Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 PM

526 posts, read 1,055,601 times

Advertisements

this is a new thread i am starting i am from chicago but i would like to know the views others have not living in the chicago area on how it is affecting them.
I WONDER IF ILLINOIS SHOULD SEPERATE INTO 2. FOR TAX, POLITICAL REASONS.
IT SEEMS THAT CHICAGO TAKES FROM THE WHOLE STATE BEFORE IT EVEN GIVES BACK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 09:17 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,507,785 times
They have done this debate a few times in the main Illinois forum. Go do a search there and add your brilliance to an already beaten to death topic.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:22 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,126,251 times
Dude,

Are you serious? Chicago is the reason why Illinois is not Mississippi.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,970,684 times
NYC does the same thing to NY.. it's been debated over many states/cities quite a few times.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:35 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,948,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Dude,

Are you serious? Chicago is the reason why Illinois is not Mississippi.
haha

Old 09-22-2008, 09:42 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,696,430 times
I'd say Iowa instead of Mississippi, but it's the right idea.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,496,137 times
Hmmm guess companies like Boeing, BP Amoco, Prudential, the 3.5 million residents that live in the city alone paying the highest taxes in the country now, along with the tourism, and you know things like; The Chicago Auto Show which only draws over a million visitors per year and the auto dealers have to pay huge city and state taxes to be in the auto show, things like The Chicago Bears, Cubs, White Sox all of which have high entertainment taxes on their tickets, along with the hundreds of thousands of mom and pop as well as big box store businesses wouldn't come close to what Jethro and Mama Farming, Inc. or Ma and Pa Kettle funnel into the state on a yearly basis. You're right, Chicago is such a lag on the rest of Illinois. LOL!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 PM

526 posts, read 1,055,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Hmmm guess companies like Boeing, BP Amoco, Prudential, the 3.5 million residents that live in the city alone paying the highest taxes in the country now, along with the tourism, and you know things like; The Chicago Auto Show which only draws over a million visitors per year and the auto dealers have to pay huge city and state taxes to be in the auto show, things like The Chicago Bears, Cubs, White Sox all of which have high entertainment taxes on their tickets, along with the hundreds of thousands of mom and pop as well as big box store businesses wouldn't come close to what Jethro and Mama Farming, Inc. or Ma and Pa Kettle funnel into the state on a yearly basis. You're right, Chicago is such a lag on the rest of Illinois. LOL!
i live in chicago
and i am just saying even with that funding we cant seem to fix our transit system?
the potholes in the road and when they do its half As*ed!
where does the money go?
i'd like to see the infastructure fixed before these blessid highrises go up.
HOW MANY AGREE YOU WOULD RATHER SEE SCHOOLS IMPROVED FIRST
ROADS FIXED, AREA'S CLEANED UP BEFORE WE START APPROVING LAND FOR ANOTHER SKYSCRAPER THAT WILL BE STARVING FOR RESIDENTS TO FILL UP LOFTS AND ON THE BRINK OF BANKRUPTCY?

MY POINT REALY IS WHERE DOES THIS MONEY WE GET FROM THE SO CALLED "TOURISM, AUTO SHOW, TAXES UP THE A**???" GO? i do realize some of it does go towards the things ive said but its not enough, who comes in to help us with the rest?

Old 09-22-2008, 01:49 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,696,430 times
Read the other threads. Chicagoland subsidizes the rest of the state by a large margin, not the other way around.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:04 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,496,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
i live in chicago
and i am just saying even with that funding we cant seem to fix our transit system?
the potholes in the road and when they do its half As*ed!
where does the money go?
i'd like to see the infastructure fixed before these blessid highrises go up.
HOW MANY AGREE YOU WOULD RATHER SEE SCHOOLS IMPROVED FIRST
ROADS FIXED, AREA'S CLEANED UP BEFORE WE START APPROVING LAND FOR ANOTHER SKYSCRAPER THAT WILL BE STARVING FOR RESIDENTS TO FILL UP LOFTS AND ON THE BRINK OF BANKRUPTCY?

MY POINT REALY IS WHERE DOES THIS MONEY WE GET FROM THE SO CALLED "TOURISM, AUTO SHOW, TAXES UP THE A**???" GO? i do realize some of it does go towards the things ive said but its not enough, who comes in to help us with the rest?
Why don't you look to Todd Stroger who seems to have all his friends and family on his payroll, each of which are making about $200K a year. He would be a start as to where all the money goes. There's a reason why IL is known to be the most corrupt state in the union. Hell I even was hearing Rush Limbough pointing that out to slam Barack many times, that Obama comes from the most crooked state of all! "and this is the person we want to put in the White House?" were Rush's exact words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago