Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:02 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times

Advertisements

Don't start the eviction process unless the tenant is 1 month behind. If they are just a few weeks it sucks but at least you are getting paid. Getting new tenants is a pain and you will still have to get rid of the original one, which will take a minimum of 3 months unless they leave out of the goodness of their hearts (this rarely happens with bad tenants). Bad tenants will milk you and your free rent as long as they can get away with it.

Of course bad tenants can pay on time but have other issues such as noise. I have never kicked anyone out for being too loud. Usually, I just call the cops. Usually, bad tenants will be loud and pay late, so they usually go together.

Also, know that you will not be able to get anyone out in December due to the moratorium on evictions 2 weeks prior to Christmas. If you don't get them out by Thanksgiving you will probably have to wait until January to do so. Also, keep in mind it has to be above 15 degrees to do an eviction. Good luck. I evicted 3 people at once last year, not fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:16 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
maybe its different in different cities but 10 days after the payment is due you usually give them a 5 day notice to pay the amount due or surrender the property by the 15th day

Old 10-18-2008, 01:00 PM

Default it is not that easy

You issue notice to evict after 5th of the month. Then the nonpaying tenant has 30 days to pay outstanding rent due, including back rent. Once 30 days pass you then schedule a court hearing, in which judges often are open to tenants requesting more time, which only delays things another 30 days.

My tenants lost on every account and it took 3 months to get them out. This is a best case scenario for a nonpaying tenant that does not want to leave. Generally, it will take 6 months or longer if they really fight you on eviction.

My neighbor took 13 months to evict a nonpaying section 8 tenant who refused to leave.

Also, you have to pay attorney fees while tenants have free legal represenation. There is also a tenants bill of rights written heavily in favor of tenants.

I only wish it took 15 days to get rid of nonpaying and bad tenant trash.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:27 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,109 times
so it took you 3 months after the 30 days to get them out? so a total of four months if you are lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
You issue notice to evict after 5th of the month. Then the nonpaying tenant has 30 days to pay outstanding rent due, including back rent. Once 30 days pass you then schedule a court hearing, in which judges often are open to tenants requesting more time, which only delays things another 30 days.

My tenants lost on every account and it took 3 months to get them out. This is a best case scenario for a nonpaying tenant that does not want to leave. Generally, it will take 6 months or longer if they really fight you on eviction.

My neighbor took 13 months to evict a nonpaying section 8 tenant who refused to leave.

Also, you have to pay attorney fees while tenants have free legal represenation. There is also a tenants bill of rights written heavily in favor of tenants.

I only wish it took 15 days to get rid of nonpaying and bad tenant trash.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 AM

4 posts, read 71,548 times
Post The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

What about apt. management that steals the property of the tenant that including trust, medication, food, money, documents? What about apt mgrs who's behavior preempt's any behavior from tenant so that it snow balls out of control? What about apartment managers who are dead beats themselves and treat tenants property like it is their own? You forget to mention the other side of the coin. The dark side of the moon when your dog is hiding under the bed and wont come out when you come home and you just wish they could tell you what happened? Then when you have to resort to recording your residence and catch them on film? Then they break two of your camera's when they steal more of your medication needed for your illness and you can't afford to replace it. Oh keep going, then they have some of the doormen in cahoots who inform them of your comings and goings, so that your place is a 7/11, 24/7. They just grab and take whatever they want from waters that is stuff I PAID FOR NOT THEM THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO JUST GRAB WHAT THEY PLEASE!

The violation and betrayel is quite unnerving and they should be put in jail for breaking and entering that happens to B&E criminals don't you know. Why not Apt mgrs who violate that trust god knows what else they do to your food if they will go the lengths of stealing it. They are merely the apartment mgrs they are not the kgb. I say in a perfect world boohoo for the bad tenants. There are far more terrible slum lord apt managers that is for damn sure. so think of the day when this doesn't happen but it will continue to When loser apt mgrs don't even have a high school diploma who are dirty amazon women Maybe it they actually get some from a sober partner or an inanimate object not named bob lol Think of the kids they have pushed out after drunken orgies. Think of the brain damage they suffer because they too are products of the bottle. Just think all the crap that could be avoided if you call the police right away, oh but they will say maybe they had a reason to be in your apt it was for your own good. Oh yeah, on a Thursday night at Midnight another Friday at 1 am and they are scrambling for reasons to defend them. When if some stranger which they truly are came into your place at such odd hours it would be making front page news for the apt manager stalkers that is exactly what they are.

As for non-payment we all pay when its said and done don't we and maybe that is what we are paying for inevitably for crimes someone has done somebody wrong song that makes us feel alone. Don't cry for the corporations who actually hire these types of managers. Don't cry for me Argentina They too are victims not all corporations are bad it is people and how do we fight back? well we learn the hard way and that takes some time, sometimes If things would of just been better get your day in court and don't take these apt mgrs without council if they are violation your rights like this then they will do it even more if you dont have proper council don't you forget it. And like the Tom and Jerry Cartoon "dont you believe it" Dont take matters into your own hands the apt mgrs will take and take until you defend yourself! Maybe then the corporations will do something that is my hope to help the tenant so things dont have to go any further they could understand the pain the tenant has went through!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 AM

Default LincolnParker

Did you get the tenant out that you were looking to evict back in October? I hope so. I am getting ready to evict another tenant in March. I will serve them eviction papers on March 2nd (my attorney advises me to do this in order to get credit for one more month's rent).

I should have them out by May/June. They started getting late back in November and I just didn't want to deal with another winter eviction.

Gulliver,

WTF?

Renters have so many more rights than landlords in Chicago, which is almost like giving bad people a license to steal. I still feel sorry for ghetto people but am tired of them taking advantage of my generosity and my MONEY and TIME. Non-paying renters are playing the system and are scum. Don't worry, even non-landlords pay for them thru their welfare and food stamp and Section 8 payments.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 71,548 times
lol If only you had an actual life you wouldn't pretend you pay for others even those section 8s are paying for themselves just as much as you think you are paying for them! lol What do you think they aren't taxed? aAnd you're lucky to be off section 8 since you got this job and would be back on sect 8 if you didn't get this job being an apt manager who steals and uses breaking and entering as a tool of the trade. If I had a job where I could use my tenants property as my own shop n stop Target well, I would be a theif like you.~

really get over yourself like you pay for anything lol

Anyone who pays a cent in tax; whether that is for a stick of gum, still pays, you moron. Everyone who pays a cent for tax any tax pays, not just you still collects your food stamps even though you are gainfully employed maybe if you didn't have so many kids to support because you couldn't keep there father drunk long enough and whenever he sobered up he ran for the door, yeah you're a real pillar to the community; you still take advantage of the system.

oh and dont pretend like you were continuing a thread, "oh did you get out that tenant from October you were trying to evict, I know who you are"

Old 02-23-2009, 05:01 PM

Default Gulliver

People who make less than $15K per year receive more in benefits than they pay in the system in taxes. This is fact.

Calling me a "moron" is a personal attack and I have reported you to the moderator and hope this will be resolved. The rest of your post is difficult to understand but you seem to call me a "theif", accuse me of collecting food stamps, having children with a drunk man (I am a guy, btw).

I trust the moderator will not allow such behavior on this forum, regardless of my political views.

I have never been on Section 8, Unemployment, Welfare, Food Stamps or any other gov't assistance. No one in my family has ever been on any of these programs. I do pay taxes and help pay for others to be on these programs.

I am a banker who happens to own an apartment building that I manage.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:04 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Gulliver did you forget to take your meds today?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Gulliver did you forget to take your meds today?

I think he's placing the pistol in his mouth as we speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago