Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 12:36 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,841 times

Advertisements

So what's the deal with winter parking around here, and the supposed claim to a spot with a lawn chair or some other crappy furniture? I understand it's some sort of strange understanding between Chicagoans... Is this strange phenomenon frowned upon or accepted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
OOh yes, a question I myself had intended to ask!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:45 PM

439 posts, read 1,242,102 times
Haha...Oh how I miss the days of "if I shovel a spot it minds forever"

Old 09-08-2008, 12:51 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
So what's the deal with winter parking around here, and the supposed claim to a spot with a lawn chair or some other crappy furniture? I understand it's some sort of strange understanding between Chicagoans... Is this strange phenomenon frowned upon or accepted?
It's a sensitive subject.

I typically don't mind it if we have a real snowstorm, maybe 8 or more inches, where its actually work to shovel your car out of its spot. Then its okay to claim it with a chair for at least that day, while others have the chance to dig out their spots too.

Staking claim to a spot for longer than that, or with less significant snowfall, and you're being an *******.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
I agree. I love when it snows maybe an inch or snow and people just throw something in the spot that they "shoveled". especially since if they would of just left it alone by the end of the day the wind would of blown away whatever snow was there. That being said I would not recommend taking somebodys "saved" spot or your car might be a bit scratched when you get back to it

Old 09-08-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
It's a sensitive subject.

I typically don't mind it if we have a real snowstorm, maybe 8 or more inches, where its actually work to shovel your car out of its spot. Then its okay to claim it with a chair for at least that day, while others have the chance to dig out their spots too.

Staking claim to a spot for longer than that, or with less significant snowfall, and you're being an *******.
I see. So this applies to you breaking your back for an hour shoveling your car out of the spot it was in. Does this apply to non residential or just residential?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:07 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Residential. I generally haven't seen it on the north side, but when I worked at Mt. Sinai, it was a lot of fun to try to find a parking spot with all the chairs!!!! I wished there were signs like "returning at 5" on the chairs, so I could just park there during work hours :-)

Old 09-08-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Residential. I generally haven't seen it on the north side, but when I worked at Mt. Sinai, it was a lot of fun to try to find a parking spot with all the chairs!!!! I wished there were signs like "returning at 5" on the chairs, so I could just park there during work hours :-)
Yeah. It's more common in NW and South side neighborhoods.

This is purely for street parking.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:23 PM

I've been pretty worried about my parking situation. My side of Wicker Park is mostly non residential. I usually don't get home until 8 or 9pm usually, so I end up having to park almost 3-4 blocks away. It's a pain as it is, i can't even imagine what to expect when snow hits. I guess I'll have to soldier through the ordeal like everyone else!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
I've been pretty worried about my parking situation. My side of Wicker Park is mostly non residential. I usually don't get home until 8 or 9pm usually, so I end up having to park almost 3-4 blocks away. It's a pain as it is, i can't even imagine what to expect when snow hits. I guess I'll have to soldier through the ordeal like everyone else!
Parking can definately be a bigger PITA in the winter. I'm definately glad I don't have to deal with a car in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago