Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:53 AM

838 posts, read 3,096,861 times

Advertisements

Kunming did not host the world fair. It hosted the international garden expo.So shanghai is still going to be the first to host the world fair in china

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
Second. Kunming hosted it in 1999. Kunming is China, southwest of where the big earthquake hit earlier this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:22 PM

19 posts, read 44,302 times
Default Where do people come up with such impressions?

Fried bugs?!! In Shanghai?!!! A few months before the Olympics, I spent a month touring the major Eastern Chinese cities: Beijing, Qingdao, Shanghai, Xian, etc.. They are all major metropolises, filled with busy, hardworking people, and dedicated students. The Chinese government is actively engaged in upgrading the urban and supporting infrastructures--new highways, power transmission lines, airports, rapid transit. Far from being backward areas that US citizens should dread to visit, they are amazingly modern, embarrassingly so when compared to the decaying infrastructure of even relatively prosperous US cities (e.g. Minneapolis). Impressive modern architecture is everywhere. And celebrations! China is great for them. Shanghai has a phenomenal light show along the waterfront every night.

China has changed a lot in the last couple of years. Don't rely on tall tales from the neighborhood Vietnam vet. Take a community college conversational mandarin class, get a phrasebook, and get over there yourself. You will find that the people are decent, the subways are clean, and the food is delicious. One caveat: in Shanghai, there is a classic scam in which cute girls approach isolated white people "to practice their English" (which is actually pretty good). Their trick is to keep the victim engaged in conversation long enough to suggest, in an offhand way, that they know a nice place to relax and have a snack. The restaurant is in on the scam, and takes the victim for a big overpriced meal tab.
HTH

Old 11-01-2008, 06:09 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,885 times
India has about 12 mega cities nobody can name. Shanghai will be completely impoverished if economy remains bad. China is still communist, but america may overtake it.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:50 PM

38 posts, read 106,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You should see the pics my Aunt took of the roaches from when she lived in China.

I know a couple of people really well that have lived in China, Japan, and Korea. The stories are so horrid I do not think I even want to visit any of those places.
There are some parts of asia that are dirty, and some that are clean. While some people eat bugs I doubt most people do, and I doubt it's a delicacy.

What a stereotype - and you guys get all pissy when people talk abut the midwest as flyover country...

Last edited by HRTplz; 11-01-2008 at 06:59 PM..

Old 11-01-2008, 07:59 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times
Back in '80s, Japan was supposed to take over world...smart people back then asked why they had encountered so few smart financiers/engineers/businessmen in Tokyo...

Over last 10yrs, a running joke on trading desks has been to ask why there's so little IQ in London, comparing their best trading desks vs US' best....stock and debt markets seem to revolve around a lot of rather sharp hedgies and private equity guys in towns like Manhattan, Greenwich, SF, BeverlyHills and Chicago....

Many Indians will be first to comment that the sharpest kids coming out of India's IITs have emigrated to US for grad school at Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, U-IL, Carnegie-Mellon, etc...and have never left US....and this migration has been on-going for some 40yrs....

Really should ask, to where do smartest, most industrious kids on planet want to emigrate?...to predict which regions are likely to dominate in future...

Skyscrapers, Olympics, sports teams, etc are the most laughable evidence of regions "trying too hard" to be taken seriously....nearly all the billionaires in SiliconValley and BeverlyHills work in nondescript, suburban office parks; perhaps 30-40% of the billionaires in NYC region work in suburban office parks in Greenwich area; and most Manhattan billionaires work in POS 40 yr-old skyscrapers in Midtown that most towers in Loop dwarf in elegance and amenities....

As Japan has shown, being a lower-cost, low-IQ producer of underwear, shoes, cars...or doing low-end IT outsourcing (as in case of India)...only goes so far in advancing any economy and living standards...esp when smartest people in 3rdWorld (and EU and Japan) seem to continue to want to migrate to the ole US....Darwinian selection...talent easily flows across borders to where people want to live and work, not necessarily where they might have been born...

Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoshi View Post
There are some parts of asia that are dirty, and some that are clean. While some people eat bugs I doubt most people do, and I doubt it's a delicacy.

What a stereotype - and you guys get all pissy when people talk abut the midwest as flyover country...
Thanks for singling only me out. Try reading all the pages in the thread next time before commenting.

I never said anything about people eating bugs.

When I was referring to roaches, I was relating the stories (of a few people I know really well) about the average persons living quarters in a couple cities in Korea,China, and Japan. All the people that told me about the roaches lived in those places a year or more.

Stick that in your pipe.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:39 PM

38 posts, read 106,213 times
Your right, I didn't mean to single you out, yours was just the post that I hit the quote button on.

But you know what, you guys go wah wah when east and west coast ppl talk about the midwest as flyover country, and you dismiss entire countries cause they have roaches, countries that you're pretty ignorant about.

Yea asia has roaches, so do we, and we also have a rat problem, wasn't whole foods shut down cause of that? Whatever, I'm not going to try to argue or quantify which regions are more dirty. My point is that some of y'all that are talking about this are very ignorant about asia and still making generalizations about it.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoshi View Post
...and you dismiss entire countries cause they have roaches, countries that you're pretty ignorant about.
I do not dismiss Asian countries. I really have no desire to live in any of them however. I would be open to visiting some of them-but alas I do not have that kind of money. I do not think reservations about style/type/standard of living,etc, in Asia means I dislike the cultures or peoples of Asia.

Furthermore, I would rather not go to any of the communist countries in Asia (or anywhere else for that matter) at all.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-01-2008 at 09:37 PM..

Old 11-01-2008, 09:01 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,885 times
What is the present day definition of Communism?

Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
What is the present day definition of Communism?
When we banish you from the Chicago forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago