U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2007, 08:08 PM

7 posts, read 24,097 times

Advertisements

I need a public transportation train or bus to work in downtown. I have a car which is in not so good condition and 1 dog. I wonder what is the best suburb (north suburbs) or city neighborhood with friendly neighbors (north side most best no lincoln park and lakeview).

That i earn $2000/Month

Thanks , Jack
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 08:16 PM

------------bump-------------

Old 02-14-2007, 08:17 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 13,421,945 times
if you earn $2000 a month, i don't see how you are going to be buying anything. What are you looking for in a neighborhood? I don't know the suburbs, but where are you moving from? And why won't you consider lincoln park or lakeview (I've never lived either place, lincoln park is a bit too expensive for me) but I know a lot of people who like both of those places, especially if they are new to the city.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:32 AM

lincoln park is too expensive and lakeview is also im just looking for a quiet neighborhood in chicago in the northside. Im sticking to rent then maybe 650- 735 a month for rent studio is good or 1br is better. im also looking for a neighborhood with not much crime. im coming from westchester county NY

Old 02-15-2007, 09:02 AM
j33

If you are looking for a quiet north side neighborhood to rent in then consider Ravenswood, Lincoln Square or Old Irving Park, all of those are quiet neighborhoods on the northwest side that are a bit further away from things, that with a bit of looking and patience, you may be able to find an apartment in your range.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:43 PM

how about jefferson park austin ave and foster vs west rogers kedzie ave and devon area in terms of safety and quietness since the houses are cheaper on the far north side.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:47 PM
j33

now you are starting to get further out. I don't like to make assumptions, but based on your user name, I'd guess you to be a bit on the younger side, and those neighborhoods are a bit older and more family oriented. How quiet are you wanting your neighborhood to be? And how long are you willing to commute to work?

Old 02-15-2007, 03:08 PM

I commute to work before used to be 2 hours in ny i work in downtown i commute to work in around 45 min - 1 hr. I used to come from a small town from texas.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:44 PM

4,701 posts, read 8,295,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ink1npark66 View Post
I need a public transportation train or bus to work in downtown. I have a car which is in not so good condition and 1 dog. I wonder what is the best suburb (north suburbs) or city neighborhood with friendly neighbors (north side most best no lincoln park and lakeview).

That i earn $2000/Month

Thanks , Jack
Nothing wrong with renting. Everyone is brainwashed to buy at this point but a low cost rental can allow you to save money for a down payment and build up a credit history. Plus, you have flexibility to try out different neighborhoods and figure out where you'd like to live when you do commit to buy.

Generally, most financial planners recommend that you spend no more than 30% of your monthly income on housing. So for you, we're talking $600/month. That's not even close to buying a house in a safe, quiet area with nice neighbors. Of course, most lenders these days would probably give you a mortgage that took up 80% of your income but this isn't recommended. So on the limited info you gave, I'd say to rent and wait until you can afford something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago