Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:30 AM

88 posts, read 357,647 times

Advertisements

Chicago - Having lived on the east and west coast's, I have generally understood the term fly-over-country to define everything between I-5 and Chicago and then Chicago and I-95.
Hopefully some of you are midwest and can tell me what is considered fly-over and what isn't around the places outside the MINP/MIL/CHI/IND/CLE cities. I think we could all agree that the Dakota's and Wyoming and Montana and Nebraska would all be fly-over, but what else is? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 01:04 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Most Midwesterners do not appreciate the term "fly over country". The Midwest is full of beautiful landscapes as well as big cities.

I'm afraid that some may take offense to this post, just to warn you.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:23 AM

88 posts, read 357,647 times
Thanks for the warning, but I am sure I am not the 1st transplant to ask this question. I don't find this to be offensive at all. I lived in Oregon once upon a time and I know CA and SEA saw most of that state as fly-over, although I didn't take offense to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Most Midwesterners do not appreciate the term "fly over country". The Midwest is full of beautiful landscapes as well as big cities.

I'm afraid that some may take offense to this post, just to warn you.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:25 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Just dropping in because I happened to see the title on the front page menu. StCB gives you fair and accurate warning. Truth be told, if you're asking this seriously, say, out of curiousity, you might get more of an idea by posting this question in forums for states on the east and west coasts. At those forums you are more likely to encounter people who use the term, or have heard it used with some frequency. If you've lived in Chicago for your whole life, or long enough that it feels like home, be warned that you might get pretty disgusted by the condescending nature of some responses you might get at coastal-states forums. As StCB points out, "flyover country" is a derogatory term that implies that this is a region you simply fly over because there's nothing there worth stopping to see. I live in the Northeast myself (though did at one point live in Ohio for a number of years), and I get pretty disgusted at times by the attitude that leads to this term.

That said, how ya doin' StCB? I see your posts a lot over at General U.S. You always seem to have some astute and level-headed observations to offer. Take care, and I'm sure I'll see you around General.

Last edited by ogre; 09-10-2008 at 01:53 AM..

Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Um, well, the other part of this is that I don't think the question has any precise answer. As you pointed out yourself by saying that some would consider Oregon to be "flyover" territory. The way the term is usually used, it generally means sort of like "out there in the middle of the country." What states exactly this applies to all depends on the perception of the individual. I don't think there is any precise answer. One more reason that perhaps this question does not need to be pursued in this forum. The question really has no exact answer, and you ask it at the risk of offending other users. Even if you aren't bothered by some Californians' or Seattleites' put-downs of OR, some people do take offense at having their home region disparaged by the use of terms like this, and understandably so.

Last edited by ogre; 09-10-2008 at 02:18 AM..

Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
"Flyover Country" is dismissive, and offensive to anyone who doesn't live in Los Angeles or Manhattan.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:24 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
We don't subscribe to the notion of "flyover country" in the great midwest and the great city of Chicago.

However, we do see LA-NY or SF-DC passages as definitely being "fringe-to-fringe flights"

Old 09-10-2008, 07:33 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
The coastal elitists consider everything in the Midwest to be flyover country including chicago. i would tend to agree with them. The East coast has the richest history in the nation. The western part of the nation has hollywood and excitement with vegas and what not. The South has warm weather and citizens who are tact, nostalgic, and polite. The midwest is generally seen as boring flat land with incredibly cold snowy weather filled with farmers and generally nothing to do there. And that is fairly true when you consider chicago is a business city first and foremost. Of course many will disagree with this assertion in the chicago forum and that is just fine.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:12 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
"Flyover Country" is dismissive, and offensive to anyone who doesn't live in Los Angeles or Manhattan.
Yep. It isn't a term you really hear outside of LA and Manhattan, and even there it isn't used all that much. I wouldn't use it in Chicago unless you want people to think you're a d**k.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,838 times
So, then you're a cultural elitist?

"Flyover country" is a rude, dismissive statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago