Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:26 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,290,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie1006 View Post
being proactive will keep us safe, so yeah, if you look like trouble, we're watching you, whether you're white, black or green.
You got green people on that side of town? I have to come and see this.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,652,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
You got green people on that side of town? I have to come and see this.
Well there's some screwball on another thread looking for a "green" neighborhood or some such nonsense.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well there's some screwball on another thread looking for a "green" neighborhood or some such nonsense.
Yeah, Chicagoans are tough, no need to worry about no stinkin public health emergencies or climate disasters.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:43 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,652,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Yeah, Chicagoans are tough, no need to worry about no stinkin public health emergencies or climate disasters.

No need to make a self congratulatory "lifestyle" about such concerns, rather just go about them as a part of day to day life. I've likely done more to clean the enviornment than anyone on this forum but I don't consider myself a self consciously green person.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
No need to make a self congratulatory "lifestyle" about such concerns, rather just go about them as a part of day to day life. I've likely done more to clean the enviornment than anyone on this forum but I don't consider myself a self consciously green person.
fair enough

Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 PM

49 posts, read 137,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coatsey View Post
As someone currently living in Bridgeport (on the north end near 26th), I would have to say that while there are very few black residents in Bridgeport it is far from racist. I'd say the largest racial divide in Bridgeport would be the staggering number of Asians who fail to live outside of their Asian community. I'd say the most integration in Bridgeport takes place between the White and Hispanic communities.
As history has shown, minorities live close among their peers is to lend/gain support, maintain their cultural identity, and become better citizens of the country in which they live in. There is nothing wrong with that. I, for one, am Chinese and have lived for 31 years in Chicago, outside Bridgeport and occasionally would visit Bridgeport (Chinatown) on holidays to support my culture.
Your posting has an undertone that Asians (especially Chinese) in the Bridgeport area fail to mingle and integrate with other ethnics because of their residence. That is far from the truth. If history has shown anything, The Chinese has played a part in building this country to where it is today for the last 2 centuries, and has worked to desegregate, abolish prejudice and gain a voice/hand in lifting this nation out of the dark age of racism. Is it wrong for the Chinese to congregate like the Irish, German, Polish, Indian, Jews, Russians had? If what you imply about these Chinese failing to integrate into the society, then shouldn't we noy assume the same about the other ethnic groups I have just mentioned?
Living among peers does not mean less integration and support for the country.
From your post, I would assumed that you are not in the minority and have failed to grasp a better understanding of your history and other cultural exposures to even give a valid input regarding racial division and racism.

Last edited by zenboy; 06-16-2011 at 04:35 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADASGIRL View Post
I think most folks are over-analyzing the topic - lets utilize Occam's razor people: simplest answer works. Most black people have no REAL cause to reside in Bridgeport. Think about it. Those that are/were poorest were placed in subsidized housing - projects - concrete jungles...there is one such development near Bridgeport, but history has shown us this demographic wasnt exactly primed to buy up the bungalows of Bridgeport...
Your post doesn't do you any justice regarding racism. These subsidized housing, regardless if they were poorly built or not (even by your standard) are not 'conrete jungle'. They were homes that have covered the heads of some poor minority citizens who had struggled to better their life; but nevertheless, these housings are still called home. These people are not animals; they are human being and should be treated and spoken about with respect.
Calling someone's residence a 'concrete jungle' is out of the line and is definitely racist in thought and tone!

Last edited by zenboy; 06-16-2011 at 04:32 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenboy View Post
Calling someone's residence a 'concrete jungle' is out of the line and is definitely racist in thought and tone!
Really? I thought it just meant an alienating lack of nature. It's often used for giant cities like New York and L.A. without any racial connotation that I'm aware of. Maybe I've been naive?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,478,478 times
I've never heard of a racial connotation being associated with the term concrete jungle either.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I've never heard of a racial connotation being associated with the term concrete jungle either.
You are right about the association and I was wrong for not knowing the meaning of the word. I had jumped to the conclusion that the word 'jungle' with animalistic habitat and assumed that DADASGIRL was degrading other ethnic group.
I rescind my posting and publicly apologize to DADASGIRL for my dump mistake.

"Not to alter one's faults is to be faulty indeed."
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." --Confucius

Last edited by zenboy; 06-16-2011 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago