Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I read through the 2007 audit done on the CTA by an independant source. It was to find out why the CTA is always in such a crisis, and how they're wasting all their money.

The results actually found that the CTA performs just as good or better as far as operating expenses per revenue mile/hour/passenger compared to the other large agencies in the country.

What it all boiled down to is that the CTA has been the worst funded transit agency for decades now. They're basically forced to run in a state of permenant "partial shut-down" because they've never had enough funding to properly run things since the middle of the 20th century. I'm sure they could still cut a lot of overhead and "fluff", but at the end of the day they're operating on financial life support, and just before the system finally crashes the state will fork over just enough money to keep it going for another year. It's become normal to be budgeted amounts for repairs and maintenance, but then every single year that money is diverted to actually keep trains and buses running. After decades of that you're completely screwed.

This was suppose to be the year they got a solid footing with the sales tax increase, but of course it was a disaster because the economy went to hell. EVERY transit agency is in dire straights these days. I'd have to disagree with the OP. There are two different situations going on here at the same time. It's not like the CTA got all their new sales tax money and went out and bought a horse farm or something. Imagine if they hadn't pushed that increase through - then we'd have some SERIOUS problems.
This is actually the reason. Chicago is the generator of all the money that flows through Illinois... and receives little benefit of it. The state wants to take from the city but gives little enough back, including a well-funded transit system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:13 AM

92 posts, read 309,661 times
Default CTA reducing service and raising fees

I read in the Chicago Tribune today that the CTA has announced its plan to reduce service on 41 routes (some routes will cut 3 hours or more of service meaning buses would run 10 to 13% less frequently) and eliminating service on over a half a dozen routes. Also, raising rates to $3 for a basic bus or train fee. This concerns me because it can be a long wait currently.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,552 times
Here is the link to the story (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/10/ctas-plan-3-train-rides-25-cent-bus-fare-hike.html - broken link)

Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 AM

367 posts, read 917,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesCatsandDogs View Post
This concerns me because it can be a long wait currently.
I never wait that long at all for buses or trains. It may be because I use them during rush hours when they run more frequently.

The weekends can be rough sometimes. I had to catch a few buses this Sunday and it was also pretty easy thanks to bustracker. I didn't wait more than 5-10 mins. If I can time them it's not so bad.

I am bothered by the monthly going up to $110.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:56 AM

8 posts, read 30,059 times
you ain't seen nothing yet.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaThe View Post

I am bothered by the monthly going up to $110.
x2. Thats starting to become expensive. I live just far away from my work that walking is sort of a pain, but definetly doable. I would prolly cancel my cta card from April-Oct if they do

Old 10-12-2009, 12:16 PM

367 posts, read 917,860 times
Good point. I'm a bike ride away and could probably do that when it's not raining.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
We see this posturing every year when it's budget time as a way to try to drum up more state funding. Whether they will actually carry out the aforementioned plan remains to be seen. When it's this drastic, they usually don't.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:51 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
the rate hike, isnt really that much, just .75 more then now. but, the cutting down in service, I could see it creating more problems.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 PM

27 posts, read 226,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
the rate hike, isnt really that much, just .75 more then now. but, the cutting down in service, I could see it creating more problems.
but $0.75 is 33% of the current rate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago