Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 06:25 PM

5 posts, read 16,444 times

Advertisements

First, I would like to say that any info you provide would be appreciated.

I am from Washington DC, 19 years old and currently attending American University majoring in Info tech & finance. But would like to transfer to either DePaul or Loyola..(hopefully)

1. How are the colleges? are they big name schools in the Chicago area as far as employment is concerned?

2. I would be living in chicago for 3 years so I need a good spot to call home if the dorm situation don't work out, Any recommendation??

3. How is life in Chicago when compared to Washington DC? will I be subjected to cultural shock??

4. I half Italian and half ethiopian, I know there are a lot of Italians but are they in the city?? what about Ethiopians, any ethiopian restaurants? where do most reside?

5. Is the city welcoming? do I have to go out of my way to make friends?? I plan on exploring the city and it is one of my main reasons for moving.

6. Is it that much colder than Washington DC? or is it just hype?

I know it is a lot of questions, BUT I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT

edit

Oh and should I bring my car?? is it necessary?

long drive from home(dc, My main concern for this is during at the end of the year when I have to move out the dorms(lots of stuff).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 09:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
To the extent that there is an "Ethiopian community" in Chicago, it would be found mostly in the Edgewater neighborhood. (There aren't really enough Ehtiopians to form a true ethnic enclave in the city, but the closest you'll find is Edgewater.) I know of at least three Ethiopian restaurants in Edgewater, maybe four but I believe the fourth may have closed. Loyola happens to sit right on the northern border of Edgewater.

The Chicago market is big enough to absorb graduates from colleges all across the Midwest, and that includes Loyola and DePaul. Those two schools won't necessarily be favored just because they're located in Chicago. You will also be competing with graduates from Northwestern, Univeristy of Chicago, University of Illinois, University of Illinois at Chicago, University of Iowa, Iowa State, University of Wisconsin, Marquette, University of Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana University, Purdue, all of Illinois' second-tier state schools (NIU, SIU, EIU, WIU, ISU, CSU, etc.), and so forth. Chicago is at least the secondary job market for all of these schools, and the primary market for many if not most of them.

Where you choose to live should depend on where you end up at school.

There are plenty of Italians in the city.

The city is welcoming enough.

Yes, it's notably colder than Washington. We've already had snow, albeit it didn't accumulate.

I doubt the culture shock will be too substantial.

If you bring a car you might have a hard time finding a place to park it, depending on which neighborhood you live in. Public transportation is comprehensive enough and cabs are plentiful enough that you won't need it.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 AM

6 posts, read 8,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift08 View Post
I half Italian and half ethiopian, I know there are a lot of Italians but are they in the city?? what about Ethiopians, any ethiopian restaurants? where do most reside?
There are alot of ethiopians.. in Chicago. Pretty tight knit. Especially Amharas and Eritrean.Being half italian and ethiopian is not view favorably with these ethnitices. You know why already. However, there woyane who will welcome you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: