Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
not a lot of people from chicago like to talk about its' weather because chicago weather is seen as a drawback from the national perspective. really, it's the last hurdle chicago has. i think most people would say, yeah i would like to live in chicago but then they think about the weather and they say "but I hate the cold!" I guess the point I am trying to make is that the long time posters of this forum do not like discussing chicago's weather because it has been discussed a lot plus it is a negative for the city. i like discussing it though because i prefer a sunny and warm climate.
Listen, I'm perfectly willing to concede that some people just can't cope with Chicago weather, and I get puzzled when people defend Chicago weather like it's objectively tolerable rather than being a matter of personal taste. Just the same, I get annoyed when people believe everyone hates Chicago weather. Whenever some of us pipe up and say "guess what, some of us actually do like it," they act like we're the ones in denial instead of considering that they are in denial of the possibility that people can actually like the weather here. Take for example the claim that "it is undeniably true that it is simply too cold to be outside for any length of time and do anything worthwhile for long stretches in Chicago" when in fact many people head NORTH during the winter for outdoor recreational opportunities where there is actually MORE cold and MORE snow. Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan seasonal tourism actually rely on snow and cold weather.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:23 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
How do the Bears play in Chicago's winter then?
I think I specifically mentioned something about "burly Chicago men"

Old 10-20-2008, 09:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I think I specifically mentioned something about "burly Chicago men"
Annnnnd all the skinny pansies who cant take a little cold move to CA, whats the difference?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:38 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I'm one who doesn't really complain much about the weather. I like it chilly, and of COURSE Chicago has freezing cold days in the winter and pretty much everyone hates those days. When it's like -15F and you're trying to go to work. Luckly in a given year you have to deal with temps below 20 degrees during the daylight hours maybe 30 days a year.....8% of the year. Otherwise the "average" temps in winter are at freezing or above. While that might not be enjoyable, it's certainly "doable" without a lot of complaining. Just bundle up and 35 degrees isn't anything to cry about. Unfortunately it's only those days when it's 10 degrees that everyone remembers, not a week earlier when it was 55 degrees.

I do LOVE the piercing blue skies on cold sunny days. Everything just looks so crisp and vivid with no water in the air. It is true that while there is a lot of sun in the winter too, it is normally on the colder days. On the other hand the clouds make me feel less guilty sitting all cozy in my apartment hanging out during the winter instead of being tricked by bright sunshine that I should be out "enjoying the weather".

Old 10-20-2008, 11:47 AM

838 posts, read 3,096,665 times
for californians, winter means 50 degree weather

Old 10-20-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I do LOVE the piercing blue skies on cold sunny days. Everything just looks so crisp and vivid with no water in the air. It is true that while there is a lot of sun in the winter too, it is normally on the colder days. On the other hand the clouds make me feel less guilty sitting all cozy in my apartment hanging out during the winter instead of being tricked by bright sunshine that I should be out "enjoying the weather".
I actually TRY and get out when its sunny, regardless of the cold, because its gorgeous. I was out on this day for 4+ hours and hiked 5 miles. I only ran into 3 other people (1 CC skiier, 1 showshoer, and one other photographer). It was so quiet and peaceful and yet I thought to myself "why isnt anyone else out enjoying nature in winter?" Oh yeah, I forgot, theyre at the mall.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/040_40.jpg (broken link)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/Iceandtrees12-07.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-20-2008, 01:38 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I actually TRY and get out when its sunny, regardless of the cold, because its gorgeous. I was out on this day for 4+ hours and hiked 5 miles. I only ran into 3 other people (1 CC skiier, 1 showshoer, and one other photographer). It was so quiet and peaceful and yet I thought to myself "why isnt anyone else out enjoying nature in winter?" Oh yeah, I forgot, theyre at the mall.

Oh man those are pretty shots. My friend and I were walking around in that weather during our last winter trip to Chicago and he forgot sunglasses and the reflection off the snow sun burned his cornea and he couldn't see pretty much all day.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
Oh man those are pretty shots. My friend and I were walking around in that weather during our last winter trip to Chicago and he forgot sunglasses and the reflection off the snow sun burned his cornea and he couldn't see pretty much all day.
lol

Yeah, it definitely is blinding, Ill agree with you on that.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:45 PM

414 posts, read 884,473 times
Steve-o...where is that...do they have campgrounds...i just see flatness for miles

Old 10-20-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
Steve-o...where is that...do they have campgrounds...i just see flatness for miles
Most people only see flatness because they dont explore too much. Not trying to harp, because I was the same way until I graduated high school and had more personal freedom to explore the northern parts of the state. LOTS of nice hills in northern IL if you know where to look, and most areas/parks have campgrounds in or around the area.

The first 2 photos, yes, they have camping (Blackwell Forest Preserve in Warrenville, IL). The 3rd photo? Not sure. Thats Castle Rock State Park in Oregon, IL, if you want to do some research on the area. The last 3 photos are at Campton Hills Forest Preserve in Wasco, IL (just outside St. Charles). They dont have camping there, but you can hike for miles in and around the trails in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago