Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
How do we know "The Piggery" is not trying to appeal to hipsters?
There's no vintage "Old Style" sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There's no vintage "Old Style" sign.
Not yet at least.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 PM

947 posts, read 2,422,375 times
Quote:
It's a damn good drink, and I'm not going to let some hipsters mess it up for me. I love a good bourbon Manhattan.
Me too! Jack Manhattan or Jack Old Fashioned. My go-to drink forever.

Sorry just noticed this thread is 2 years old. Got excited at the mention of a bourbon manhattan.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:07 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
they'll probably be drinking tom collins soon, w/ some really cheap mix.

I'm surprised they don't drink those *club* drinks that come in a can or chelada, or maybe some good old donald duck orange juice and some cheap knotty head.

gin and tonic is still an acceptable non hipster fad drink right? :I I can't keep up with the hipster stuff.

wtf happens at a supper club.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
It's a damn good drink, and I'm not going to let some hipsters mess it up for me. I love a good bourbon Manhattan.
I'm with you, I don't care what the hipsters drink, pour the Makers Mark.

As far as supper clubs are concerned, I had to google the term to know what it was supposed to be, and I'm still not quite sure I get it.

Last edited by j33; 05-19-2010 at 09:31 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post

As far as supper clubs are concerned, I had to google the term to know what it was supposed to be, and I'm still not quite sure I get it.
You'll need to spend more time in Wisconsin to truly understand.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post

See posts #8 and #10 for Vol. I and Vol. II, respectively, of my treatise on supper clubs. For a classical Chicago-style take on the concept, see Twin Anchors (less formal) or Gale Street Inn (more formal). Biasetti's -- which for decades occupied the space that was occupied by Cordis Brothers until a few weeks ago and is now occupied by The Piggery -- was another great example of the Chicago version. I'm still sad that place is gone. They had the best bang-for-the-buck steak in the city, hands down.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:18 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Default Supper Club

A supper club in the day was an establishment with full bar service that only served full meals in the evening and usually had live music 3 or 4 nights a week. Steak was a staple on the menu. It could be very upscale or not. Two things were common dim lights and a generous drink that didn't come from the speed rack. And men wore expected to wer suits; women in dresses or skirts. The upscale club had more of a reserved country club ambience where a jacket and tie ws mandatory and wome were expected to wear appropriate envening wear.

Some morephed into nice family restaurants where casual wear was more acceptable. I expect the elegant upscale eateryt is much the same with rules for appropriate attire. .

Quote:
You'll need to spend more time in Wisconsin to truly understand.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
Also included: relish tray, crunchy breadsticks, giant iceburg salad w/sterling silver boat full of drsssing, cup of brothy soup, white table cloth.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:53 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times
This thread is hilarious, because the other day I was walking down Milwaukee Ave and noticed an old supper club that has been long out of business; it is near the intersection Milwaukke and Paulina, and I thought it would be hilarious if the place re-opened up as some sort of hip version of a supper club, serving vegan and vegetarian fare within the confines of a purposely sarcastic supper club mock-up, even going as far as having some old time stand-up comic. The waiters could wear white jackets and bow ties.

Also - here is a good example of some of the garishness and cheesiness of the supper club, from that long-gone era...The Gobbler:

LILEKS (James) :: the Gobbler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago