Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:31 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzelady View Post
Probably because italian meet is linked to pork, whereas corned beef is what it is - beef. You know, people are health conscious these days and will pay more to be healthy. But, I do understand your comparison regarding cost.
I could be wrong, but Italian Beef is nothing but seasoned roast beef-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 04:25 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Noid, you're right. Italian beef is actual roast beef (I'm not sure what cut) with the italian herbs, garlic, etc. Lots of juice. My friends from NYC would be really insulted to hear that Chicago is known for corned beef. I know I think of NY for corned beef, but I do have to say that Morrie's in Hyde Park did have great corned beef years ago when I lived down there.
Bronzelady, if you haven't had an italian beef, you should give one a try. They are unique to Chicago and really delicious. I think they are best "dipped" with hot "giardinaira". Giardinaira is peppers and celery and carrots in olive oil.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
...and bacon is nothing but salted pork, sausage is seasoned pork, corned beef is salted beef...

...your point is what?...

Old 10-24-2008, 04:46 PM

37 posts, read 104,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Noid, you're right. Italian beef is actual roast beef (I'm not sure what cut) with the italian herbs, garlic, etc. Lots of juice. My friends from NYC would be really insulted to hear that Chicago is known for corned beef. I know I think of NY for corned beef, but I do have to say that Morrie's in Hyde Park did have great corned beef years ago when I lived down there.
Bronzelady, if you haven't had an italian beef, you should give one a try. They are unique to Chicago and really delicious. I think they are best "dipped" with hot "giardinaira". Giardinaira is peppers and celery and carrots in olive oil.
I have tried italian beef, Knitgirl. Actually at a place called Pops - I want to say at 103rd and Kedzie. They are good, with peppers and all the juice the meat is poured on the sandwich. Now, you have alot of wannabe's in cities like Peoria that claim their italian beef is like Chicago's. I will admit, they come close.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,129 times
Perry's Deli has the biggest and the best in Chicago, you can look it up online

Last edited by Joe Moe; 12-16-2008 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: I left out somethig

Old 12-16-2008, 10:25 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moe View Post
Perry's Deli has the biggest and the best in Chicago, you can look it up online
Yeesh. If you joined just to recommend Perry's, then you must be Perry himself. Big "meh" there.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
If you're a car-less North Sider, the corned beef at Frances' Deli on Clark is better than passable. I'd say it's actually pretty good, though I'm not qualified to get into "best in the city" arguments on this one.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Personally, I like Eisenberg corned beef better than Vienna's. Any place that serves Eisenberg has an edge, in my book.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:19 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Perry sold the place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Yeesh. If you joined just to recommend Perry's, then you must be Perry himself. Big "meh" there.
Perry 'retired' and sold the place. The sandwiches are still good, but too much of the atmosphere was tied to the owner. I suspect that the future will not be kind to the new owners...

The most lovingly prepared corned beef and pastrami has to be the Eleven City Diner. They are true "masters of meat".
Eleven City Diner :: Chicago Delicatessen, Deli, Corned Beef, Pastromi, Breakfast, Catering

Old 12-17-2008, 09:33 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
...and bacon is nothing but salted pork, sausage is seasoned pork, corned beef is salted beef...

...your point is what?...
Check the person I quoted- then respond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago