Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:05 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchidog View Post
Yes its a fact many neighborhoods on the southside(Chicago) is at least 50% hispanic and some are at least 30-50% white.

Here are some neighborhoods stats of the South/Southwestside from year 2000

Garfield Ridge- 68% White, 12.2%, 16.5% Hispanic, rest is other

Brighton park- 76.6% Hispanic, 0.49% Black, 18.5% White, 2.87% Asian

Back of the Yards- 50.2%, 35.3% Black, 13.1% White

Gage Park- 79.3% Hispanic, 12.3% White, 7% Black

Hyde park- 43.5% White, 37.7% Black, 11.3% Asian, 4.11% Hispanic

Armour Square- 60.7% Asian, 17% Black, 17.1& White, 3.72% Hispanic

Beverly- 64.7% White, 32% Black, 2.92% Hispanic

East Side- 57.7% Hispanic, 40.1% White, 1.02% Black, 10.1% White

Chicago Lawn- 52.3% Black, 35.5% Hispanic, 10.1% White.
I was referring to your claim that overall the south side is 1/3-1/3-1/3, not whether there aren't neighborhoods that are integrated or even predominantly white (e.g. Mt. Greenwood which you left off, Morgan park is still integrated in parts, etc.). I spend a lot of time exploring every corner of the south side and my impression overall is very different from an equal racial balance. Beverly for example only has 10,000 residents I believe, so the fact that it is 67% white doesn't add too much to the total balance.

I'd be equally surprised if the South Side were 93% black. I read that also on Wikipedia but it refers to the "deep south side", though they never define what that is in the writeup (they give a reference but I'm too lazy to read it).

Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,207,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post

I'd be equally surprised if the South Side were 93% black. I read that also on Wikipedia but it refers to the "deep south side", though they never define what that is in the writeup (they give a reference but I'm too lazy to read it).
South of 55th and north of 95th.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
South of 55th and north of 95th.
Thanks. It's still hard for me to believe. There are tons of Mexicans west of Western and south of 55th, all of the white pockets mentioned to this point, etc. One even sees Mexicans increasingly in areas like Calumet Heights, Pill Hill, really all up and down Stony Island between 60th and 103rd. I'd be extremely surprised if this didn't add up to more than 7%. They must be including a western boundary as well.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:18 AM

Ok, I didn't take into account the north of 95th part. That cuts out all of Mt. Greenwood, most of Beverly, Morgan Park. I suppose it's possible. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlogan0301 View Post
Just for debate and perhaps fun, but not to make anyone angry!

Do any of you think Chicago or any parts of Chicago will ever have a "Black Mecca" so to speak, like Atlanta does? And no, not just the southside of Chicago.

Because Chicago is often criticized for its racism, both in the city and the burbs, was just wondering what both black and white people thought about Chicago or certain parts of Illinois, excluding the southside (since that already has a good majority of black people) will ever have black people coming in droves there, making excellent money?!

Again, just for a fun and educational debate. Not meant to stir up any harsh feelings or anything.
Do you mean Black mecca as in opportunities for black people to become successful, living in upper class neighborhoods and whatnot? Sure the opportunities are definitely here. But of course, that requires education, skill, and realistic expectations. I don't like using the term "Black mecca" because it leads to unrealistic expectations. I've had goofy family members move to ATL with no education, no skills, no connections, and thinking they were magically going to end up with a wonderful career and live it up because its the Black mecca, right? They came back to Chicago highly disappointed. So sure, Black people can come to Chicago in droves and make excellent money but they better have the credentials behind them.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:10 AM

230 posts, read 689,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
All politics aside,Obama, like Mayor Daley, has become a Chicago institution. I'm not going into an extended partisan rant for Obama/anti-McCain, so I don't think merely mentioning his name is an exercise of political speech.

You're right about being overconfident about the future. I'll amend and extend my remarks to say that I believe he has a statistically very high probability of becoming the next president of the United States.
I like that highly statiscially, probability to become the next president. Very well said.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 AM

230 posts, read 689,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Do you mean Black mecca as in opportunities for black people to become successful, living in upper class neighborhoods and whatnot? Sure the opportunities are definitely here. But of course, that requires education, skill, and realistic expectations. I don't like using the term "Black mecca" because it leads to unrealistic expectations. I've had goofy family members move to ATL with no education, no skills, no connections, and thinking they were magically going to end up with a wonderful career and live it up because its the Black mecca, right? They came back to Chicago highly disappointed. So sure, Black people can come to Chicago in droves and make excellent money but they better have the credentials behind them.
I agree Parker, I should have clarified and stated with the educational background and experience of course. ATL has a lot of black educated professionals there, hence one of the many reasons, black people do so well there, making other black people want to swarm there.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:24 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,207,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Ok, I didn't take into account the north of 95th part. That cuts out all of Mt. Greenwood, most of Beverly, Morgan Park. I suppose it's possible. Thanks for clarifying.
Yeah - I think they defined the "Deep Southside" by just including areas that were overwhelmingly black in the last census. Quickly looking at census data for different Southside zip codes it looks like the Southside is roughly 40 to 60% black, but I don't really have the time to add up all the data.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:42 PM

7 posts, read 21,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I've had relatives do the same thing. I personally feel as time continues on race will become of increasingly less importance and socioeconomic status will become more important. which is why I totally agree with what an earlier poster said about it not really being able to happen. Good schools, safe streets, good housing stock, people of all shapes sizes and shades will want to live there.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
...You're right about being overconfident about the future. I'll amend and extend my remarks to say that I believe he has a statistically very high probability of becoming the next president of the United States.
According to what? Your bleeding heart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago