Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 46,437 times

Advertisements

My dad grew up in Pullman, and later Harvey, from the 50s to the mid 70s, around the time that industries were leaving and that area was experiencing severe white flight. His last memories of the area are of his parents and friends' parents losing their jobs. Whenever I've asked him about visiting the south side, his response is usually along the lines of "that area is just bad news... stay out".

I'm a college-educated suburbanite in my mid twenties, and now I'm trying to get a better sense of the city. I've visited a couple of the north side and near west side neighborhoods like Lincoln Square, West Town, and Logan Square. But I have almost no experience in the south side. I've been to a few Sox games, and the Museum of Science and Industry, and I have a few older relatives that are right by Halsted and 294. But other than that, I have absolutely ZERO exposure to the massive area between Roosevelt and the Tri-State.

I undersand that, yes, there are some downright awful areas. But I hate to just make a blanket statement that the whole south side is bad. That makes me one more person with an attitude that perpetuates segregation.

I want to change that. But how? What are some areas for a first-timer to visit?

I've been trying to put some kind of list together based on my copy of Not For Tourists:
East Pilsen / Chinatown
Bronzeville
Kenwood
Hyde Park
Jackson Park

Going off maps 12 through 14 (see here), I'm not sure about Bridgeport, or Prairie Shores / Lake Meadows... that area looks kind of run-down and desolate.

Any other places I should check out?

As far as safety goes, are there any places that I should just flat-out avoid? And is it a bad idea to take the Green Line to Hyde Park?
Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:54 AM

28 posts, read 126,842 times
Does locking your door mean you are a hateful or a racist person?

Wanting there to be good , when there isnt is what Hollywood is for.

The reality is that good people are all over the place BUT there is a certain attitude that says that it is somehow wrong to keep bad people locked up so that the good people can thrive to their full potential.

Until that occurs keep your doors locked and dont go into areas that "dont want you"

Old 09-01-2008, 03:45 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
I think you would be fine driving around most of the South Side during the day with your doors locked. The only area on your list where you'd have to exercise some major caution would be Jackson Park, which has a really high crime rate. If you're talking about the park itself and not the neighborhood, just go during the day and stay aware.

Don't take the Green Line to Hyde Park, however. It doesn't quite stop in Hyde Park, and the area around the 63rd Street stop is pretty bad. Take an Express Bus or the Metra. Or just drive.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:59 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
Smile Try a Chicago Architecture Foundation tour!!

Hello -- I, too, have family who lived in the area. I have many fond memories of trips to visit my grandparents, aunts, and uncle. They lived in Riverdale and Harvey. As a child I would play at the community parks in Riverdale and Harvey. The parks are still there, churches are still there, tree-lined streets are still there. People live their lives, taking care of their lawns, shoveling their sidewalks, attending PTA meetings, walking back and forth to the train station. People are people and are more alike than different. As for seeing the area, there are some wonderful sites to see. A couple of suggestions: check out the Chicago Architecture Foundations bus tours: CAF Tours (http://www.architecture.org/tours.aspx - broken link). I know they have one of the south side Bungalow Belt as well as the north side. There are many tours available and the guides are very knowledgeble; the tours run about $35.00 and I believe they leave from the loop. Another interesting [and free] thing to do is to go to the Cook County Assessor website and look at the images. They have pictures of almost every home in Cook County!! If you know the address where family members lived, you can look at the pictures. You will probably be fine driving around; I would definitely take a couple of companions - the more the merrier!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Another interesting [and free] thing to do is to go to the Cook County Assessor website and look at the images. They have pictures of almost every home in Cook County!! If you know the address where family members lived, you can look at the pictures.
You need to check out the "Street View" function on Google Maps! It's much more user-friendly than the assessor's website, and you can go up and down the street, turn, zoom, etc.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:32 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Why can't you befriend a south sider who will give you a tour? That seems reasonable and direct to me. It would provide you with some inside info, too.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Don't take the Green Line to Hyde Park, however. It doesn't quite stop in Hyde Park, and the area around the 63rd Street stop is pretty bad. Take an Express Bus or the Metra. Or just drive.
Actually the Green Line stop for Hyde Park is Garfield but you are correct, the 63rd st is not for newbies. But yes, I've used that stop. Lots of folks transfer at the Garfield stop for Hyde Park.

I befriended a retired couple two years ago who were taking the Green Line from Hyde Park after touring the university. Their guidebook was very literal as to ransit options. The worse part is that the Garfield stop on the Green Line is about two stories above street level so the woman was out of breath when she got to the top. I held the train door open to wait for her.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Actually the Green Line stop for Hyde Park is Garfield but you are correct, the 63rd st is not for newbies. But yes, I've used that stop. Lots of folks transfer at the Garfield stop for Hyde Park.

I befriended a retired couple two years ago who were taking the Green Line from Hyde Park after touring the university. Their guidebook was very literal as to ransit options. The worse part is that the Garfield stop on the Green Line is about two stories above street level so the woman was out of breath when she got to the top. I held the train door open to wait for her.
Garfield isn't for newbies either! But it does seem to be the largest east-west route to the Dan Ryan for Hyde Parkers. I had 63rd street in mind because it was closer to a friend's place a few years back, and I did walk it when I was new to the city. Won't do it again.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:07 AM

85 posts, read 398,716 times
I lived in the Pilsen area a few years ago - I wouldn't consider it a bad area. There are nights that I feel more paranoid walking in my Andersonville neighborhood than in Pilsen.

As far as my view of the South Side, I wouldn't say the entire area is 'bad.' That's much too general, as each neighborhood is unique. Areas I would consider blighted are along the Halsted corridor, from 50th - 105th. Honsetly, I would rather drive to those areas than go by foot. The far south east side areas are very blue collar, working class and industrial. When you get into the western areas of the south side, it's not near as bad as the east. There's the bungalow belt that I believe extends into the South Side - around Midway area I think. Seemed like a nice area when I drove through.

Last edited by Pebbs78; 09-02-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 09-02-2008, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 10,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude1959 View Post
Does locking your door mean you are a hateful or a racist person?

Wanting there to be good , when there isnt is what Hollywood is for.

The reality is that good people are all over the place BUT there is a certain attitude that says that it is somehow wrong to keep bad people locked up so that the good people can thrive to their full potential.

Until that occurs keep your doors locked and dont go into areas that "dont want you"

Who doesn't lock their doors? It's just stupid to leave them open. These statements are the reason you are scared of the southside. I grew up on the southside of chicago and have never had one bad thing happen to me. The area of the southside you should be concerned with are areas closer to the red line and about 50th on down until you get to McCormick Place.
Honestly I grew up closer to the lakefront and I totally enjoyed it. Your list is a good start and it would be best to get someone from the south side to show you around. I have two sisters and a lot of friends living on the north side and some of those areas I will not leave their home after a certain hour. I have really been scared out of my mind because the difference between the north and southside is the night life. On the southside at 3 am the street is empty. There aren't people hanging out. On the northside there are some areas with crazy people and bums sleeping on the sidewalk and harassing you when you go to your car or get on the bus. It's really scary.
Really though the southside is very residential so unless you are visiting friends there isn't that much to do outside of the areas you named. If you want to see some really nice houses and historical neighborhood there is a nook on about 72and stony island on down toward the lake and lakeshore drive. Can't remember the name though.

Last edited by kawaii1; 09-02-2008 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago