Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:34 PM

161 posts, read 699,299 times

Advertisements

After doing a good deal of research it seems like the neighborhoods that are up-and-coming appear to be (in no particular order): 1. Pilsen, 2. the area between Pilsen and the University Village, 3. the northern border of Bronzeville like State and 26/27th, 4. Bridgeport, 5. Logan Square, 6. "West Wicker Park" (a.k.a. East Humboldt Park), 7. Printer's Row, and very slowly, 8. Uptown.

Am I right, are these areas up-and-coming or wishful thinking??????? Secondly, are there any other neighborhoods that I missed/overlooked that should go on this list???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
After doing a good deal of research it seems like the neighborhoods that are up-and-coming appear to be (in no particular order): 1. Pilsen, 2. the area between Pilsen and the University Village, 3. the northern border of Bronzeville like State and 26/27th, 4. Bridgeport, 5. Logan Square, 6. "West Wicker Park" (a.k.a. East Humboldt Park), 7. Printer's Row, and very slowly, 8. Uptown.

Am I right, are these areas up-and-coming or wishful thinking??????? Secondly, are there any other neighborhoods that I missed/overlooked that should go on this list???????
I'd add Near West Side to the list too, as well as Albany Park and the South Shore -- particularly the area around Jackson Park. I also add a cautionary note -- "up and coming" does not mean "a shoe-in to gentrify," if that's what you mean by wishful thinking. You should never move to an area assuming it's going to gentrify, particularly neighborhoods which have high rental and condo concentrations. You have no way of predicting what's going to happen. Logan Square has been up and coming since the mid-1980s. Uptown and Albany Park have been "about to pop" for at least a decade now. Also note that "up and coming" neighborhoods often are priced as though they already arrived. Uptown is a good example.

Choose an area that you like and feel comfortable in -- as is. Otherwise, you're bound to be disappointed. Nothing like being stuck in a neighborhood you hate.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:18 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Default Up-and-Coming

Up and coming usually means an area which has yet to revitalize. Areas that are on the brink of gentrification. Lots of so called up-and-coming areas are beyond that point. The main appeal of up and coming neighborhoods is affordable price and potential for improvement. Logan Square, Pilsen, Uptown, and Printers Row are all areas that have very high prices. You can easily find a single family home in Logans Square listed for 1 million. Hardly up-and-coming status.

If you want a true up-and-coming area you need to look west. East Garfield Park, United Center, and Lawndale to a lesser extent are all up-and-coming areas. Businessweek and MSN listed East Garfield Park in their top 10 up-and-coming neighborhoods in the nation. It is true that moving into or investing in an up-and-coming area involves many challenges. Not everyone is cut out to be an urban pioneer. However for those willing to tough it out, the payoff is usually huge. I remember Wicker Park/ West Town having alot of gang problems and drive by shootings in the early 90's.

http://realestate.msn.com/buying/Art...27326&GT1=9323

Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,140 times
Pullman should definitely be on this list.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 40,981 times
I'm still pulling for Uptown.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puguglies View Post
I'm still pulling for Uptown.
Except for a short chunk of the Broadway corridor, it seems like Uptown has finally arrived. Little Saigon also still has a slight rough edge, but hey, it's Little Saigon and I'm not sure it should or ever will be any other way.

Anyone know what's to become of the Uptown Theater?

Old 04-28-2007, 01:51 AM

1 posts, read 17,875 times
Default McKinley Park

McKinley Park. Check it out. 10 min to loop. Next neighborhood west of Bridgeport and south of Pilsen. Beautiful park. New Target. New library. Quiet. High owner ratio. Unspoiled. Like the old UV.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:13 PM

9 posts, read 18,390 times
Default Up and Coming Neighborhood

Pilsen is definately up and coming as well as Humboldt Park. Logan Square has already exploded as have Uptown. Prices have skyrocketed in this area. There are several factors which classify an area as up and coming.

1. Good housing stock, ie.. vintage turn of the century buildings with architectural value
2. Parks
3. Access to mass transit
4. Proximity to other up and coming areas
5. Proximity to city center

That being said I would have to agree that the near West Side and West Side are up and coming, East Garfield Park and Lawndale. Not everyone however is cut out to be an urban pioneer and you have to be able to put up with a certain level of crime. In my humble opinion I think the West Side has the greatest potential.

Pilsen and Humboldt Park however will develop at a slow pace due to various factors. Humboldt Park has many features in an up and coming area, but it also has a grass roots political movement which is mobilized and fights against gentrification and revitalization. Same goes for Pilsen, except Pilsen doesn't have the housing stock or the parks Humboldt Park has. I doubt many would consider McKinley Park up and coming. It's a quiet area, but it will more than likely not change for decades. I just don't see new comers flocking to an area on the soutwest side which is no where near any other development, and has bland architectural features. Don't get me wrong, its not a bad area, it is just not going to change.

I would venture to also call Bronzeville up and coming as well. Once again, they are not for everyone, but if you are an urban pioneer that can put up with the thugs and drug dealers than you should find a deal.

Last edited by Oliver Twist; 03-18-2008 at 04:21 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 04:27 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Anyone know what's to become of the Uptown Theater?
I heard some hearsay that the owners were sitting on the property for some reason. I'd imagine they were just waiting for the right offer.

I remember an article in Crain's about a year ago saying that several national entertainment companies were bidding on the space, but nothing materialized.

The place has been closed for over 25 years. It's an amazing space. I hope someone makes the purchase and restores the place to some glory.

That Lawrence/Broadway intersection is already a great place to go see a show (between the Aragon and the Riv). On top of that, you've got the Annoyance Theatre's new space right next to the Uptown and the Green Mill a few doors in the other direction. Combine that with other development in the area, but the still kinda cool gritty vibe of Little Saigon, and you've got the recipe for a mighty cool arts scene.

I think a restored Uptown would be the crown jewel that the area could still use.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
That and getting rid of Schiller...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago