Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 AM

41 posts, read 254,494 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am relocating to Chicago on Saturday and will be subletting an apartment (close to De Paul University) for three months. The place does not have Internet access, which I desperately need.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get wireless access for three months without having to install a land line? I'll also be needing a local cell phone. Does anyone know if there are any good plans that offer both? Pros and cons appreciated.

PS: Any other watch outs I should know before moving to the Windy City?

Thanks in advance. People on this site are always so very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
I just got a deal from comcast for internet and its 35 bucks a month for cable and it only cost me 50 bucks to have a jack installed. I move in 5 months so that was the best deal I could find. I dont know if there is much out there that include cell and internet. Your not around a cafe or something that you could just snag their singal are you?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
First thing I would do is see if there are any unsecured wifi networks you can pick up and sponge off of. Short of that, ask a neighbor with wifi if you can hook up to them for a few months. Offer to pay them a reasonable amount, perhaps $30 or $40 a month.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:48 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info. Don't know the area well enough to know if I'll be close to a cafe or something. Hopefully I can tap into someone's wifi.

If not, and this might sound ignorant, how can a "neighbor" hook me up? Do they have to do some programming?

Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I just got a deal from comcast for internet and its 35 bucks a month for cable and it only cost me 50 bucks to have a jack installed. I move in 5 months so that was the best deal I could find. I dont know if there is much out there that include cell and internet. Your not around a cafe or something that you could just snag their singal are you?
be VERY careful w/ Comcast, a lot of their advertised prices are "introductory" prices and if you cancel before the time period is over, they charge you a lot more than what they've advertised

I suggest just finding a Panera to hang out in, or heading to the library if you can't pick up an unsecured network

Old 09-04-2008, 07:43 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Go to the library; it is free.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,394 times
I pay $29 a month for AT&T wireless DSL without a phone line or cable, which isn't introductory (they can do it without the phone line, but they still have to come and switch something on your phone jack). Yeah, any Chicago Public Library and a ton of coffee shops/restaurants offer it free as well.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missbonfig View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info. Don't know the area well enough to know if I'll be close to a cafe or something. Hopefully I can tap into someone's wifi.

If not, and this might sound ignorant, how can a "neighbor" hook me up? Do they have to do some programming?
No, all they have to do is give you their wi-fi password. I meant hook you up figuratively, not literally.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:17 PM

Thanks for all the info and yes, the AT&T offer sounds the best (as long as there is an existing phone jack in the apartment). Have to check, but the offer sounds great in theory. No contract, reasonable prices. Just don't know how the reception is.
But I got lucky; there are 3 Starbucks close by, the library is not far either so thanks for the tip. But best of all, my sub-let landlords lent me their AT&T wi-fi card for free!!!!
Thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago