Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2008, 08:54 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,623 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am relocating in a few weeks to Chicago and wanted to know are there any middle class hispanic neighborhoods in the city? I'll be coming with my wife and newborn child from Mexico. A cousin that used to live here in Chicago a few years back said to avoid Little Village, Back of The Yards, and areas around Pilsen. He lived around Markette park and said the area was starting to go bad. This was around 2000. Is it still bad? I was driving in Little Village this past weekend and all I saw was guys drinking beer in their front yards and almost no kids playing in front of their houses. So I'm most likely not going to bring my wife and child around that area. So are there any Mexican neighborhoods that are low in crime and middle class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2008, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Chicago - West Lakeview
1,720 posts, read 2,541,073 times
Reputation: 882
McKinley Park is a nice, majority Hispanic neighborhood. Basically middle class, and pretty quiet. It's southwest around 35th & Damen. It seems most like what you're looking for.

Marquette Park has gotten worse since 2000. Back of the Yards is pretty rough, so I'd avoid it. Parts of Pilsen are gentrifying. East Pilsen near Halsted St is better than west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Evanston
725 posts, read 1,838,153 times
Reputation: 195
How about Albany Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Southwest Suburbs
4,593 posts, read 9,132,444 times
Reputation: 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_TresPalacios View Post
Hello all,
I am relocating in a few weeks to Chicago and wanted to know are there any middle class hispanic neighborhoods in the city? I'll be coming with my wife and newborn child from Mexico. A cousin that used to live here in Chicago a few years back said to avoid Little Village, Back of The Yards, and areas around Pilsen. He lived around Markette park and said the area was starting to go bad. This was around 2000. Is it still bad? I was driving in Little Village this past weekend and all I saw was guys drinking beer in their front yards and almost no kids playing in front of their houses. So I'm most likely not going to bring my wife and child around that area. So are there any Mexican neighborhoods that are low in crime and middle class?
You can try Albany Park on the northside, its middle class and is also racially diverse along with a large hispanic population. And if you don't mind living in the suburbs, you can check out West Chicago in the west suburbs. West Chicago is 50% hispanic and have a low crime rate and is middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,707 posts, read 102,600,345 times
Reputation: 29960
There is a lot of Hispanic integration into the middle-class neighborhoods of the Northwest Side such as Albany Park, Portage Park, Irving Park (east side of the neighborhood in particular), and Belmont-Cragin. The crime rate in Belmont-Cragin is a little higher than the other places but it's not out of control like it is in Little Village. McKinley Park is also a good place to look, as previously suggested. Pilsen isn't too bad either, though there is still a fairly notable gang presence there and if your newborn is a boy there may be some pressure on him to join as he gets older. Avoid Little Village at all costs, and Marquette Park has definitely not gotten any better since 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Evanston
725 posts, read 1,838,153 times
Reputation: 195
Or some parts of Roger's Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Chicago - West Lakeview
1,720 posts, read 2,541,073 times
Reputation: 882
Rogers Park is ok, but it's not the greatest area. West Ridge is nice, but it's more Asian than Hispanic.

Also, you could try Jefferson Park. It's bit further out, but pretty safe. It's majority Polish, but has a decent number of Hispanics, and Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 09:29 AM
 
1,817 posts, read 4,901,624 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Or some parts of Roger's Park?
I live in East Rogers park and think its overall pretty safe. I dont know if it would be considered a hispanic community. Im not sure where the Western boundary of Rogers Park is, but once you get around Clark there is a large hispanic presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Chicago
2,467 posts, read 12,203,823 times
Reputation: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
I live in East Rogers park and think its overall pretty safe. I dont know if it would be considered a hispanic community. Im not sure where the Western boundary of Rogers Park is, but once you get around Clark there is a large hispanic presence.
I live close to clark and Devon and there is a large hispanic presence here, but not as much as in some of the other named areas. I also thought that I wouldn't like living here due to safety issues that people have named, but I LOVE it!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 10:38 AM
 
170 posts, read 532,930 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
I live close to clark and Devon and there is a large hispanic presence here, but not as much as in some of the other named areas. I also thought that I wouldn't like living here due to safety issues that people have named, but I LOVE it!!!!!

Wow, I am going to be living relatively close to you. I'm glad to hear you like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top