Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,478,478 times

Advertisements

Uhh, Jewel does suck. And not even in a typical local chain grocery store way -- in a run down, poorly organized, stuck in the past kind of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 10:10 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,633,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
comment about jewel was ignorant or just intended to elicit a reaction.
No, it is a firmly held belief. To be fair, Dominick's sucks too--and the level that each one sucks varies from store to store.

Chicago has wonderful grocery options as far as ethnic markets, farmers markets, wholesalers, butchers, high-end purveyors, and other specialty stores are concerned. But the large chain grocery stores in Chicago are the worst I have seen anywhere outside of the rural South. Both Jewel and Dominicks are disgraceful.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:59 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,047,271 times
Wasn't referring to you comment but someone else who likened F&O to new Urban Jewel (at best, might have been talking about a regular Jewel). It thought that was too exaggerated to take seriously. F&O is in a completely different league. Like you, I think Jewel sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
No, it is a firmly held belief. To be fair, Dominick's sucks too--and the level that each one sucks varies from store to store.

Chicago has wonderful grocery options as far as ethnic markets, farmers markets, wholesalers, butchers, high-end purveyors, and other specialty stores are concerned. But the large chain grocery stores in Chicago are the worst I have seen anywhere outside of the rural South. Both Jewel and Dominicks are disgraceful.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:38 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,633,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Wasn't referring to you comment but someone else who likened F&O to new Urban Jewel (at best, might have been talking about a regular Jewel). It thought that was too exaggerated to take seriously. F&O is in a completely different league. Like you, I think Jewel sucks.
That makes sense. I couldn't figure out why someone would be so defensive about Jewel!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,435,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Uhh, Jewel does suck. And not even in a typical local chain grocery store way -- in a run down, poorly organized, stuck in the past kind of way.
The one by Ashland and Milwaukee does, but I am telling you about 75% do not suck.

Wait till you see the one the are going to build on Southport near Addison.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:12 PM

27 posts, read 63,371 times
So what do you guys think of Trader Joe's?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:17 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,606,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrgrrrl View Post

Its awesome, but more of a "supplement" store. I wouldnt really go in there with the intention of filling my entire shopping list. Prices are often cheaper than major grocery stores depending on the item, but sometimes much more. You have to pay attention.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,047,271 times
I don't think there is one anywhere particularly close to me. Have been only once so don't have an opinion. Are there any located near the center of the city with good parking options?

I like F&O because from Hyde Park I could be door-to-door in 15 minutes, free valet parking for 90 minutes, very good cafe, and the 100 European brands of olive oil dovetail with my liberal elite sensibilities. I think F&O is a little more for people who like good food and less so for people who are interested in being healthy (e.g. like whole foods). To some extent of course they are both yuppie affectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrgrrrl View Post

Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,478,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The one by Ashland and Milwaukee does, but I am telling you about 75% do not suck.

Wait till you see the one the are going to build on Southport near Addison.
I've been to five -- 3 in the 'burbs, 2 in the city and all 5 are sub par at best. I think Dominick's is overpriced, but from the few I've been to they've had a better selection. All 5 of the Jewel's had some of the worst produce I've seen in a long time.

Honestly ... I miss Schnucks. Anyone who's been to one can probably feel my pain.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,435,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I've been to five -- 3 in the 'burbs, 2 in the city and all 5 are sub par at best. I think Dominick's is overpriced, but from the few I've been to they've had a better selection. All 5 of the Jewel's had some of the worst produce I've seen in a long time.

Honestly ... I miss Schnucks. Anyone who's been to one can probably feel my pain.
Please just for me list the ones you have been to. I am pretty sure you have just had really bad luck. Like I said maybe 25%-33% of the Jewels suck, but they have way more stores than Dominick's now. About 50% of Dominick's really suck bad.

Well if produce is your determining factor yeah Jewel is not that great with it;but neither is Dominick's. I would not expect great produce at either anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago