Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 PM

725 posts, read 1,840,438 times

Advertisements

Albany Park is one of the most diverse communities in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 04:49 PM

44 posts, read 197,380 times
Id still go with McKinley Park or even Pilsen... I lived in M Park the past seven years and Id say it is nearly 85% Mexican, possibly more. It is a never ending stretch of Mexican businesses- groceries, restaurants, etc. I ended up speaking Spanish nearly everywhere, as it was the tongue most often heard on the street there.... There is nothing better than champurrado y tamales from the corner in the winter and agua de tamarindo, elotes, y paletas de arroz from any street corner or intersection in the summer.. I miss it now, being down south....

Old 10-01-2008, 08:08 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,153,603 times
Believe it or not, the southwest side of the city still exists. Check out Archer Heights, West Elsdon, and West Lawn. Head south down Pulaski from the Stevenson down to 71st St. and just about every sign is in Spanish. Also, Clearing, along 63rd from Harlem to Central has a rapidly growing Hispanic population. This area is quiet, safe, has good transportation (The Orange Line tends to be cleaner, safer and more reliable then most other El lines), and is considerably cheaper then a comparable neighborhood on the north side. For most of last year La Ley, (107.9, En Chicago Manda) had wrapped the El cars on the Orange Line with their advertisements. Definitely a considerable Hispanic presence down here.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:28 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
News from Belmont-Cragin:

1 wounded in Belmont Cragin shooting - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/1-wounded-in-belmont-cragin-shooting.html - broken link)

Old 04-11-2010, 11:48 AM

760 posts, read 1,266,301 times
Garfield Ridge has a pretty large Hispanic population. It's fairly safe, but rather boring and bland.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:16 PM

64 posts, read 171,364 times
I would just like to put my 2 cents in. I live am a white young adult living in Little Village and absolutely love it. I have not had a single problem just use common sense. As far as kids playing..I hear them running around the block until 10. The ice creme truck runs tell about that time too. Yes, I do here people occasionally having "fun" on weekends but it is just music and drinking. I think that City-Data is extremely helpful in most cases but if I would have listened to the people on this board I wouldn't be living happily where I do now, or paying $400 rent all utilities included.

The L is fine during morning and early evening if it is late take the bus, I only live about a half a blok from the Cermak bus and never feel uncomfortable. Street parking is also doable. Do not illiminate any areas you are considering based on what the board says. You have to do what you feel would be the most like home and in your budget.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:13 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,158,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag48 View Post
I would just like to put my 2 cents in. I live am a white young adult living in Little Village and absolutely love it. I have not had a single problem just use common sense. As far as kids playing..I hear them running around the block until 10. The ice creme truck runs tell about that time too. Yes, I do here people occasionally having "fun" on weekends but it is just music and drinking. I think that City-Data is extremely helpful in most cases but if I would have listened to the people on this board I wouldn't be living happily where I do now, or paying $400 rent all utilities included.

The L is fine during morning and early evening if it is late take the bus, I only live about a half a blok from the Cermak bus and never feel uncomfortable. Street parking is also doable. Do not illiminate any areas you are considering based on what the board says. You have to do what you feel would be the most like home and in your budget.
Finally...

It's just a different culture.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,419,263 times
Mag- You've been living there for 3 weeks. Let us know how wonderful it is in 3 years.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:42 PM

64 posts, read 171,364 times
I would think it could only get better. Three weeks is enough time for me to determine whether I am living in a good or bad area. I am not saying it's lincoln park but the OP may find an affordable living option here and it is not all bad. I would rather live where I am now than uptown any day.

Last edited by mag48; 04-11-2010 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 PM

760 posts, read 1,266,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Mag- You've been living there for 3 weeks. Let us know how wonderful it is in 3 years.
The overall crime index of Little Village ranks #24, scoring better than the Loop, Near West Side, Logan Square, West Town, and Humboldt Park, among other areas.

Another area which is pretty safe and has a growing Hispanic population is Berwyn, although it's not in Chicago, but pretty very near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago