Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
True, but as long as there are people who say things like 'the trees are painted white to cover graffiti', Candide Manigault's view is appreciated, if a bit ridiculous. Hope he doesn't mislead any earnest and naive truth-seekers, though.
Prove to me they are not painted to cover graffiti. I think I will be waiting for that proof a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:50 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Prove to me they are not painted to cover graffiti. I think I will be waiting for that proof a very long time.
not sure if this is proof, but white painted trees aren't unheard of:

Why are some tree trunks painted white? - Common Questions Answered

happy mundane: painted trees? (according to one comment, trees in the Midwest are painted to prevent insect damage/sun/water seepage)

Other: Tree trunks painted white (http://www.ask4greece.org/answer/99/ - broken link)

all the trees were painted white like this

All the trees were painted white, not sure why. | Brandon A. Cox - Personal and Pastor's Blog (http://www.brandonacox.com/photoalbums/photo/2267256812/all-the-trees-were-painted-white-not-sure-why.html - broken link)

doesn't quite explain the exact reasons why only a few trees are painted (I've personally never seen a painted tree, and I've lived in some iffy areas)

Old 11-25-2008, 12:57 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
not sure if this is proof, but white painted trees aren't unheard of:

Why are some tree trunks painted white? - Common Questions Answered

happy mundane: painted trees? (according to one comment, trees in the Midwest are painted to prevent insect damage/sun/water seepage)

Other: Tree trunks painted white (http://www.ask4greece.org/answer/99/ - broken link)

all the trees were painted white like this

All the trees were painted white, not sure why. | Brandon A. Cox - Personal and Pastor's Blog (http://www.brandonacox.com/photoalbums/photo/2267256812/all-the-trees-were-painted-white-not-sure-why.html - broken link)

doesn't quite explain the exact reasons why only a few trees are painted (I've personally never seen a painted tree, and I've lived in some iffy areas)
Well at least there is evidence in these links that trees CAN BE painted white for reasons other than bug issues. That is my main point. Other people on here are so sure that the ONLY reason trees are painted white are for bug issues.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:16 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well at least there is evidence in these links that trees CAN BE painted white for reasons other than bug issues. That is my main point. Other people on here are so sure that the ONLY reason trees are painted white are for bug issues.
I grew up on the south side. Hung out in areas where there was a fair amount of graffiti. Never in a million years did I ever see a graffiti covered tree.

I saw a lot of white tree trunks though - and I can say with 100% certainty that those trees weren't painted white to cover up tagging. Why tag a tree when there was a whole side of a building 10-20 feet away? Just doesn't make sense.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:48 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Why tag a tree when there was a whole side of a building 10-20 feet away?
in addition to the unpainted part of tree above hip level

Old 11-25-2008, 07:53 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
I tell you what: I'll go back down 63rd street tonite and check it out, i.e. the trees. Did anyone notice they are new plantings, which are usually vulnerable to bugs and dogs? Been on the south side 30 years -- I've seen garages, buildings and cement with gang symbols -- never small trees.

I have no disillusions about Englewood. But to think that folks are out stabbing each other and having shootouts in the street 24-7 is inaccurate. Also, the view that the place is all deteriorating housing is obviously false. Plus it cannot be all poor folk -- someone is shelling out the $200k for those new townhouses. Something must be going into their decision to buy a new house in an old area.

I'm not trying to paint a pretty picture but an accurate one. I'm the one who went there to check it out and show folks some street scenes from this week -- not news photo ops.

And living in Englewood would not cut my commute time.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:23 PM

9 posts, read 20,390 times
I can't believe there's a serious discussion about graffiti trees. How long did you spend under a rock to assume that?

Old 11-25-2008, 03:48 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
I think you're right. I'll save a trip -- some folks will never be convinced that those are not graffiti trees, no matter the explanation.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
As Dave Barry might say, "Graffiti Tree" would make an excellent name for a rock band.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:05 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I think you're right. I'll save a trip -- some folks will never be convinced that those are not graffiti trees, no matter the explanation.
Uh, I think you mean 'one folk'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago