Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 08:41 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Thank you useless piece of manure Rickey Hendon. Anyone that votes for this joker for Lt. Governor is a moron.

"...Hendon said in a delicious sound bite captured by WBEZ. "I will die and go meet Jesus before I allow them to take away free rides for seniors!"

State Senator Hendon Bashes CTA Over Free Seniors Repeal | NBC Chicago

Plan to cut free transit rides dies in Springfield - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/10/todays-political-agenda-free-cta-rides-cemetery-reform.html - broken link)

http://www.senatedem.ilga.gov/phocad...est-102109.pdf

''We want the seniors to ride free all over the state,'' said state Sen. Rickey Hendon, D-Chicago."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009...-Illinois.html

"But Chicago Democrat Ricky Hendon says lawmakers are looking to "screw" senior citizens."

http://www.dewittdailynews.com/2009_...chive-news.php
OH MY GOD. he had a more priceless quote than the "Mayor Daley could raise a billion for the olympics, why not a few million for the CTA." I thought he was just ignorant to the fact that the CTA is a state agency. Nah, he's just ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 04:25 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Some of what the stimulus funding was used for, according to the CTA, but then again, they could just be lying and lining Rodriguez/Daley/Obama's pockets with it:
Deprecated Browser Error

Federal public transit funding, from the transportation bill, does not cover operations, you know that right? And, if I read correctly, CTA is transferring some of their capital maintenance funding to operations, which is always a healthy idea. Whatever federal funding the CTA, and every other transit operation in the country gets will remain with the same formula as the expired transportation bill, which, as usual, favors highways.

Quinn signed a capital bill, but I'm not sure if they've worked out the funding mechanism for it.

I mean if you want to start a discussion blaming Obama for all of the CTA's operating shortfalls, go right ahead. All I was trying to say is that transportation as a whole in this country is in enormous trouble, because we built this enormous system and no one thought about the usable life of it and how much maintenance costs would skyrocket.

By the way, I know people that work there in administration, and don't you worry, they're getting a pay cut and furlough days like everybody else.

This is one of the huge issues affecting the CTA and transit agencies all over the country.

For many years, the federal bill 49 U.S.C. 5307 allocated funds to transit agencies covering cities of more than 200,000 people with operational funds.

Those funds were then phased out from 2005 to 2007 (I think that's the time period), and as a result the large cities of the country had to hope for fare increases, good economies or "other" ways to recover all that money. Notice how you really didn't hear a lot from the CTA for a decade or so, then suddenly in 2007 and after things started to go insane. I don't understand why the media or CTA doesn't bring this up when talking about funding issues. Everyone just blows it off like - well things were fine the past 10 years, why are we suddenly going through doomsdays and broke broke broke now??!?? Regardless of the reason, there is a reason this has been happening now. Things were suppose to be fixed with the tax increase to fill all those funds - but of course with funds drying up with the horrible economy - it's like your car breaking down 2 days after you get laid off and your wife needs her wisdom teeth removed.

What the hell do we do now?

Historically as well, the CTA was SO good at diverting capital funds to operations to cover things without causing a big stink. So now you have a broken down car, a wife needing her teeth out, you lost your job - oh - and you neglected to take care of your oven, furnace, garage door and dryer for the past 10 years and they SERIOUSLY need some work.

Yay!

Old 11-01-2009, 05:39 PM

367 posts, read 917,731 times
Probably plenty of money to pave middle of nowhere country roads in Illinois I bet. Or am I just being cynical?

Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This is one of the huge issues affecting the CTA and transit agencies all over the country.

For many years, the federal bill 49 U.S.C. 5307 allocated funds to transit agencies covering cities of more than 200,000 people with operational funds.

Those funds were then phased out from 2005 to 2007 (I think that's the time period), and as a result the large cities of the country had to hope for fare increases, good economies or "other" ways to recover all that money. Notice how you really didn't hear a lot from the CTA for a decade or so, then suddenly in 2007 and after things started to go insane. I don't understand why the media or CTA doesn't bring this up when talking about funding issues. Everyone just blows it off like - well things were fine the past 10 years, why are we suddenly going through doomsdays and broke broke broke now??!?? Regardless of the reason, there is a reason this has been happening now. Things were suppose to be fixed with the tax increase to fill all those funds - but of course with funds drying up with the horrible economy - it's like your car breaking down 2 days after you get laid off and your wife needs her wisdom teeth removed.

What the hell do we do now?

Historically as well, the CTA was SO good at diverting capital funds to operations to cover things without causing a big stink. So now you have a broken down car, a wife needing her teeth out, you lost your job - oh - and you neglected to take care of your oven, furnace, garage door and dryer for the past 10 years and they SERIOUSLY need some work.

Yay!
Yeah, the feds only cover for capital items now, and even with that it's a. highly competitive and b. only around 50% federal match. Pretty sure that highway projects still get like 90%.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Ok, so let me guess,instead of cutting the fat as well as cutting back or eliminating the free rides for seniors, lets borrow more money. The CTA and state will be in even more debt over the next few years. What is there left to tax-toilet paper?

"While the deal would avoid a fare increase through 2011, there would still be $90 million in service cuts."

"In the agreement, the Regional Transportation Authority will sell $166 million in bonds for capital projects on which the state will agree to pay the interest."

"...state government already has an estimated $10 billion deficit and is three months behind in paying its bills--was asked how much interest the state would have to pay in two years."

"For the debt service, it would be about $5 million or so in the first year, roughly $10 million in the second year," said Quinn.

Deal cut to avoid CTA fare hike - 11/11/09 - Chicago News - abc7chicago.com

Old 11-11-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Ok, so let me guess,instead of cutting the fat as well as cutting back or eliminating the free rides for seniors, lets borrow more money. The CTA and state will be in even more debt over the next few years. What is there left to tax-toilet paper?

"While the deal would avoid a fare increase through 2011, there would still be $90 million in service cuts."

"In the agreement, the Regional Transportation Authority will sell $166 million in bonds for capital projects on which the state will agree to pay the interest."

"...state government already has an estimated $10 billion deficit and is three months behind in paying its bills--was asked how much interest the state would have to pay in two years."

"For the debt service, it would be about $5 million or so in the first year, roughly $10 million in the second year," said Quinn.

Deal cut to avoid CTA fare hike - 11/11/09 - Chicago News - abc7chicago.com
I'm pretty sure this is the dumbest thing that I've read in a long time.

We're going to lose service, and your train will probably fall of the rails due to deferred maintenance, but by god, we'll still pay the same price!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the dumbest thing that I've read in a long time.

We're going to lose service, and your train will probably fall of the rails due to deferred maintenance, but by god, we'll still pay the same price!
Just wait. I am sure they will magically find a way to not cut service before the primary. This is all posturing to get Quinn and others primary victories.

Of course, they will find new creative ways to continue to tax people out of house and home at the same time as increasing our state debt.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Just wait. I am sure they will magically find a way to not cut service before the primary. This is all posturing to get Quinn and others re-elected or elected.

Of course they will find new creative ways to continue to tax people out of house and home.
He lost my vote the minute he said he wouldn't revoke Blago's cute free ride bonanza.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:08 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Wow, great news, no fare increase! Now instead of paying $3 for the El, you'll only have to pay $20 for a cab since there will be no transit available after 6:00.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Wow, great news, no fare increase! Now instead of paying $3 for the El, you'll only have to pay $20 for a cab since there will be no transit available after 6:00.
nice, but please tell me where it says all transit service will end at 6pm.

the idea that service is being sacrificed for no fare increase (caused quite a bit by no concessions from the union) is disgusting, but the L will still be running (at capacity at all hours but still running) at the same times and none of the buses end before 10.30 pm.

Unless I'm missing something glaring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago