Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

For all the dismissive comments about the Midwest being boring and "flyover country" and how easy it might be to see little beauty in it if you've been living here for 30 years, it still astonishes me how many people I hear from out west say it's absolutely beautiful around here because everything is green instead of brown. They even think the corn fields are lovely. In this case, the grass literally is greener...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 11:11 PM

88 posts, read 357,671 times
This thread made sense when I posted it but it seems to cause too much controversy. Let me rephrase the question:
Other than Chicago, what cities are seen as economic engines around the midwest?
Detroit seems to be falling further down the ranks, as does Cleveland.
Minneapolis holds itself pretty well, from what I see.
What about StL and Indy?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:31 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinegar312 View Post
This thread made sense when I posted it but it seems to cause too much controversy. Let me rephrase the question:
Other than Chicago, what cities are seen as economic engines around the midwest?
Detroit seems to be falling further down the ranks, as does Cleveland.
Minneapolis holds itself pretty well, from what I see.
What about StL and Indy?
St. Louis is still largely a dying city, in spite of some very positive changes in a small area. Indy's economy was less industrial to begin with, so it's transitioned to a service-based economy better than others. But it is probably the most boring major city in the midwest (and by "major city", I'm talking about large enough to support multiple professional sports teams). Chicago and the Twin Cities have been the most successful at adapting to the new economy. I really thought Milwaukee was rebounding for a while, but those efforts seem to be stagnating a bit lately. Most midwestern cities (including St. Louis and Cleveland) have seen substantial gentrification and revitalization, but are not nearly as healthy as they should be for long-term viability. I really like these cities, though, and hope they continue to turn it around.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:52 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Default I'm going to agree..

...with Drover; many Western states suffer from a serious lack of rainfall (or snow), and as a result, look as though they are parched. Green cornfields look lush by comparison.

Minneapolis has always been a great place to visit or live; it has largely avoided the effects of heavy industry, and remains very affordable. Warm-weather types might not enjoy it, but it remains a very pleasant place to live.
One of the nation's best kept secrets.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:07 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
The winters of minnesota are the worst of the entire nation...just saying...it doesn't get any colder than a Minnesota/North Dakota winter...beautiful and all. just saying...i know you said warm weather types might not enjoy it. but i think the majority of people wouldn't enjoy a minnesota winter!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
St. Louis is still largely a dying city, in spite of some very positive changes in a small area. Indy's economy was less industrial to begin with, so it's transitioned to a service-based economy better than others. But it is probably the most boring major city in the midwest (and by "major city", I'm talking about large enough to support multiple professional sports teams). Chicago and the Twin Cities have been the most successful at adapting to the new economy. I really thought Milwaukee was rebounding for a while, but those efforts seem to be stagnating a bit lately. Most midwestern cities (including St. Louis and Cleveland) have seen substantial gentrification and revitalization, but are not nearly as healthy as they should be for long-term viability. I really like these cities, though, and hope they continue to turn it around.
Agreed. If we can get the green economy rolling though I think you'll see substantive changes in many of these former industrial cities. St. Louis is well positioned for this as they already have Monsanto and the area has a few very interesting start-ups doing materials science, semi-conductor and so forth work.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
There is no denying that america would fall apart without the business and hard working people of the midwest. it's the "fun" factor that has the coastal elitists calling it flyover country.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:22 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
I think the term fly over is an attempt to insult the Midwest by coastal people. I have never really heard of it and I lived in NY & DC practically all my life. I think the Midwest has a bad rep because there are no really cosmopolitan cities other than Chicago.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:36 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Eh, I dont care for the term, but it doesn't bug me. Just another dumb generalization based on region. Like saying people from the West coast are fake, people in the east coast or uptight and rude, people in the south are dumb country bumpkins, etc...

Old 09-12-2008, 11:59 AM

403 posts, read 930,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I think the term fly over is an attempt to insult the Midwest by coastal people. I have never really heard of it and I lived in NY & DC practically all my life. I think the Midwest has a bad rep because there are no really cosmopolitan cities other than Chicago.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Minneapolis-St. Paul is pretty cosmopolitan. At least on the level of a Seattle or Portland, OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago