Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
I just spent the weekend in Chicago and was struggling to find neighborhoods with a high number of bars and a tad bit of diversity.
Yeah, it can be tough at first to find what you're looking for. I had the same thing happen to me when I first got to Chicago last month.

I've actually been using a site called howsthebar.com to find places lately. It works pretty well--better than just googling and driving around anyway.

EDIT: ack, automatic url-tagging FTL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
damn that sucks.
I was led to believe that I could find a bit of diversity at most places I went to in Chicago.
Actually, I told you if you didn't like the lack of diversity at most bars in St. Louis you wouldn't find Chicago significantly different.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:11 PM

10 posts, read 26,442 times
Yeah sorry there is no diversity in Chicago as far as the bar scene goes. Welcome to one of the most racist cities in America. If you want diversity you have to move to Hyde Park but there is NO nightlife. If you want nightlife you need to move to Lincoln Park, Bucktown, etc. But that's mostly yuppies (i.e. white) It's sad but it's reality and most newcomers to the city figure that out very quickly.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:19 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelysoul View Post
Yeah sorry there is no diversity in Chicago as far as the bar scene goes. Welcome to one of the most racist cities in America. If you want diversity you have to move to Hyde Park but there is NO nightlife. If you want nightlife you need to move to Lincoln Park, Bucktown, etc. But that's mostly yuppies (i.e. white) It's sad but it's reality and most newcomers to the city figure that out very quickly.
I'm Asian and I've had no issues getting to know people. Sure the social scene may be predominantly white but most people are cool and you find ways to relate to people transcending race, religion, sexual orientation. We're all here trying to make it in this world.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:20 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelysoul View Post
What whiney bullsh*t.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:29 PM

10 posts, read 26,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
I'm Asian and I've had no issues getting to know people. Sure the social scene may be predominantly white but most people are cool and you find ways to relate to people transcending race, religion, sexual orientation. We're all here trying to make it in this world.

Never said that white ppl weren't cool or that he/she would have a problem getting to know people. Just saying that most of the areas where nightlife is big there's not a ton of diversity. There aren't many Asians, Black, or Latinos in Lincoln Park or similar neighborhoods. Sure they travel there to go to bars but as far as LIVING in the area. . . no. Logan Square has a little more diversity but if you ask some people that is considered to be "bad" neighborhood.

If someone is looking for diversity then they aren't going to be happy with a place like Lincoln Park.

I have a friend (he's white) who moved from California and he ******es all the time about how there aren't enough "brown" people in Chicago. In LA there is so much diversity that you don't even think about race is in opinion. Here he tells me he gets sick of seeing so many white faces in the places he travels. (River North, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Bucktown, etc)

I agree that white ppl are cool. In fact, all people are cool independent of race. It's more about personality IMO but the fact that Chicago lacks diversity can't be ignored or denied. Specifically when someone seeks that in his or her daily life.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 PM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 871,648 times
Quote:
And as I said before, as long as even the white kids my age are open minded and just generally cool about hanging out with everyone else then I'll be just fine. The ridiculously easy attention from the girls in Bucktown was good...The 1% latino population and the very libertarian "Separate but equal" (no mixing) in my home city was not riding well with me

This is what separates Chicago from my hometown...
A large majority of the people seem very cool and open...At home my views got warped and a place that was all or mostly white would not ride well with me due to a long long lonnnnng string of bad history.

It's been good in the Chi and the "white people" are cool and easy to talk to. Truly a place that I'm not feeling like my skin color instantly dictates that I'm a drug dealing poor illegal mexican immigrant....probably because the people in Chicago actually know what that looks like :-D

Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
In my life as a white Chicagoan, I feel that I end up mixing socially with Latinos/Latinas and Asians on a very frequent basis. I feel the lack of diversity in Chicago's night life is more of a black/white divide--and I see that in California too. The black people I end up hanging out with professionally and socially seem to be either mixed-race, or they grew up around a lot of white people or got exposed to a lot of white people in higher education settings. California just has a much larger population of Asians, and the Latinos/Latinas have been there longer--so that explains the general predominance of brown skin in all social settings. But I don't really see a high degree of black/white integration there either.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Chicago is very diverse. I lived, worked and hung around with Irish, Italians, Jews, Poles, Lithuanians, Bohemians, Mexicans, Serbs, Hillbillys, Germans---what's the big deal?

Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 AM

810 posts, read 2,160,708 times
Quote:
for a little more clarity I'm not the county boy who's scared to go to a certain neighborhood either.
I'm open for pretty much anything and everything.
not a scared county boy, eh?
better not skateboard wherever chicago's tourist trap(s) is/are.

ff'd to 1:07

YouTube - Baltimore Cop vs Skater

Last edited by vivo; 11-24-2008 at 01:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago