Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:27 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Note how the gentrifiers put locked fences in front of their buildings, you never used to see that kind of thing. Such people fence off their stoops and don't sit on them anyway. Stoop sitting was a big part of neighborhood feeling.
Yeah that's really true.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:33 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
No kidding. Stoop-sitting and socializing on the porch. I spent so much of my childhood watching adults sitting on their porches, walking over to the next door neighbor's porch, etc. When we were kids we would play on the front porch when it was raining and mom wanted us out of our hair. THat's how we got to know our neighbors was via stoop-sitting. I remember summer nights, sitting on the porch eating popsicles while the adults talked about "adult stuff." It was great because the street lights came on (our signal to come inside) but the parents were so engrossed in their conversations that we were glad they didn't realize. We felt like we were getting over on playtime. We would have block parties. Gosh....I need to stop already.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:41 PM

152 posts, read 572,434 times
Why nobody has the guts to call things with their name anymore?? Has politically correctness really screwed us up so bad? The original poster is a racist plain and simple, like many latinos!! I have the fortune (or misfortune) to understand and speak spanish and being around a lot of hispanic people, my wife being dominican, and I can assure you that the vast majority of the hispanic population all over the country can't stand "white people" or "gringos" like they call them. Gringo itself, although it's not a slur per se, it's always meant in a very racist and very degrading way, as offensive as calling a black person "nigro". Still, it appears like most white people live in oblivion not knowing that they are hated in their own country by people who uses this country like an ATM and trash and despise everything else. Latinos don't like white americans or whoever don't speak spanish and they are one of the most racist ethnic groups that I have ever known of in my entire life. Just imagine if a "gringo" would have posted a thread saying that there are too many latinos in their neighborhood...hell would break loose...
Relect gringos....reflect...

Last edited by gabry76; 12-01-2008 at 05:52 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
Why nobody has the guts to call things with their name anymore?? Has politically correctness really screwed us up so bad? The original poster is a racist plain and simple, like many latinos!! I have the fortune (or misfortune) to understand and speak spanish and being around a lot of hispanic people, my wife being dominican, and I can assure you that the vast majority of the hispanic population all over the country can't stand "white people" or "gringos" like they call them. Gringo itself, although it's not a slur per se, it's always meant in a very racist and very degrading way, as offensive as calling a black person "nigro". Still, it appears like most white people live in oblivion not knowing that they are hated in their own country by people who uses this country like an ATM and trash and despise everything else. Latinos don't like white americans or whoever don't speak spanish and they are one of the most racist ethnic groups that I have ever known of in my entire life. Just imagine if a "gringo" would have posted a thread saying that there are too many latinos in their neighborhood...hell would break loose...
Relect gringos....reflect...
Do you have any specific examples? And I think if a white person raised concern about too many latino's in their neighborhood it would not be a big deal and I would sympathize with them. However, if someone complained about too many black people, that might be a different story. Big difference though.

But it seems like ur take on Latino's is over generilizing, I'm sure there are some that might not like white america, but I have yet to meet any in Chicago who don't have white friends or who hate white people. Actually, alot of their parents are really openly racist towards black people or another Latino group more than anything else. Still doesn't make it right though.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 PM

152 posts, read 572,434 times
What...the original post is not enough?? Unbelievable! I can give you thousands of examples: just last saturday night the word gringo in the most demeaning way came up at least a dozen times while in company of some hispanics friends of my wife's. The hispanic owner of the salon I usually go to said, and I quote, "gringos are all crazy", among other things I'm too polite to repeat. An hispanic contractor speaking on the phone with my wife while negotioating a paint job, knowing she's dominican told her: "oh so you live east of western, where all the crazy gringos live", like she was renegating her heritage because we live in a white neighborhood. Waiting at the bus stop, eavesdropping on hispanics talking to each other I often happen to hear slurs and degrading comments against gringos...you see that's why I say I'm lucky to understand spanish...you have no idea the things they say when they think you don't understand. And I have countless of other examples from the time I used to live in Miami. It's true though that latinos of second generation born in the US tend to be less racist toward gringos, but the culture they grow up in is still very racist. Need more examples? I can give you plentiful!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
I dunno, I've seen quite a few Irish-Mexican marriages including two of my cousins who married Mexicans. Maybe the Mexicans like the Irish better than they like whites.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
What...the original post is not enough?? Unbelievable! I can give you thousands of examples: just last saturday night the word gringo in the most demeaning way came up at least a dozen times while in company of some hispanics friends of my wife's. The hispanic owner of the salon I usually go to said, and I quote, "gringos are all crazy", among other things I'm too polite to repeat. An hispanic contractor speaking on the phone with my wife while negotioating a paint job, knowing she's dominican told her: "oh so you live east of western, where all the crazy gringos live", like she was renegating her heritage because we live in a white neighborhood. Waiting at the bus stop, eavesdropping on hispanics talking to each other I often happen to hear slurs and degrading comments against gringos...you see that's why I say I'm lucky to understand spanish...you have no idea the things they say when they think you don't understand. And I have countless of other examples from the time I used to live in Miami. It's true though that latinos of second generation born in the US tend to be less racist toward gringos, but the culture they grow up in is still very racist. Need more examples? I can give you plentiful!
Oh yeah Miami is terrible with that, I'm down in South Florida right now actually as I tipe this, and just got back from there a couple of days ago. I'd actually be interested to hear some stories, cause even I, being half white and half mexican, was met with some hostility down there, despite my spanish. I consider the whole snobbish attitude u find with the latino's down in miami though different from the latino's anywhere else. Gringo I think is an over hyped word, but I can understand why some might be offended by it. Many white friends of mine just call them "cinnamon skin" or "boarder jumpers" if they get offended, and that usually shuts em up, usually its all in fun though. And I do think the OP was an idiot in some of his own ways, but I can understand where he is generally coming from. But my experience with most Chicago Latino's is the strong hatred for blacks and other Latino groups (ie Mexicans and Puerto Ricans), and jealous/envious of whites. Everyone's experience is different though.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:17 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,077,914 times
I think pretty much everyone is at least a little racist. Latin Americans as a whole aren't particularly politically correct, so there is less of a filter there. First thing my Mexican contractor said when he saw my neighborhood was "es lindo pero hay demasiado morenos". He actually said he liked Pilsen because there weren't so many morenos and actually there are more and more "hueros" (that's the word mexicans use for white people -- it's not really pejorative).

Quote:

Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Note how the gentrifiers put locked fences in front of their buildings, you never used to see that kind of thing. Such people fence off their stoops and don't sit on them anyway. Stoop sitting was a big part of neighborhood feeling...
I have seen Blacks,Gypsies,Polish,Greeks,Italians, and Hispanics (as well as others) putting up these fences the last 25 years in Chicago long before the gentrifiers started coming in. I do not think what you are saying is true at all. People such as these were the first to use the black wrought iron locked gates-not the gentrifiers.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
...First thing my Mexican contractor said when he saw my neighborhood was "es lindo pero hay demasiado morenos"...
Why not translate the whole sentence? Not everyone here understands every word in Mexican Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago