Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

In response to increasing hostilities in the city's public high schools in which threats of physical violence have now caused increasing numbers of LGBT students to either skip school or drop out entirely, the city is considering opening a new public high school that would be welcome for anyone but would specifically seek to attract LGBT individuals who feel too harassed or threatened to go to other public schools. As someone who was bullied myself in public school for being gay, I applaud this measure.

Chicago May Get 'Gay-Friendly' School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 06:17 PM

39 posts, read 120,387 times
Yes, let's segregate the students. That will sure teach kids to appreciate each other. It will be like 1950 all over again.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:27 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
The LGBT community is really excited about the upcoming gay high school and it has gotten a lot of press in recent weeks here in the city. I understand they are working off the New York City model and will be able to pull the positives/negatives from that venture, as it has been up and running for a few years.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler256 View Post
Yes, let's segregate the students. That will sure teach kids to appreciate each other. It will be like 1950 all over again.
Is the alternative of sending LGBT kids to schools where they are harassed, threatened, and abused while teachers and administrators look the other way preferable to you? I always thought Chicago was such a "progressive" city, but if sociocultural relations there are THIS dire, then apparently I'm mistaken. At least I was never physically harmed here in PA. The worst I have to deal with are people screaming slurs at me from car windows when I go running or the one occasion when a beer bottle was flung at me from a passing car.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:38 PM

39 posts, read 120,387 times
Listen, the more exposure these kids get to the rest of society the more they will be integrated into it. Hiding them in a special school won't do a lick of good for these kids.

You can't hide gay people away and then expect society to welcome them with open arms.

Segregation is a bad idea. How are people suppose to learn about people different from themselves if they are segregated?

Old 10-13-2008, 07:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Is the alternative of sending LGBT kids to schools where they are harassed, threatened, and abused while teachers and administrators look the other way preferable to you? I always thought Chicago was such a "progressive" city, but if sociocultural relations there are THIS dire, then apparently I'm mistaken. At least I was never physically harmed here in PA. The worst I have to deal with are people screaming slurs at me from car windows when I go running or the one occasion when a beer bottle was flung at me from a passing car.
plenty of black students were harassed, threatened, and abused when school first integrated. if these students had just given in and gone back to being in segregated schools, I shudder to think where we'd be now as a country.

seems like it would be better to address these issues in the existing schools than to run away from them. don't get me wrong, I feel for these kids, and know it's tough for them, but I don't think building a new school JUST to escape persecution is the answer. educating the masses should be the answer. it won't be quick (still plenty of racism in some school districts), but progress would be made faster if the GLBT kids didn't segregate themselves

Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 PM

What should be done then? I am in agreement that perhaps segregation is not the ideal solution here, but can we also continue to permit these LGBT students to feel as if their personal safety is in danger every time they head into class? I know what it's like to have faculty members turn the other way because they either don't want to get involved or they themselves are homophobic and encourage such behaviors. Should all students in Chicago's public schools be mandated to undergo cultural sensitivity training? This is most unusual for me since by and large the younger one is the more likely he or she is to be open-minded to new experiences. I'd expect such vile behavior from older people who are stuck in the past, but from Generation Y as well? This is unconscionable.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM

89 posts, read 267,812 times
I dont think segregation is the way to go...eventually these kids will get to the real world...go to college, get jobs...they'll have to deal with the real world at some point..I think its insane though that this is such a problem, I went to a high school where never once has there been a problem...I think it depends on the environment of the school...if the teachers/administrators are homophobic themselves and they see no purpose in stoping these kinds of actions it only adds to the problem. I went to a school that had a gay/lesbian alliance club, maybe 20% of the schools staff was also gay so it helped make the school more accepting. i think that a few yrs back the school was actually on tv and in papers for being one of the more gay friendly schools in the country. More schools need to follow the lead of my old HS and becoming more accepting and stop the hatred, but segregation is not the way to go, it'll only worsen things.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:12 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
The intention of the school isn't to segregate, but to create a school where teachers and administrators work to make sure it is a non-threatening environment for kids who have had bad experiences at other schools

Quote:
"It is not going to be a 'gay high school,' but yes, in a way, it is meant to target kids who feel they have been victims of bullying for their sexual orientation or perceived orientation,"
If it follows the model used it other cities it won't even be a majority gay school.

I agree it is horrible that ALL schools aren't safe environments for gay and lesbian students, but teenagers can be real idiots about homosexuality. By the time they get to their mid-20's most gay students are more confident and many of the students who would have given them sh*t in high school have matured. I can understand how it makes sense to create a school to get gay kids through the worst years of adolescence.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:02 AM

414 posts, read 884,473 times
This is a problematic issue. Remember this kind of behavior stems from ignorance and bigotry. One solution is to teach children about sexuality early on before hormones cloud their minds. However, in this puritanical society, no PTA would ever agree to do that b/c most adults are still immature about their own sexuality.

Another thing to do is hold teachers accountable for their students' behavior. This might encourage them to foster tolerance among their students. However, this will not stop the problem since the problem children learn these behaviors at home and will continue to harass gays just outside of the school's reach.

The most extreme approach would be to apply a zero tolerance rule for this behavior. However, in the end, a child will end up losing out on education b/c their parents taught them that gay people are evil and disgusting.

Segregation will not solve the problem. It will only work to worsen it. Children will grow up thinking that gays are supposed to be put away and out of view b/c they are socially unacceptable. When these kids grow up to be adults these feeling will translate into prejudices that can keep homosexuals from getting or keeping jobs or it could lead to a growing popularity in anti-gay legislation.

You must confront the problem...not displace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: