Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times

Advertisements

My lord, please merge this thread into this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...n-chicago.html

Old 11-28-2009, 09:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
most posts about racisim are not, they are posts about white people exclusively.
it would be refreshing to occasionally actually see a post about racism.
k12 inc chicago is a horrid example of the abuses of racism now that would be a true post on racism.of course CDF is already oozing with posts from the headlines on that subject no?

Old 11-28-2009, 11:50 PM

7 posts, read 7,042 times
Not sure if being "closet racist" is so bad. Chicago's suburbs absolutely has its share of closet racists. More than some people here are ready to admit.

these articles were gathered from another Chicago forum. Chicago is not immune and the reputation of Chicago is not good when it comes to race relations. But its a little overblown by the media

Chicago, Chicago that toddling (racist) town. – Melissa Bell

prettyugly.: Chicago: The Good & The Bad

Racist/Prejudiced Experiences surrounded by Chicago?

Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,294 times
Of course there's racism in Chicago. There will be racism in any city that has a substantial black population that lives alongside white people. In cities where black people exist 'in reality' rather than 'in theory', there will be a portion of the population who is objective about things, refuses to drink the idealists Kool-Aid and will be labeled thusly as a "racist"for simply seeing that the emperor is naked.

In cities where there is an insignificant amount of black people, they have the luxury of egalitarian notions and maintaining pie-eyed principles on racial matters, in stark contrast to how things work in the real world. It sure is easy to 'believe' something when you don't have to confront the nagging counter-reality on a daily basis...

The problem with discussing the race issue is that so much of what is stone-cold, inarguable fact has been tagged as being "racist", so there's an enormous and highly relevant portion of the dialogue that we 'aren't supposed to talk about' which ensures that progress will never, ever be made. Yes, there is racism in Chicago. There's a reason for that. In spite of what the Public Service Announcements suggest, you'll often find that between those who've been labeled "racists" and the 'equality' proponents, one is far, far less 'ignorant' than the other as far as their experience with other races and how their opinions were formed.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 AM

7 posts, read 7,042 times
Chicago doesn't seem that segregated to me. We moved here in Sept and have had plenty of time to take in many city neighborhoods. Seems fairly diverse to me. THere is a stretch of a couple miles on the west side where I see no whites and same on the south side when I've felt brave enough to rumble through there. Chicago doesnt feel segregated or racist on first impression then. But then again I might need more time to form a wiser opinion

Old 11-29-2009, 08:31 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I'm curious why we have so many Wisconin road warriors wprring about Chicago manner? I doesn't make sense.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 AM

955 posts, read 1,831,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I'm curious why we have so many Wisconin road warriors wprring about Chicago manner? I doesn't make sense.
Deer hunting season is coming to a close. They're going thru a sort of
junkie withdrawl and it's going to get uglier. Keep all your pets indoors
for the rest of the winter.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
50 years ago, most large cities were segregated. Years later, cities like LA, NYC, San Francisco, and many others became more diverse, integrated and a liberal society. Even though, Chicago is just as diverse as the other cities mentioned, but for some reason it can't get rid of the segregation label. Did Chicago inherited the wrong people, since it haven't quite kept up with NYC, LA, or San Francisco? In your opinion, why Chicago is still segregated and not moved on like its other big city counterparts? And do you think Chicago will ever remove the segregated label?

I think Chicago will get rid of the segregated label when they stop being so damn racist and segregated. I was SO shocked when I went to Chicago. When I first got there, I was like "Oh my goodness, this is so diverse; it's so great to be around all of these different cultures, black, white, puerto rican, mexican, asian, polish, etc." I QUICKLY found that all is not well in paradise. Chicago is very segregated. Also, the racist remarks I encountered there was RIDICULOUS! I would rather not mention them, of course. Anyway, I am from eastern KANSAS and have NEVER heard these things before. I would never want to live in Chicago because of this. I would like to see it change.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
IT's humorous to me that people keep ignoring the fact that New York is more segregated than Chicago by many measures. And when Chicago is shown to be more segregated, it is only by a small margin. It's not a night and day comparison. These cities are pretty much equally segregated.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 PM

320 posts, read 717,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlogan0301 View Post
Just for debate and perhaps fun, but not to make anyone angry!

Do any of you think Chicago or any parts of Chicago will ever have a "Black Mecca" so to speak, like Atlanta does? And no, not just the southside of Chicago.

Because Chicago is often criticized for its racism, both in the city and the burbs, was just wondering what both black and white people thought about Chicago or certain parts of Illinois, excluding the southside (since that already has a good majority of black people) will ever have black people coming in droves there, making excellent money?!

Again, just for a fun and educational debate. Not meant to stir up any harsh feelings or anything.
Okay. I know this post is old, but I still want to answer this puzzling question.

First of all, during the teens, 20's 30's, 40's and 50's, Chicago was a "Mecca" for Blacks. B/c of this, Chicago still has on of the largest Black middle-class population in the country.

Now with that said....There is segregation in Chicago and Atlanta. On the one hand, I do think that the economy and social atmosphere might be better in the ATL. Also, Blacks are probably more integrated politically, socially and economically in the ATL than DA Chi.

On the other hand, Chi Town is a much richer city. People don't realize the opportunity a city like Chicago has to offer. But, in order to really reap the benefits, you need to bring something to the table (job skills, a degree or a good business plan) and it really helps to know somebody (Mayor, Alderman, State Rep or Senator or a Mobster ).

Chicago offers more jobs in gov't (esp. in w/in the city and Cook county) as well as banking and finance, industrial, IT, High Tech, Education, Medicine, Healthcare, Sales, Non profit, Accounting, Law, Media, advertising, Marketing, telecommunications, Tourism, Transportation, Arts and Entertainment (cultural and recreational), hotel and hospitality... I think you get the point.

I knew garbage men who were married to teachers (both worked for the city) and their combined income over six figures not including overtime.
I don't know what they are making now since the city has some budget problems.

Anyway, I would encourage people to move to da ATL for the experience, but I feel that with the right combination of skills, experience and connections a person will make more money and experience more culture in Da CHI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago