Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:34 PM
REM REM started this thread

368 posts, read 991,067 times

Advertisements

How hard is it to get into columbia college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 PM

926 posts, read 2,738,367 times
what major? my mom is a professor and academic advisor there, I can check if I know your major

Old 11-19-2008, 09:46 PM

142 posts, read 429,672 times
My boyfriend recently graduated from Columbia College. He's incredibly smart, but considers himself an "alternative learner." (He did home-schooling for HS, and knew that a large, highly-structured college wasn't for him.)

While it's definitely tougher than many of the city colleges, it's still easier to be admitted than say, Loyola or DePaul. With that being said, it's a very good school, especially if you're looking to get into a media/design/creative-type career. My boyfriend's degree is in Fiction Writing, and we have a few friends doing the Film & Cinematography program there.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 PM

Well I'm only a junior in HS right now but i'm thinking about Fiction Writing, Film, Or Journalism.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,285,707 times
Columbia is open admission. you're asked to submit an essay, but I don't think its a deciding factor for admission. I joked in another thread that the only requirements for admission into Columbia is to be human and have money to pay for the tuition/fees, and it's not that far from the truth. some majors may require something extra, like a portfolio or audition, but not the Fiction Writing or Journalism depts. I'm a fiction writing major there now (may minor in television writing soon) and love it so far. don't let the open admission standards fool you into thinking the school is easy though! the FW dept is pretty tough and isn't a cakewalk! though the general education courses are so easy, IMO, at least the ones I took so far

Old 11-19-2008, 10:15 PM

That you Evee, can you maby sum up how much it cost to get into?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:22 PM

838 posts, read 3,085,215 times
How much money do u have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
How hard is it to get into columbia college?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,036,129 times
Columbia College is open admission, however, it is not open graduation, you do have to work (in most classes) for your grade. If you are the sort of person looking to attend a school with 'name cache', then you should look elsewhere, but in certain fields of study, it should not be dismissed based on its lax entrance requirements. However, it is the sort of school you should consider transferring to after completing your general education courses somewhere a bit less expensive as that is not their strength, nor should you pay their tuition to complete them there.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:28 PM

838 posts, read 3,085,215 times
If you want to do writing the school to go to is the creative writing program of Johns Hopkins; if you want to produce film, you should go to University of Southern californial; if you want to get into Journalism, Columbia University in NYC or Yale will best serve your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
Well I'm only a junior in HS right now but i'm thinking about Fiction Writing, Film, Or Journalism.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:28 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,285,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
If you want to do writing the school to go to is the creative writing program of Johns Hopkins; if you want to produce film, you should go to University of Southern californial; if you want to get into Journalism, Columbia University in NYC or Yale will best serve your needs.
well, jeez, I'm sure people are aware that there are other schools w/ these majors anyways, the OP asked about Columbia, so people are giving him info on that school.

seriously, prestige is nice and everything, but not everyone can get into the above schools or even want to go to the above schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago