Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:47 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post
Ahh. Its a nice 58 degrees at the moment with sunny weather and it will only dip down to 45 tonite. Loving it.
Call us in the spring, summer and fall when youre stinky and dripping with sweat, shackled inside your A/C palace, while we have the windows open and the kids actually get to, you know, play OUTSIDE here.

Have a nice life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Here in Atlanta is was sunny and 72 today. Wonder what it was in Chiacgo? Better I not ask...
Annnnnd ATL is a boring, sprawling, culturless sauna in summer. Keep it. You wouldnt know a world class city if it jumped up and bit you in the arse. Oh, did you enjoy your snow last week in your "paradise"? lol I swear, people down south think theyre living in Honolulu or something. Delusion at its finest!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:24 AM

485 posts, read 1,703,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Call us in the spring, summer and fall when youre stinky and dripping with sweat, shackled inside your A/C palace, while we have the windows open and the kids actually get to, you know, play OUTSIDE here.

Have a nice life!

And those of us in the south are outside enjoying the weather right now while all of you are shackled inside your heat palace...and your point is???

Old 12-21-2008, 07:52 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Steve-o, you don't need to be harsh. I think that they were just poking a bit of harmless fun at you (well, Chicago) because it is so cold there and not-so-cold in Atlanta or Florida (or Charlotte, for that matter!)

Seriously. that is an argument that is getting kind of old, isn't it? Can't you accept the fact that there are just different people out there that appreciate different things? That's why there IS a Chicago...or North Pole for that matter...and, the opposite end of the spectrum...tropical places that think that cold is anything below 60!

One of my big arguments AGAINST Charlotte is that (the native) people here are intolerant of those that are different from them. I usually tell people that I did not find that in Chicago...so, are you trying to refute my claim? So, no matter what, I am unacceptable no matter where I live? Don't think so!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
So what? You are a troll as well.
That is a lie. I am not a troll. In fact I do not live anywhere near a bridge.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:28 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Steve-o, you don't need to be harsh. I think that they were just poking a bit of harmless fun at you (well, Chicago) because it is so cold there and not-so-cold in Atlanta or Florida (or Charlotte, for that matter!)

Seriously. that is an argument that is getting kind of old, isn't it? Can't you accept the fact that there are just different people out there that appreciate different things? That's why there IS a Chicago...or North Pole for that matter...and, the opposite end of the spectrum...tropical places that think that cold is anything below 60!

One of my big arguments AGAINST Charlotte is that (the native) people here are intolerant of those that are different from them. I usually tell people that I did not find that in Chicago...so, are you trying to refute my claim? So, no matter what, I am unacceptable no matter where I live? Don't think so!
Hey- if Mark Carrier had been born about 100 years earlier there might not be a Chicago, New York, Minneapolis or Cleveland. More likely the largest cities in the USA would have been Los Angeles, Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta, Miami and Savannah. But I still love Chicago! It is a great city.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:58 AM

607 posts, read 1,334,053 times
Chicago is great and (back to the topic) COLD today! My thermometer reads 4 degrees in the sun.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
And those of us in the south are outside enjoying the weather right now while all of you are shackled inside your heat palace...and your point is???
Ill be shackled inside today, no doubt. Too cold for even me! BUT, Ill be outside this week taking my son sledding. Ultra-cold days like today dont come around very often, thank goodness. The rest of the winter is perfectly fine to be outside in, if youre dressed for it. Anyways, I doubt all of you in the south are outside enjoying the weather. My SIL in TN called us where its a balmy 25 degrees.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Hey- if Mark Carrier had been born about 100 years earlier there might not be a Chicago, New York, Minneapolis or Cleveland. More likely the largest cities in the USA would have been Los Angeles, Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta, Miami and Savannah...
That is a ludicrous statement. Your reasoning is what?

Aside from the myriad of ways I can blow apart your assumption, the basic fact remains:

There was no widespread residential electric nor power plants capable of creating large amounts of power to supply to large amounts of people in the early 1800's.(If Carrier was born a hundred years earlier)

Even in the early 1900's there was a huge amount of people in the U.S. that did not have access to electric power at home.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 12-21-2008 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-21-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

I sure can accept the fact that different people have different weather preferences, but when people pop on here do the childish "its such-and-such degrees here in so-and-so city today", thats lame. That when I have to come back and rip on their summer weather. No place is perfect, but the idiots who live down south or wherever, would convince you that it is. Sorry folks, that doenst work on people who watch, you know, weather reports. We'll see who's laughing come spring, summer and fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago