Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:15 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
If Chicago keeps going in the direction its going, its gonna end up like an oversized Portland or Seattle or Austin,
You mean like cities that people really like living in?

Old 11-27-2008, 11:19 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Which Ukranian Village do you want to stay the same? The one where it was actually Ukranian, or the one when hispanics initially began to move in, or what it is today?

Like I said, things change. And if anyone started a post complaining about how Puerto Ricans are moving into their neighborhood, destroying "the culture", they'd be torn to shreds, and rightly so.

Yet its okay to constantly harp on the horror that is white people moving into neighborhoods. They've got as much right to Humboldt Park as the Puerto Ricans did when it was largely an italian neighborhood. And you've got the right to whine about it on the internet, over and over and over again. And I've got the right to hand you a tissue and tell you its going to be okay.
I'm part white and part mexican, it's nothing racial. I've cleared this up in like 2 or 3 of my posts, and I know plenty of white people from Chicago who say the same thing about hipsters. Plus I've already been repped two times, people obviously agree.

Last edited by Banx; 11-27-2008 at 11:34 PM..

Old 11-27-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
You mean like cities that people really like living in?
That are culturally bland, overly pretentious about there "hip" ways and are nothing like Chicago? Yes.

If I wanted to live in any of those places, I'D MOVE THERE... doesn't take a genious to figure that out

Last edited by Banx; 11-27-2008 at 11:34 PM..

Old 11-27-2008, 11:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Which Ukranian Village do you want to stay the same? The one where it was actually Ukranian, or the one when hispanics initially began to move in, or what it is today?

Like I said, things change. And if anyone started a post complaining about how Puerto Ricans are moving into their neighborhood, destroying "the culture", they'd be torn to shreds, and rightly so.

Yet its okay to constantly harp on the horror that is white people moving into neighborhoods. They've got as much right to Humboldt Park as the Puerto Ricans did when it was largely an italian neighborhood. And you've got the right to whine about it on the internet, over and over and over again. And I've got the right to hand you a tissue and tell you its going to be okay.
Best post in this thread, by far.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:41 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
I'm part white and part mexican, it's nothing racial. I've cleared this up in like 2 or 3 of my posts, and I know plenty of white people from Chicago who say the same thing about hipsters.
One breath you talk of how these 'hipsters' (aka white kids in their 20's) are "ethnically cleansing" the city, next you say its nothing racial?

Don't kid yourself.

I'm sensitive to the downsides of gentrification. But I'm also tired of the hyperbole that comes along with any mention of white kids moving into non-white (at least for the past few decades before they were predominantly white) neighborhoods.

But, really, Humboldt Park isn't going anywhere anytime soon. If there is a significant change 15 years from now, and it looks more like Ukranian Village of today, then at least we'll have a few more blocks of the city where people aren't getting shot.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
One breath you talk of how these 'hipsters' (aka white kids in their 20's) are "ethnically cleansing" the city, next you say its nothing racial?

Don't kid yourself.
OK I can see where ur drawing ur conclusions from, but I meant more as in a sense of culturally cleansing, and even used the term "culturally cleansing" too. I also talked about the irish, italians, polish and germans of Chicago too. So I can see where your coming from, but please quit over blowing race. I would say the same thing if this city became completely Mexican, or completely black, or puerto rican, or or polish, or (insert race/culture here). Besides when I talk of ethnic cleansing, I was also in mind referring to black neighborhoods too, where blacks have been as long as the whites, and are also being flooded out. I'm just saying, why can't the hipsters stay in Belmont or Wrigleyville or Lakeview or something? Why shove ur culture down everybody's throat? And just to clear up, I'm not referring to all white people, I'm referring to hipsters and/or the hipster culture.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:44 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
There is not such area called Belmont. If you are referring to Belmont and Clark that is in the community of Lake View. Or if you prefer the neighborhood of East Lake View or Lake View East.

As far as "hipsters" most of them live in Rogers Park,Logan Square,Uptown,Wicker Park,Ukrainian Village,E. Humboldt Park, and Pilsen. Most hipsters (and they are for the most part are not the same hipsters that you claim are invading Humboldt Park) have not lived in most parts of Lake View (which includes Wrigleyville" and what you call "Belmont") for about 5-15 years if they really ever did at all.

Being a hipster is not one in the same with being a yuppie. You can be both,but one does not usually equate the other.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
There is not such area called Belmont. If you are referring to Belmont and Clark that is in the community of Lake View. Or if you prefer the neighborhood of East Lake View or Lake View East.

Belmont is an area just as Wrigleyville is an area. I should have used the word area instead of neighborhood, but I thought most people would get the point. The whole "Belmont" scene extends beyond Clark and Belmont, just like the whole Wrileyville scene extends beyond Clark and Addison, making it an area, if u wanna get all technical about it.

And hipsters and yuppies are similiar enough, both boring, outsiders who try and play the acoustic guitar and end up driving out droves of people from their neighborhoods, including black ones like Hyde Park. Not to mention, from what I've seen they both tend to move to the same neighborhoods. If you want I can go back and change every post to hipster AND yuppies.

Last edited by Banx; 11-28-2008 at 07:50 AM..

Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
I'll tell you what. In most of the remaining white ethnic blue collar neighborhoods, the so-called "outsiders" moving in are Hispanics and African-Americans, not white hipsters.

What this city really needs is laws which restrict where people can live. We'll call them restrictive covenants for the sake of simplicity. Give the hipsters the north lake front. Give the Puerto Riccans Humboldt Park. The Chinese can stay in Chinatown obviously. Eggheads get Hyde Park. African Americans can go back to their historic neighborhood of Bronzeville. Mexicans stay in Pilsen (Or maybe Pilsen is reserved for the Czechs?) Anyone not living in their designated neighborhood after a grace period of say, 1 year, will forfeit any rights to police protection. Then we can let vigilante gangs force out those recalcitrant few who dare to try to live wherever they want.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:47 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times
Before Division was Puerto Rican, it was Polish. Very little evidence left of that now. It's just the cycle of neighborhood change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago