Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:08 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,629,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersen's Ice Cream View Post
Just so you all know, Petersen's Ice Cream is open and doing well!! There are two young engertic new onwers that have vowed to bring the 'NEW' to the old fashion establishment. We have closed the restaurant portion of our business but will re open a new concept soon but, the ice cream shop has not closed nor will it. This winter 2008/2009 we will remold it. The SECOND Petersen's Ice Cream location is soon to open in the western suburbs.

The same great ice cream and thank goodness some things in life don't change!!
Glad to hear it! I'll be sure to stop in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 09:16 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
I dont know if there are any Oberweis joints in the city itself, but there are a few in the burbs, and their ice cream is incredible, especially the chocolate peanut butter. Alright, no more food talk from me, my stomach is growling.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:36 PM

968 posts, read 2,650,161 times
Anybody know if Gertie's is still around ?? ( Marquette Park) .. I fondly remember doing the 'G' and "G' .. the original Giordanos for deep dish, with a trip to Gerties for a hot fudge sundae .. Darn, i guess that's why there are statins in the picture now ...

Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 PM

142 posts, read 429,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Peterson's in Oak Park just closed a year or two ago. Or at least the seating area closed. I think they just left the Ice Cream counter open for a while, and I'm not sure if it's still there. What a loss.

That place was awesome. They always gave you the little cup of phosphates.
Peterson's ice cream counter is still open, but the quality has gone downhill. Used to love that place when I first moved here! They had rum ice cream at the holidays

Old 04-17-2009, 03:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,418,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I dont know if there are any Oberweis joints in the city itself, but there are a few in the burbs, and their ice cream is incredible, especially the chocolate peanut butter. Alright, no more food talk from me, my stomach is growling.
Don't mean to re-pen this thread but I figured since summer is coming, at least it feels like it is today. There is an Oberweiss in Wicker Park just north of Polish Triangle on Milwaukee. There is even free parking for it in the K-Mart parking lot. I got some whole milk and a cup of Birthday Cake ice dream from there last night and it was epic.

Another great dessert joint is Bleeding Heart bakery on Belmont in Lakeview. They do mostly vegan cupcakes, chocolate and pastries but you wouldn't know it by the taste. Everything is perfect. They even have bacon cupcakes.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Bacon cupcakes? Please tell me that's something other than what it sounds like, because that sounds thoroughly gross. Where's the little barfy-dude emoticon when you need it?

Old 04-18-2009, 05:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,418,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Bacon cupcakes? Please tell me that's something other than what it sounds like, because that sounds thoroughly gross. Where's the little barfy-dude emoticon when you need it?
It is exactly what it sounds like and even though that particular one isn't up my alley I do like the salty-sweet juxtaposition of some of the other offerings like the mango/jalapeno.

Bleeding Heart Bakery - local, sustainable, punk rocky pastry!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,374,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Check out Plush Horse ice cream parolor in Palos Park sometime. The ice cream there is great and yes the place on the weekends tends to get rather packed so be prepared to wait.
The Plush Horse has been our family favorite for years (maybe 50?). Mitchell's in Homewood and Cupid Candies are other great choices in the suburbs.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:08 PM

147 posts, read 393,816 times
there is 1 on devon in edgebrook

Old 04-19-2009, 09:40 AM

146 posts, read 465,996 times
My vote is for Oberweis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: