoors. We are friendly, not big on partying, actually we only drink a couple beers once every few months at most, but we do like a nightlife scene just incase, and of course we'd like a nice neighborhood with people our age.

We, more than anything, want something relatively safe, a one-bedroom with a max. of $900.00/month before utilities, ABSOLUTELY somewhere that we wont need a car to get around (we want to sell them before we leave Albany), and definitely somewhere close to Public Transportation. Is there somewhere that you can specifically think of where we should look for an apartment? Please let me know! Thank you so, so much for your time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 PM

53 posts, read 122,095 times
I am trying to find out the same exact information pretty much. My boyfriend and I are both 21 and possibly moving there.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:57 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,906,312 times
Then check out the first post in this forum first.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 15,925 times
sounds like you want wicker park, bucktown, or logan square. these are the neighborhoods you'll find the young, hip crowds. decent nightlife, and blue line trains in each neighborhood.

800 is about the bottom edge of pricing for larger apartments in this area, and rent continues upward every year.

for a little more, try boystown (belmont n' clark area). for a little less, try east ukranian village, which is really beginning to thrive...

Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 PM

838 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Default A major city on the east coast

Chicago is not a major east coast city!!! And you are probably bottom fishing with a 900 budget in chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie&Jerry View Post

I am a 20 year old female and my boyfriend of four years is 19. We are looking to make the move from Albany NY (myself, originally from Buffalo, NY) to a major city on the East Coast for his career. He just graduated college for TV Production and is currently working at our local news station as an intern.

We, more than anything, want something relatively safe, a one-bedroom with a max. of $900.00/month before utilities, ABSOLUTELY somewhere that we wont need a car to get around (we want to sell them before we leave Albany), and definitely somewhere close to Public Transportation. Is there somewhere that you can specifically think of where we should look for an apartment? Please let me know! Thank you so, so much for your time!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 PM

15,585 posts, read 26,120,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
...And you are probably bottom fishing with a 900 budget in chicago
Huh?

$900 without utilities is bottom fishing? I know people that have great places for less than $900 that even have some or all of the utilities included.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:31 AM

12,063 posts, read 30,401,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
And you are probably bottom fishing with a 900 budget in chicago
Why do you always do this? Even after you've been shown to be wrong time and time again, even after countless people on this thread have told you that they have great apartments in great neighborhoods without spending $1500+ a month do you still insist on claiming what you know to be false. Good grief!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:41 AM

170 posts, read 515,320 times
I'll soon be moving into a 1 bedroom in Edgewater for $875, heat and water included, walking distance to the El and grocery. Great location, much bigger apartment than I thought I'd find with a limit of even $1000. Obviously you tend to get what you pay for, and scoring a $700 2 bedroom will likely put you in an awful area, but I don't feel like I had to scrounge at the bottom to find my place. It has everything I was looking for, and then some.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:50 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,312,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamlogicc View Post
sounds like you want wicker park, bucktown, or logan square. these are the neighborhoods you'll find the young, hip crowds. decent nightlife, and blue line trains in each neighborhood.

800 is about the bottom edge of pricing for larger apartments in this area, and rent continues upward every year.

for a little more, try boystown (belmont n' clark area). for a little less, try east ukranian village, which is really beginning to thrive...
BOYSTOWN LMFAO! Since when did it get a name in the Chicago neighborhoods index? LOL! Boistown as you're refering to (Lakeview) is SUPER upbeat. Obviously. The bois don't tend to get their nights started until about 11pm, so you can expect a constant roar until about 3 am from about Belmont and Halsted all the way to Gayhop (whoops I mean IHOP) up on Broadway and Halsted. There are areas off to the west of there more west of Clark that are still up beat, nice public transit, yet still have the hub bub of areas like "Greenwich Village or Soho" in Manhattan and are in your price range.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:24 PM

569 posts, read 1,748,403 times
$800-900 before utilities is doable for a 1 bedroom in Wicker Park/bucktown but I think she is a better fit in Lakeview. Lakeview isn't as hip as WP but makes that up with an unpretentious relaxed atmosphere where she will have easier access to the lake for sports, biking, running, bbq'ing, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago