Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times

Advertisements

I tend to doubt that rents are going up right now. Evidence I've seen points to the contrary. But the types of people that historically bought condos in Chicago are waiting it out and renting longer. So if the economy improves without a huge improvement in the real estate market, and a bunch of jobs are created in Chicago again, rents could shoot up at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:18 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
I've noticed that in my Lakeview highrise, asking rents for condos have come way down from where they were a couple years ago... and still no takers. Apparently some units are sitting empty because I'm seeing the same units available for rent on craigslist month after month. One unit in particular has been on the rental market since at least September, the landlord has dropped the rent more than $300 from his original asking price, and it's still not renting. And I know which unit it is, I've seen it inside, and it's a nice one, too.

My impression is that the rental market in Chicago is down right now because of the poor economy. I'm hearing that many younger people have lost their jobs and have had to give up their apartments and move back home to wherever to live with mom and dad... which means more vacancies than usual.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
...Now I am seeing 2 bedrooms go for as much as $4000 a month...
Where are you looking? Downtown Chicago?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:25 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
I only got $700 renting out my second bedroom in October, but I'm getting $800/month starting in February. Of course, I had to throw in my parking space both in October and February, and in 2008 I got $800/month not including parking, so rates are still off their peak.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:23 PM

84 posts, read 342,351 times
I'm looking for an apartment 1 bedroom near Kimball in Lawrence BrownLine Station. I would like to leave near there like Drake, St. Louis, Bernard, Ainsle any suggestion?

Old 01-21-2010, 03:15 PM

527 posts, read 1,244,665 times
Default Rents ARE up

the Real Estate DUMPING of 08 put more renters on the market, and often foreclosures forced renters back on the market as well. Even as the real estate market rights itself somewhat, rents are still on the whole up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I tend to doubt that rents are going up right now. Evidence I've seen points to the contrary. But the types of people that historically bought condos in Chicago are waiting it out and renting longer. So if the economy improves without a huge improvement in the real estate market, and a bunch of jobs are created in Chicago again, rents could shoot up at that point.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Default Rents are NOT up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basekamp View Post
the Real Estate DUMPING of 08 put more renters on the market, and often foreclosures forced renters back on the market as well. Even as the real estate market rights itself somewhat, rents are still on the whole up.
No they're not. For one, more people are consolidating housing by taking on roommates, or for young singles, moving back in with their parents. Second, there is a huge oversupply of new condos on the market right now. Lots of them have been converted into rental units at least temporarily so that the developers can at least get some cash flow out of them to try to stay above water until the real estate market can get back on its feet. The vacancy rate has gone up since the meltdown.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:46 PM

226 posts, read 979,428 times
Where have you seen such price? Seriously. Have you tried craigslist and filter to your price range? You must be looking into Gold Coast rentals and or Lincoln Park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
I cannot believe the prices pre vs. post holiday. Now I am seeing 2 bedrooms go for as much as $4000 a month. What are the landlords thinking? seriously?!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenona View Post
I'm looking for an apartment 1 bedroom near Kimball in Lawrence BrownLine Station. I would like to leave near there like Drake, St. Louis, Bernard, Ainsle any suggestion?
There are a TON of rentals on Kimball heading northbound on your way to Foster. I walk from the Kimball stop to NEIU and I have seen these. The For rent signs and numbers are posted out front. Do a quick little pass by,.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times
I've been salivating looking at how low some units rental prices have been on craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago